Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thumbs down feature?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Probably been covered by why is it actually disabled? There are certainly threads (usually political) where it would be a good indicator on certain issues. Having just the thumbs up feature comes across a bit "Everyone wins at sports day" to me

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Think there were a few reasons, but I seem to remember at the time Bozza saying it discouraged people from replying to posts they didn't like, they just got lazy and clicked the thumbs down.

IMHO NSC is better without it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Thumbs down would be given based on a differing viewpoint rather than the argument itself. It would be little more than a popularity poll.

It's a lazy way of disagreeing with a point of view rather than having the resolve and taking the time to reply in a considered, measured way.

The threat of receiving thumbs down votes might dissuade some from expressing alternative counter cultural viewpoints, however valid.

It would also be a way of emphasizing differences between us and things we disagree on rather than those which we share.

In short, I think it did make NSC a more negative place when it was there.

Thumbs down to thumbs down.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
The professional easy offended will be delighted with this feature reinstated. It's pathetic.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Rather than just liking a post instead of giving it a viewpoint of your own?

That's a fair point. Happy to concede that. I should have used 'could' instead of 'would'.

(Comment given as well as thumbs up.)

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Just copy and paste this if you deem it appropriate. Otherwise it's too easy to just hit a button.

thumbs_down.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
At my kids school it is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

Mental

When mine were at junior school it was 'first winner', 'second winner', 'third winner' and so on. I soon explained to my kids that when they apply for a job when they grow up, only one person gets it - and he/she is the only 'winner'

On topic, not keen on a thumbs down. It'd create a negative atmosphere and make people less likely to speak their mind.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here