Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garage Conversions

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Anyone know the approx cost to convert a garage into an office space?

The only utilities required will be central heating. It's a front of house garage so just the one window needed.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing it's then just the flooring, a bit of re-wiring, plastering and redecorating?

I'm guessing I won't get much change from 5 grand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I am looking at the same. I have discussed with a number of people and it varies from £8,000 to £28,000!

Depends on whether you will need any structural stuff done if opening up an existing room to be larger, electrics, plumbing etc. My garage sticks out slightly longer than the kitchen it is next to, so if I want to extend the front out to match it then there are additional costs and roofing etc.

All in all, I am looking to budget around 10 grand for it with a back up 2 just in case.

As it will be an office is there anything you can do to write off some of the cost as a business expense?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
At first glance I was sure it was a Farage conversion and thought it should be on theBrexit thread!!!!!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
This could turn into a "garage conversation"...

I'm at £8-10k to do it well. You could save money by buying bits off eBay, but it's a faff.

You can claim back part of your home bills when you use a home office, and I'd say it's almost certain you can write off the conversion costs (are at least part of them if the tax man deems it adds value to your home) against tax.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Bit more expensive than I'd anticipated then. The current owner of the house I will soon be buying has already got what I think are the insulation boards. Half of the floor has already been fitted. She will be leaving them, so assuming there is enough for the whole garage is this likely to save much?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bit more expensive than I'd anticipated then. The current owner of the house I will soon be buying has already got what I think are the insulation boards. Half of the floor has already been fitted. She will be leaving them, so assuming there is enough for the whole garage is this likely to save much?

You will be saving a little on the materials cost, but the major part will be the labour. Unless your doing it yourself.

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games

Has she applied for permission for this? Without it, you wouldn't be able to claim anything as technically it wouldn't exist until retrospective permission had been granted.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Do it yourself apart from the plumbing, piece of piss

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
A lot of garage conversation near me the problem is many garages are to small for today's cars and many new houses are not built with enough parking spaces due to the pressure to build more houses. With children staying at home longer some houses have 3/4/5 cars so parking becomes a problem.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Has she applied for permission for this? Without it, you wouldn't be able to claim anything as technically it wouldn't exist until retrospective permission had been granted.

Planning permission is not required for a garage conversion. It's permitted development provided the work is generally internal and does not involve any major structural work or expansion outwards. The work will need to comply with building regulations. The OP will need this to ensure the value of any future sale price includes the extra room.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Planning permission is not required for a garage conversion. It's permitted development provided the work is generally internal and does not involve any major structural work or expansion outwards. The work will need to comply with building regulations. The OP will need this to ensure the value of any future sale price includes the extra room.

I thought I'd heard that they did need permission and could be refused on the basis that the conversion would mean an additional car parking on the road if there wasn't sufficient driveway parking for example?

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Assuming you want this passed through building regs, I believe that as well as floor insulation, they may want better wall insulation too, which may not be great in a garage. That can be easy or problematic, depending on whether there are any utilities on the wall - putting insulation board in is obviously much trickier if there is gas/water pipes or meters on there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Another consideration is that when you convert your garage is you can guarantee - as happened with us - when you come to sell your house the first person through the door will be a motorbike enthusiast!

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
I have recently done mine, but have done most of the work myself apart from the electrics, window and plastering. All in I have spent about £3.5k - £4k. It has taken me about 4 months though as I have only been doing bits evenings and weekends!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here