Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying Euros for holiday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Question for those ITK when would be the best tkme to buy Euros for holiday now or wait until we go in September. Somebody must have knowledgeable opinion, but obviously nothing is certain and 100%.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Question for those ITK when would be the best tkme to buy Euros for holiday now or wait until we go in September. Somebody must have knowledgeable opinion, but obviously nothing is certain and 100%.

If worried buy half now and the other half in September. If not worried, just enjoy the holiday and lose or gain 2% either side.:wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would wait as the pound is very weak at the moment. £93.65 for 100€ yesterday at the cash machine. That's £2 more than last week. It's suffered since the election.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How much are you wanting to change? £1000 - £2000?
If its just a few hundred then the difference in the rate between now and then will be so small its not worth worrying about.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tell them you are British, no need for Mickey Mouse money and throw a wad of £10 notes at them.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I would wait. Not that it will improve much anyway after the election results.

I should have been on my way to Turkey tonight :-(

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Key driver for £ strength (or actually weakness) is the political situation. Poor election result has made the prospect of a hard brexit less likely which coupled with Carney's comments around not to expect/bank on any interest rate rises, even with inflationary pressures exhibited, for the foreseeable future have combined to make sterling even less attractive as a traditional safe haven at times of stress. Currency investors instead will see the EUR as a much better bet on a relative basis given the receding populist vote risk and pleasantly improving economic picture where even Spain managed it's 8th quarter of q on q growth.

In short probably buy now as between now and September the only way is down...

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
go down to Halifax on the high street and speak to them about getting a Halifax clarity credit card. Beats any cash rate off the high street . use it abroad to get cash out of the atm or pay as a credit card as you would over here. Pay it off as soon as you get back . definitely don't use it as a credit card in the uk as its a speciality foreign credit card.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Get a euro debit card. I've got one with FairFX but there are dozens of different companies doing them. Always get much better rates than high street rates. Also means you don't have to worry about your bank or credit card getting cloned who you're away.

You're going on holiday, get yerself some euros, go into a bar or restaurant, order what you fancy, and have a few beers. Once finished a nice man or woman will bring you a bill, pay them, stick a couple of Euro's on top (it's Europe no need to go mad) then walk back to your hotel and have a good nights sleep. Unless you are on a perticularly tight budget, don't over think it.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I think you ask the same question every year - and the answer will always be the same - Halifax Clarity card, Santander Zero card or Nationwide card [if you have account]. You then receive inter-bank rates on transactions.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
How much are you wanting to change? £1000 - £2000?
If its just a few hundred then the difference in the rate between now and then will be so small its not worth worrying about.

This !!

I really dont get why people look for the outlets that do the best rates when all they are changing up is a few hundred quid

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This !!

I really dont get why people look for the outlets that do the best rates when all they are changing up is a few hundred quid

Yep, agreed. A few quid either way not worth stressing about. I tend to just take a bit of cash to start with (usually have some kicking around at home) and then use ATMs locally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here