Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing trials in Prem?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Seen a couple of stories in the press over the last couple of days mentioning that the Premier League has contacted all 20 clubs asking if they would trial safe standing.

Seems West Brom are keen:

West Brom have informed the Premier League they are prepared to be part of a pilot scheme to test safe-standing.

The Premier League has written to all 20 clubs asking if they would be interested in taking part in a trial, which could eventually see the reintroduction of standing areas within grounds.

Albion's director of operations Mark Miles has led a study into the prospect of having safe-standing at The Hawthorns.
------------------------------

With Celtic's trial seemingly going OK, wonder if this is taking a step forward?

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
As much as we'd like to see it, not expecting Barber etc to incur the costs of any trial without any certainty it will come in.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Don't going anywhere until the legislation is updated. Given the next two years will be taken up with Brexit, there will be little opportunity to change.

Good luck if you want it, but as I've said before the ships sailed on this, the whole attraction of standing was the "unsafe" element, packed in with yer mates, bit of a surge, knees up Brighton town, losing one of yer Winfield trainers and pisslng into a rolled up newspaper.

Standing against your own little barrier in a marked out yellow boxed area doesn't do it for me.

(However, I do always sign petitions etc in favour of it)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Most of us in the north stand do " safe standing".

Sssshhhhhhhh

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Seen a couple of stories in the press over the last couple of days mentioning that the Premier League has contacted all 20 clubs asking if they would trial safe standing.

Seems West Brom are keen:

West Brom have informed the Premier League they are prepared to be part of a pilot scheme to test safe-standing.

The Premier League has written to all 20 clubs asking if they would be interested in taking part in a trial, which could eventually see the reintroduction of standing areas within grounds.

Albion's director of operations Mark Miles has led a study into the prospect of having safe-standing at The Hawthorns.
------------------------------

With Celtic's trial seemingly going OK, wonder if this is taking a step forward?

Bring it on!!!!

Complete no brainer IMO, got to be better for atmosphere and safer than the current situation where thousands stand up for the whole game in seating areas.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Most of us in the north stand do " safe standing".

Sssshhhhhhhh

I've said it on previous threads about this, but the current status quo in the North has pretty much killed the debate for now. There's virtually no point in spending the money when the vast majority are happy as it is. If there's a return to the days of a hebbard type safety officer sending his henchmen in to throw people out then we might need to revisit the debate, but until that moment things are fine as they are IMHO.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I've said it on previous threads about this, but the current status quo in the North has pretty much killed the debate for now. There's virtually no point in spending the money when the vast majority are happy as it is. If there's a return to the days of a hebbard type safety officer sending his henchmen in to throw people out then we might need to revisit the debate, but until that moment things are fine as they are IMHO.

Yes, there are huge sections of the NS that stand, but it is far from safe. The only reason that nobody has been hurt is because we all look after each other. When we went to Fulham there were people all over the place, falling over the seats in front of them. The current 'stand off' between supporters who stand in seating areas and the clubs that let them do it is not sustainable because of the risks to supporters IMO. In the current legislation there is nothing that requires supporters to actually use the seats provided only that the clubs ensure the seats are there. Its a joke, we now have what are basically terraces with a barrier at knee height for you to trip over. SS, bring it on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just asking, makes no odds to me since I'm not in the Norff but should SS be introduced, and a couple of fans who love their spot but insist on sitting be situated bang in the middle of a designated area........what happened next?

Also, if it did happen and didn't quite live up to all of the expectations, would the clamour then be for 'closer together safe standing'?

As has been said, I think that this particular ship has has well and truly sailed.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes, there are huge sections of the NS that stand, but it is far from safe. The only reason that nobody has been hurt is because we all look after each other. When we went to Fulham there were people all over the place, falling over the seats in front of them. The current 'stand off' between supporters who stand in seating areas and the clubs that let them do it is not sustainable because of the risks to supporters IMO. In the current legislation there is nothing that requires supporters to actually use the seats provided only that the clubs ensure the seats are there. Its a joke, we now have what are basically terraces with a barrier at knee height for you to trip over. SS, bring it on.

I know this is a common argument, but I don't actually see anything inherently dangerous about standing in front of your seat at the Amex. It's slightly more dangerous at grounds that have a steeper rake and less space between the seats because it's easier trip over, but the Amex has a huge gap between the seat in front, you have to really throw yourself forwards to fall down a row.

I'd like to see the injury stats from the Amex. I bet nobody has hurt themselves on the seats since it opened.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I know this is a common argument, but I don't actually see anything inherently dangerous about standing in front of your seat at the Amex. It's slightly more dangerous at grounds that have a steeper rake and less space between the seats because it's easier trip over, but the Amex has a huge gap between the seat in front, you have to really throw yourself forwards to fall down a row.

I'd like to see the injury stats from the Amex. I bet nobody has hurt themselves on the seats since it opened.

I doubt anyone going over a seat, which I have seen happen at the Amex on occasion and at away games, would be likely to report it as they have made the choice themselves and do not want to rock the boat. I got pushed over the seat in front of me at Fulham and just shrugged it off, got a nice bruise on my shin but hey-ho, my choice. It is less safe than SS which minimises the risk of injury and helps to create a fantastic atmosphere, a la Celtic, Hamburg, Bayern Munich etc etc.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good luck if you want it, but as I've said before the ships sailed on this, the whole attraction of standing was the "unsafe" element, packed in with yer mates, bit of a surge, knees up Brighton town, losing one of yer Winfield trainers and pisslng into a rolled up newspaper.

Standing against your own little barrier in a marked out yellow boxed area doesn't do it for me.

Half a loaf is better than none.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Spot on. Safe standing seems like the biggest waste of time going. You stand up in front of a diddy seat. It's what goes on at most grounds now anyway (minus the diddy seat).

We invented fan culture. Now we're desperately trying to copy others because we sold out.

Football is broken and can't be fixed. Not in this country anyway.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Ahem, I bashed my shin on the seat in front whilst celebrating in the WSU.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Spot on. Safe standing seems like the biggest waste of time going. You stand up in front of a diddy seat. It's what goes on at most grounds now anyway (minus the diddy seat).

We invented fan culture. Now we're desperately trying to copy others because we sold out.

Football is broken and can't be fixed. Not in this country anyway.

How is converting stadiums to all-seater at the behest of a report commissioned in the wake of a tragic loss of life "selling out" ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
How is converting stadiums to all-seater at the behest of a report commissioned in the wake of a tragic loss of life "selling out" ?

It's not. You've misunderstood what I meant. The beast that football is in this country now (which has very little to do with the Taylor report IMO) means it appeals to a different audience now to what it did when going to football was a lot more fun. Football sold its soul and created a monster. Unless it eats itself, which it won't, certainly not any time soon anyway, then standing up at football isn't the golden bullet people seem to think it will be. Certainly not with safe standing anyway.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Yep totally agree

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's not. You've misunderstood what I meant. The beast that football is in this country now (which has very little to do with the Taylor report IMO) means it appeals to a different audience now to what it did when going to football was a lot more fun. Football sold its soul and created a monster. Unless it eats itself, which it won't, certainly not any time soon anyway, then standing up at football isn't the golden bullet people seem to think it will be. Certainly not with safe standing anyway.

But it is an improvement to sitting on your arse, or standing with a knee high barrier in front of you. BTW, you seem to have rather an apocalyptic view of Football. The sport has moved on for good or bad, we have the best league on the planet and SS is also a move forward IMHO. Smile, be happy, we are in the PL, stand and scream your face off, wave your hands in the air like you just don't care. Or sit on your arse. :ascarf::thumbsup::smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here