Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seasonal Farm Worker Shortage

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I seemed to have touched a raw nerve there. It seemed to be quoting research from Canterbury Christ Church University. Not a fan of Kent Live then?

'Wake and up smell the coffee' was more in reference to it now being reported in local media in Kent. Heart Kent were reporting similar the other day apparently too. Are you disputing Canterbury Christ Church University's findings on recruitment numbers being down 50% from EU countries since the vote though in Kent? Albeit anecdotally, I've heard the same in regards to farms not too far away from where I am now, over the border in Kent also.

I think [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] needs a coffee, preferably a double expresso, to kick start his brain :lolol:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If we can't import 'cheap' labour from Europe can we not just import it from elsewhere, I am sure there would be people from poorer countries who would love to work here and then take some well earned money home, or am I being naive?

Another option is those receiving unemployed allowances in particular areas would have to fill vacancies

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Another option is those receiving unemployed allowances in particular areas would have to fill vacancies

Could this work, seriously?

The travel to work distance for rural farms will have a pretty low population and therefore quite a small number of locals that are unemployed?

Most unemployed are only out of work for a few months and many work really hard in that time to find work, how can they be available for interviews if they have been shipped off to a fruit picking concentration camp?

The long term unemployed often have other reasons such as chronic illnesses and mental health / drug / drink problems. Some are older, 50/60+ who want to work but no one want's them, not really suitable for back breaking crop picking though but there are some young unemployed who may welcome the chance to do it?

Lets solve 2 problems with one stone. There are so many blood sucking parasites in the extended royal family living off my hard earned ficking taxes, why can't they be mobilised for a bit of hard work for once in their lives.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Marvellous. Didn't realize that Brexit = forced labour camps.

Why do you find it such a abhorrent position to ask those that can work to work if work is available, when did this become such an unpalatable aspiration ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why do you find it such a abhorrent position to ask those that can work to work if work is available, when did this become such an unpalatable aspiration ?

It was the term 'would have to' that equates to forced labour. Just asking them to fill the positions is not a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here