Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Physio help

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, thought I'd call on you nsc experts once again for some quick advice. I'm just looking for any sports physic recommendations in Brighton. I have a niggling hamstring injury as well as on off issues with my lower back. I can still exercise and run to an ok level, but feel the niggles just getting worse and at work the hamstring in particular is causing me issues if i sit down for any length of time as is driving on long trips. Can any of you recommend a sports physio that you have used, feel like I need some expert advice/treatment! These guys seem to be really well reviewed, anyone been to them? https://www.brightonsportstherapy.co.uk

Many thanks in advance for advice. Cheers :albion2:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Im 95% sure that you have sciatica . Look up exercises online.

Edit - just to add that if it is sciatica, it's not your hamstring at all, but the nerves endings in your lower back giving you referred pain down the back of your leg (or something like that)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A number of us runners have used the excellent services of a guy called Paul who is based at the Coral Stadium gym in Hove. He's a great physio, and nice chap, and an Albion fan to boot.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Im 95% sure that you have sciatica . Look up exercises online.

Edit - just to add that if it is sciatica, it's not your hamstring at all, but the nerves endings in your lower back giving you referred pain down the back of your leg (or something like that)

Most definitely this, if you had pulled/torn your hamstring you couldnt possibly run.

As I got older and the inevitable niggles became more frequent I found that sometimes it would feel I had pulled sometimes my groin, hamstring or calf, but it would quickly settle down and might not return for days weeks or even months.

I could even locate the pain to the point of the muscle, but you have to understand it is very likely referred pain from your sciatic nerve, usually lower back.

The best advice I can suggest would be stretches especially your back, anti-inflammatory's and a good slice of luck.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Most definitely this, if you had pulled/torn your hamstring you couldnt possibly run.

As I got older and the inevitable niggles became more frequent I found that sometimes it would feel I had pulled sometimes my groin, hamstring or calf, but it would quickly settle down and might not return for days weeks or even months.

I could even locate the pain to the point of the muscle, but you have to understand it is very likely referred pain from your sciatic nerve, usually lower back.

The best advice I can suggest would be stretches especially your back, anti-inflammatory's and a good slice of luck.

Cheers for all advice. Defo not pulled the hamstring, just an ongoing tightness that is bugging me, I also have one leg slightly shorter than the other so thats probably coming into play as i get older. Happy days! gonna book a free consultation and see what they say. Cheers all.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Cheers for all advice. Defo not pulled the hamstring, just an ongoing tightness that is bugging me, I also have one leg slightly shorter than the other so thats probably coming into play as i get older. Happy days! gonna book a free consultation and see what they say. Cheers all.

Dare I say it, I have used physios and very qualified and experienced physios, the 'one leg longer than the other' is the physios version of the hairdresser that asks, 'who exactly cut your hair last time' and so is the other physio favourite diagnoses after examination 'your back is slightly out of line', if it hasn't been said yet, it wont be long :)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
*Hijack Alert*

A couple of months ago I was playing football and both of my achilles suddenly became sore. The next two days I could barely walk. I've tried stretching, heel supports, ice, heel pads, but two months down the line both of my achilles are still horribly stiff in the morning, I have to manoeuvre down stairs sideways in the morning, eventually they loosen up but any period of inactivity and they are stiff again. I'm guessing physio is what's required? Anybody have any experience of this?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
*Hijack Alert*

A couple of months ago I was playing football and both of my achilles suddenly became sore. The next two days I could barely walk. I've tried stretching, heel supports, ice, heel pads, but two months down the line both of my achilles are still horribly stiff in the morning, I have to manoeuvre down stairs sideways in the morning, eventually they loosen up but any period of inactivity and they are stiff again. I'm guessing physio is what's required? Anybody have any experience of this?

Yes - it then snapped. Which probably does not help make you feel better. Few problems since it was sewn back together though (although i have given up football)

Dean Deyn

Nov 25, 2008
I can highly recommend Tobias Bremer; see http://www.physioclinicbrighton.co.uk/
He sorted me out after I had badly torn an MCL and been in a leg brace for ten weeks. I've also subsequently received excellent treatment from him for more minor problems. A really nice guy and excellent physio.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was diagnosed with short hamstrings in my mid 30's - the effect of this is they pull the pelvis downward so that the top end of the pelvis is stretched - top of the pelvis is attached to lower back muscles.

I know nothing about sciatica or its symptoms ....

My solution has been to pay £22 per month for a proper sports massage - kept me mobile

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
*Hijack Alert*

Is the soreness a burning sharp and short pain at the back of the heel at the top of the heel bone ?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Acupuncture was and is the only thing that helps my back pain , spent a fortune on physio's with little if any success .

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Hi all, I can thoroughly recommend Maria at MW physiotherapy in Hove. (www.mwphysiotherapy.co.uk)

I have had recurring injuries for years through sports,mainly football, and she has really helped me overcome and prevent these injuries recurring with her skills. I'm now able crack on with my running, without pain, due to accupuncture (which really helped) and physio :)

I mentioned that I was a BHA season ticket holder during my physio appt today, and mentioned this thread. She asked me if I would mind posting and that she would be happy to offer any current BHA season ticket holders a 15% discount off their first initial assessment. Sounds good to me!!!

She has years of experience and I would highly recommend her.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi all, thought I'd call on you nsc experts once again for some quick advice. I'm just looking for any sports physic recommendations in Brighton. I have a niggling hamstring injury as well as on off issues with my lower back. I can still exercise and run to an ok level, but feel the niggles just getting worse and at work the hamstring in particular is causing me issues if i sit down for any length of time as is driving on long trips. Can any of you recommend a sports physio that you have used, feel like I need some expert advice/treatment! These guys seem to be really well reviewed, anyone been to them? https://www.brightonsportstherapy.co.uk

Many thanks in advance for advice. Cheers :albion2:

You've been given plenty of names. I would say give all running and jogging a complete rest, until your chosen physio advises otherwise. Although that'll be frustrating, it's only making the injuries worse and or prolonging the injury.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here