Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mindfulness?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I used to be very sceptical about this sort of stuff.
But coming round to it slowly.

Anyone here studied/tried it? What are your experiences.

Must be summer footie break :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think my signature is a perfect summary.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
A colleague gave me 'The Little Book of Mindfulness'. Nothing spiritual or tree hugs, just getting yourself in tune with your $h1t. I like it. Breathe deep and accept the now.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
It's a simple concept really. Make time for yourself, conceive of a practice of meditation, watch in wonder as you feel better in yourself in a quiet but significant way, day by day.

Lots of sources to help consider "what it's all about"... Perhaps a class to get a sense of ceremony too... but perhaps in the end it's just about honouring our quieter, more heavenly natures... and quietening the loutish sounds and fury of modern life in doing so.

It can work wonders, and I forget to do it, or neglect to do it, constantly. True story, funny story.

Russell Brand (not to everyone's taste but he has some things right) pointed out - our society makes meditation seem like a luxury. It's not. It's an essential. And it's free to us all.

Also Mindfulness as a concept is being "sold" quite a lot at the moment... Not that that's a bad thing, but go to the original sources if the notion has spoken to you, as the "corporate" gurus will only take you so far!

ie. don't let the word itself become some just-out-of-reach, mystified destination. The destination is the journey. The journey is to our quieter, better honoured selves.

For example I should be meditating quietly instead of going on Crystal Palace forums to argue with idiots with less than half my IQ... but somehow there I find myself repeatedly... junkfood for the brain...

More mindful me is sitting quietly in another dimension, waiting for my conscious self to join him :love:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Not convinced but some people find it works for them.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
This is quite good: http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/introduction-mindfulness

They said something about the pointlessness of trying to change your mood with a problem-solving state of mind which I thought was slightly revelatory.

That said, being more mindful of everything isn't particularly helpful if your life is dogshit

Like the link, but disagree with your final thought! Mindfulness is a result of meditation. Taking time to compose and conduct your thoughts. If you do so then you will start to see daylight on how to turn that dogshit life into... erm... dogdiamonds? heh... something like that!!

That's a little zen trap when it comes to "mindfulness"... It's a joke! if you don't realise it's a product of meditative practice. Or else think of how badly you're stressing yourself!! A little know-it-all in your ear saying "be more mindful of this!", "be more mindful of that", all the while poor you saying in return "I'm noticing it! I'm mindful! What more do you waaaaannnttttt!!!"

...maybe

it's meditation, not a word to yearn after like the blue fairy

Last edited:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I have to admit - I tried it - and have been caring less already about unimportant
stuff that once would worry me. Spooky,

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I did an eight week evening course at Varndean College a few years back. Good at the time but all gone out the window now. Best book is Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman and comes with CD course.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is it possible to fill a mind? Genuine question - I've often wondered whether you can use up all the space in your brain. I'll declare an interest here; I have an ability to retain vast amounts of absolutely useless information (Les Dawson was a vacuum cleaner salesman, King Frederick of Denmark was most famous for his tattoos, Indians invented zero, the word "naff" came from the gay slang, Polari...etc etc. All useless facts), is it okay for me to carry on like this or by doing so could I overwrite the part of the brain that, say, remembers how to put my pants on in the morning?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I have to admit - I tried it - and have been caring less already about unimportant
stuff that once would worry me. Spooky,

Indeed, as Arthur Balfour once said: “Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed, as Arthur Balfour once said: “Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.”
They did not have NSC back then when he said that... Now people find the silliest thing can matter immensely around here.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Depends what you want to achieve. I tried it for a while because job, family and other commitments had become overbearingly demanding. Didn't work for me but I did learn to turn my mobile off, go for a run and tell work to ease my workload.

Thinking about nothing (well, football probably) whilst exercising my body in fresh air did wonders for my mood.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I used to be very sceptical about this sort of stuff.
But coming round to it slowly.

Anyone here studied/tried it? What are your experiences.

Must be summer footie break :)

Same as you, was always sceptical of things like this. I think it's the vocabulary, I mean, 'mindfulness'? However, after a bout of shingles and some related depression, I happened across it, and it made a lot of sense. As my physical condition improved the depression lifted and I kind of stopped making an effort to do the meditation that I had had a go at, but I still consider it's basic message often and try and live less in my thoughts.

In the end I think it's just good common sense and a right way to live your life. It's no magic, spiritual answer to all your problems, just helps to ground things.
Ruby Wax is really into it. Read one of her books and the neurological stuff was fascinating. No mumbo jumbo there, pure science.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Ruby Wax has written two books on Mindfulness, both very well written and makes the subject easy to get a grasp of. I highly rate picking them up if anyone wants to read about the subject and get into it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Ruby Wax has written two books on Mindfulness, both very well written and makes the subject easy to get a grasp of. I highly rate picking them up if anyone wants to read about the subject and get into it.

I read one of those, was surprised at how good it was indeed.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Depends what you want to achieve. I tried it for a while because job, family and other commitments had become overbearingly demanding. Didn't work for me but I did learn to turn my mobile off, go for a run and tell work to ease my workload.

Thinking about nothing (well, football probably) whilst exercising my body in fresh air did wonders for my mood.

Sounds like it worked perfectly and achieved a very positive outcome. For me there is no right or end goal with it to a fashion. If you can improve things like stress levels or bring a positive change in to your life even as small as turning your mobile off then it has helped

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here