Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Goldbergs

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Think this is quite simply the best programme on TV right now?
All the 80's piss take humour is great....if you lived it!!!

Jul 7, 2003
It's been running for a couple of years on E4. I like the old videos he uses at the end.

In real life though, there was no Erica - just another brother called Eric.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
It's been running for a couple of years on E4. I like the old videos he uses at the end.

In real life though, there was no Erica - just another brother called Eric.

Playing catch up at the mo on streaming sites...halfway through series 2 so deliberately ignoring E4 so not to start watching out of sync.
Just love the real life videos at the end and how they wrote them into that programme....genius!!!

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
It's a bit s**t to be honest, every episode has the same saccharine voice over at the end, where everyone learns a lesson and family is the most important thing, bleugh.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
One of my favourite shows.
The 80's nostalgia is awesome.
I'd love to know how much is genuinely true and to what extent it's been exaggerated for comedy purposes.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'd love to know how much is genuinely true and to what extent it's been exaggerated for comedy purposes.

I saw an interview with the creator a while back, can't remember where annoyingly, where this exact question was asked. He said the characters themselves are pretty much spot on and many of the events too. Obviously he said a fair amount of exaggeration has taken place, but every episode takes its basis from some sort of true event.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm of the opposite opinion. Loved the Wonder Years bigtime longtime, but The Goldbergs seems to be just that bit TOO self-aware, and tries a bit TOO hard to be funny, in the same way that, say, New Girl does.

Winnie Cooper... massive crush on her when i was young. Bet she looks pretty good now still, gotta be early/mid 40s now i guess like the rest of us !

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm of the opposite opinion. Loved the Wonder Years bigtime longtime, but The Goldbergs seems to be just that bit TOO self-aware, and tries a bit TOO hard to be funny, in the same way that, say, New Girl does.

The Goldbergs is based on a real person and experiences though.

Watching the show and then seeing exactly what he created in the show appear at the end as a bit of proof of the storyline was legit is funnier to me. The Wonder Years feels a bit too manufactured now.

Bringing back real people in the cast that the original stories involved as kids is a nice touch too.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I haven't seen it. Based on real life you say?

Is there an episode where the protagonist buys an ailing football club and sends it into administration after trusting Terry Venables with all of his money? If so, it sounds like it could be funny. (Except for those left with the debts).

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I love this show, some people say it's cheesy but I think it's very funny! I love the 80's vibe and classic parodies that they do of TV shows and films of that era.
I'm an 80's child so a lot of the comedy real makes me think back to my childhood. The parody episode they did of Ferris Bueller's day off was genius .....and it had a cameo from Charlie Sheen playing the same character as the original was brilliant. If you haven't seen that episode I suggest you do.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I haven't seen it. Based on real life you say?

Is there an episode where the protagonist buys an ailing football club and sends it into administration after trusting Terry Venables with all of his money? If so, it sounds like it could be funny. (Except for those left with the debts).

Adam Goldberg is the creator and the show is based on his life growing up, so "loosely based on real life".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here