Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Water for the garden wildlife

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If you've got a bird feeder or have birds in the garden, they'd love a drink in this heat wave, even if its from a bucket! Leave it out over night and your friendly neighbourhood fox will probably have a drop!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ooohh, I was right with you at the start. Our neighbourhood fox is less than friendly, and I'd rather not encourage him into our garden any more than we currently see of him.

I will continue to leave water out, but will pretend it's not for him, the little rotter.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
If you've got a bird feeder or have birds in the garden, they'd love a drink in this heat wave, even if its from a bucket! Leave it out over night and your friendly neighbourhood fox will probably have a drop!

Leave water out for the fox?!!
You'll have a load of gout riddled Tories galloping through yer garden.
Buller Buller Buller...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ooohh, I was right with you at the start. Our neighbourhood fox is less than friendly, and I'd rather not encourage him into our garden any more than we currently see of him.

I will continue to leave water out, but will pretend it's not for him, the little rotter.

Just put a note out telling the fox it's not for it..they are pretty clever

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I leave an old washing up bowl in the garden, which collects rainwater. The cats prefer it to the water from the tap which is loaded with fluoride.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thanks for the reminder. We've created many wildlife friendly aspects to our garden, but at present it lacks water.

Don't create steep sided watering holes - hedgehogs can't get out and drown.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
If you're creating an area of pond or water feature for wildlife, a gentle "beach" area using washed pebbles (from garden centre) is usually good enough for larger mammals to escape if they fall in, for frogs, toads and newts to get in and out and for mini beasts such as dragon fly larvae to hide in.

Fascinating areas of the garden are wildlife ponds.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you're creating an area of pond or water feature for wildlife, a gentle "beach" area using washed pebbles (from garden centre) is usually good enough for larger mammals to escape if they fall in, for frogs, toads and newts to get in and out and for mini beasts such as dragon fly larvae to hide in.

Fascinating areas of the garden are wildlife ponds.

Yes, there some stones in my bowl at one side. The only thing that's drowned was a snail.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here