Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] "Insincere duplicitous *******s"

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I refused to believe that Boris Johnson played The Clash whilst cooking for Tory MPs, but have just found out that he picked 'Pressure Drop' on Desert Island Discs.

Its music that hates you Boris. Leave it alone. Cameron's already been told by Johnny Marr that he's not allowed to listen to The Smiths. If opera's not enough for you Tory MPs, you get SA&W, Gary Numan and Errol Brown and that's all you get.

Oi, leave Gary Numan out of that list! ???

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The feeling is that BoJo would have a battle to get on to the final ballot, as he's not that popular with MPs, but once on it, his popularity with the members would get him in. IMO, this programme was designed to inform the members that this would be the wrong choice

So Boris is the Tory equivalent of JC?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
That's a strange conclusion. I thought exactly the reverse: it struck me that it had been put together with help from the May team to discredit Gove, who was made to look like a duplicitous little sod, and Johnson, who was made to look like a bumbling idiot.

The feeling is that BoJo would have a battle to get on to the final ballot, as he's not that popular with MPs, but once on it, his popularity with the members would get him in. IMO, this programme was designed to inform the members that this would be the wrong choice

Yeah, that was the conclusion I came to as well:. Team May propaganda pointing out that whilst she might be a completely useless basket case she is infinitely better than the apparent alternatives - so don't rock the boat.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
That's a strange conclusion. I thought exactly the reverse: it struck me that it had been put together with help from the May team to discredit Gove, who was made to look like a duplicitous little sod, and Johnson, who was made to look like a bumbling idiot.

Is that not the case then with Gove and Johnson ... seems spot on to me.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Gove is a big problem for May, who had to bring him back into cabinet to secure Murdoch's backing. He and Boris were both on the Today programme this morning reciting their pledges of absolute loyalty to her whilst simultaneously sharpening their knives ....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So Boris is the Tory equivalent of JC?

In a way, yes, he is.

Is that not the case then with Gove and Johnson ... seems spot on to me.
Oh yes, but I was responding to Noo BHA's claim that the programme was favourable to Johnson - I thought it was anything but

Gove is a big problem for May, who had to bring him back into cabinet to secure Murdoch's backing.

No PMs still need Murdoch's backing? They tore into Corbyn, who proceeded to get Labour's biggest share of the vote for 20 years. Newspapers are losing their influence so I don't see Murdoch as a deal maker this time round

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In a way, yes, he is.

Oh yes, but I was responding to Noo BHA's claim that the programme was favourable to Johnson - I thought it was anything but

No PMs still need Murdoch's backing? They tore into Corbyn, who proceeded to get Labour's biggest share of the vote for 20 years. Newspapers are losing their influence so I don't see Murdoch as a deal maker this time round

I agree, but I'll bet that's not the way May is thinking, or, indeed, the Fail and the Scum. Murdoch and Dacre will be furious that the electorate failed to do what they were told - Murdoch is said to have stormed out of the News Uk victory party when the exit poll was revealed - and although their backing no longer assures the Tories of success, I still think a Sun or Mail campaign against May would force her out.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

No not for me. The air time, in terms of interviews predominantly came from supporters of Boris and it was obvious that the researchers did not have to work that hard to get details of the meetings where Boris was involved. They are the ones who have obviously gone to the BBC.

And I jest in the final part. The actor playing Boris was obviously slimmer and younger than Boris himself

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Having gone through the last 6 weeks or so, I'm not sure I needed this programme to tell me that UK politics, across the spectrum, is in a piss poor state.

An interesting watch though I think, given the direct input of so many involved in it.

I am impressed by everyone's stoicism - I am so dejected by the way our rulers have trashed our country over the past two years that I could no more watch this than I could have tuned into a comedy about Bill Archer 20 years ago.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No not for me. The air time, in terms of interviews predominantly came from supporters of Boris and it was obvious that the researchers did not have to work that hard to get details of the meetings where Boris was involved. They are the ones who have obviously gone to the BBC.

It's a bit like the BBC itself: systemically accused of pro-Tory/anti-Tory bias and now its programmes are held up as pro-Boris and anti-Boris - I suppose it's a sign that it's straddling that neutral line well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Was this show a one-off, or the first of a series?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just finished viewing and I put that down as "must watch tv".

Based on that evidence May is living on borrowed time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here