Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody here work at the UK Passport Agency?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Question: Person A needs to renew their UK passport, but is currently living in Dubai.

Person B can take the old passport and form to the UKPA on Person A's behalf, and collect it for them once done, but the UKPA website says "Person A needs to be in the UK at the same time".

Any idea why, and whether this is something the UKPA would know anyway?

For example, would they scan the old passport and know that Person A had exited the UK and not come back in with it?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It can be done through the post, but that takes 3–4 weeks from Dubai. Online isn't possible from here.

Can't the passport owner renew it at the British Embassy at Dubai? They certainly replace lost passports but I don't know if the handle renewals or not.

If they don't, the owner could always *lose* his passport :whistle:

Certainly when I lost my passport in Madrid the British Consulate was extremely helpful, and it only took an hour or so. Not that that's much help to you in Dubai!

But having reread your post, if person A is in Dubai how come Person B has the passport in UK.

Or am I missing something?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It can be done through the post, but that takes 3–4 weeks from Dubai. Online isn't possible from here.

If you apply at a less busy time it shouldn't take 3-4 weeks. I'd say it's best to give the passport office a call.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't the passport owner renew it at the British Embassy at Dubai? They certainly replace lost passports but I don't know if the handle renewals or not.

Certainly when I lost my passport in Madrid the British Consulate was extremely helpful, and it only took an hour or so. Not that that's much help to you in Dubai!

But having reread your post, if person A is in Dubai how come Person B has the passport in UK.

Or am I missing something?

Because you've sent it to someone to handle the 1 day service on your behalf.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Is this possibly the worst advice ever at passport renewal time? Why on earth lay yourself open to criminalisation over what has to be a bog-standard ex-pat admin process shirley? ???

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Thanks for the tips.

Consulate/Embassy here doesn't do passports. And yes, I'm trying to see if it can be sent to someone in the UK to do it on another's behalf, and therefore much faster than the normal courier service.

I'm really trying to find out if UKPA "know" where you are based on your passport use. I'm trying to remember what happens at LHR etc when you exit the country - does anyone scan your passport to record you've left the country?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I renewed ours whilst I was in South Africa. DHL'd the docs to the passport office and we got our new passports within 3 weeks (they couriered them back). If you have to travel urgently, you can apply for an emergency passport at your consulate/embassy. You are allowed 2 of those a year, but they will only be issued for a valid reason (ie illness/death in the family). Dunno if that helps, but i don't see why it would be any different in Dubai. I found the passport office in the UK to be very efficient and helpful.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not helpful to you but I renewed a passport in Riyadh in 1996. date of issue Riyadh written inside. After the Twin Towers I set the alarms off every time I went through Security on flights to the US. In the end I renewed that passport early in the UK and have not set off a body check alarm since. Not sure if it was chipped or I was followed by cctv but it was every trip.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
You can get a passport quickly but you need to book an appointment you can pay fees to fast track look at web site or ring the help desk. The office is just outside Victoria station if you going in person.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
You seem to be able to renew online if you are in the United Arab Emirates - possibly - although I didn't actually try it...

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/filter/overseas

Follow the link here. There is a section on applying from overseas. Do not pretend you are in the UK and get someone to take it out for you. You will get both yourself and your friend in shite - as the doc remains Govt property both of you could end up with a lot of explaining to do, if he gets caught with it in his possession. Just remember passports are valuable to criminals/terrorists and Governments take it very seriously if people have passports that don't belong to them. Fancy time in a UAE prison?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm really trying to find out if UKPA "know" where you are based on your passport use. I'm trying to remember what happens at LHR etc when you exit the country - does anyone scan your passport to record you've left the country?

You normally have to provide API (Advance Passenger Information) including your passport number to your airline before you're allowed to fly. Doubtless that information gets passed on to all sorts of agencies including maybe the UKPA. Of if not, they'll be able to cross-check easy enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Follow the link here. There is a section on applying from overseas. Do not pretend you are in the UK and get someone to take it out for you. You will get both yourself and your friend in shite - as the doc remains Govt property both of you could end up with a lot of explaining to do, if he gets caught with it in his possession. Just remember passports are valuable to criminals/terrorists and Governments take it very seriously if people have passports that don't belong to them. Fancy time in a UAE prison?

But you can get someone to apply for the passport on your behalf. I don't think this is the issue, the issue is the seemingly odd sentence which states the passport holder must be in the UK at the time of application.

Now I think about it I guess this is because the original passport is cancelled and then the new one is sent. If you are outside the UK you could have a problem if there's a gap between the cancellation and the new issue and something happens to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here