Atari is back!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I wasn't excited until I saw that promotional video. Wow!

(I was more of an Intellivision man (boy) myself)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
looks like a retro faux wood effect, following in footsteps of the Nintendo NES Classic. hope to have paddle style contollers for pong/breakout.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
looks like a retro faux wood effect, following in footsteps of the Nintendo NES Classic. hope to have paddle style contollers for pong/breakout.

That was my first guess, but the CEO has said they are using modern PC hardware.
So it looks like they want to compete with the MS/Sony/Nintendo.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Interesting. There's a crowdfunded project to bring out a Sinclair Spectrum handheld.

I think [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] was the first to mention it on NSC a couple of years ago. I've paid my money but the project has gone tits up and a lot of the money seems to have been paid to the lawyers as the design team have fallen out with each other.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-plus-console-games#/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39191064

You and me both.

More hopeful about the Spectrum Next though. This actually exists and the crowdfunding was just for the case moulds.

http://www.specnext.com/

May well get to see one in a couple of weeks as I am going to a Spectrum film premiere and I believe Jim Bagley could be there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be truly authentic it has to take 30 minutes to load and then crash. Then we have to rewind the cassette and go again. Crossing all our digits that it will load.

...using a pencil to do so!

boik

I've still got my Atari 520 STFM in the loft. There's a Commodore 64 in the box too.

I had a 520STFM, then a Falcon and a Jaguar. Don't do gaming now though. Learnt programming on the STFM, then managed to get an early version of Linux running on the Falcon in about 93 which helped shift my career from mainframes to Unix. The Jaguar was used solely for playing AvP and Tempest 2000, the only 2 games I bothered buying.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The bigger boy on our road - Colin - seemed to have a bit more money than the rest of us, and had an Atari and Scalextric to show for it. With such gear, he'd have the rest of us mulleted wee lads on the block come round. His invitations began to be rejected, though, when word had it that if you turned up alone it wouldn't take long before a joystick was forcefully positioned in a lone whippersnapper's rear.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It will be a retro box. Atari the company doesn't even exist in the sense it used to, so its much the same as those cheapo megadrive boxes, except with games only a fraction as good.

boik

The bigger boy on our road - Colin - seemed to have a bit more money than the rest of us, and had an Atari and Scalextric to show for it. With such gear, he'd have the rest of us mulleted wee lads on the block come round. His invitations began to be rejected, though, when word had it that if you turned up alone it wouldn't take long before a joystick was forcefully positioned in a lone whippersnapper's rear.

"There was one in the gang, who had Scalextric, and because of that he thought he was better than you"!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting. There's a crowdfunded project to bring out a Sinclair Spectrum handheld.

I think [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] was the first to mention it on NSC a couple of years ago. I've paid my money but the project has gone tits up and a lot of the money seems to have been paid to the lawyers as the design team have fallen out with each other.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-plus-console-games#/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39191064

I'd forgotten all about that. Shame its gone tits up, I'd have loved one of those.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've still got my Atari 520 STFM in the loft. There's a Commodore 64 in the box too.
My spare room is like a museum! I like buying them to fix - haven't got the hang of selling yet though. You don't have much value there though - C64 is around £20-30 untested £50 fully tested. Maybe a bit more if the box is in good nick ST about the same. Spectrums a bit less. The Commodore 128 is the one to have - my dad had one at work - as they go for around £200. Amiga 1200 is worth a bit too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
news article i read was fairly unimpressed by the news, apparently Atari only have a dozen employees and essentially little more than a IP licensing shop. not the people to be either creating a console or games. suggestion in comments that a PC with preinstalled emulator.

though a an old Atari 2600 style wood effect PC/media unit would be very nice next to the TV.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here