Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glyndebourne

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Anyone ever been? Been offered free tickets... any tips? Favourite restaurant? I've heard Middle and Over Wallop seems good however a tad pricey.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lucky sod.

I've never eaten at the restaurants, the thing to do is to take your picnic into the gardens. There's no better way to spend a summer's evening in Sussex

What are you seeing?

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Lucky sod.

I've never eaten at the restaurants, the thing to do is to take your picnic into the gardens. There's no better way to spend a summer's evening in Sussex

What are you seeing?

La traviata!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Never really thought myself an Opera fan but have seen three live performances now and enjoyed them all.

It helps when they have a screen above the stage giving the English translation of what is going on. Do they do this at Glyndebourne?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyone ever been? Been offered free tickets... any tips? Favourite restaurant? I've heard Middle and Over Wallop seems good however a tad pricey.

When are you going? The performance tomorrow is the last performance of the first mini-run; those in August have a different cast. Both however form part of the summer season, where the tradition is to wear a DJ. You'll find far more folk dressed up at a summer performance at Glyndebourne than ever you will at Covent Garden - it's just part of the tradition. It's not compulsory, but enough people do dress up to perhaps make you feel uncomfortable if you don't, depending on your attitude to such things. Autumn performances = no dress code.

As others have said, take a picnic - most do. The gardens are beautiful.

Look here for tips: http://glyndebourne.com/your-visit/

Enjoy!

Never really thought myself an Opera fan but have seen three live performances now and enjoyed them all.

It helps when they have a screen above the stage giving the English translation of what is going on. Do they do this at Glyndebourne?

Yep - there's a supertitle screen.

Glad you enjoyed those you've seen! When the cast can both act and sing, and the orchestra is playing well, there's nothing quite like opera - a total immersive experience. Have you seen Rigoletto? If not, try it - great story, fabulous arias (you'll recognise at least "La Donna e mobile" ["The bird's got a motorbike", copyright Barry Cryer]), and perhaps the most beautiful quartet song ever written. Depending on the production, you may get to see boobies too - pay attention in Act 1, scene 1.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When are you going? The performance tomorrow is the last performance of the first mini-run; those in August have a different cast. Both however form part of the summer season, where the tradition is to wear a DJ. You'll find far more folk dressed up at a summer performance at Glyndebourne than ever you will at Covent Garden - it's just part of the tradition. It's not compulsory, but enough people do dress up to perhaps make you feel uncomfortable if you don't, depending on your attitude to such things. Autumn performances = no dress code.

Enjoy!

Glad you enjoyed those you've seen! When the cast can both act and sing, and the orchestra is playing well, there's nothing quite like opera - a total immersive experience. Have you seen Rigoletto? If not, try it - great story, fabulous arias (you'll recognise at least "La Donna e mobile" ["The bird's got a motorbike", copyright Barry Cryer]), and perhaps the most beautiful quartet song ever written. Depending on the production, you may get to see boobies too - pay attention in Act 1, scene 1.

I can't imagine that at somewhere of the status that is Glyndebourne, that they'd be called "boobies" ... "breasticles" is far more classy !

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I go most years. Middle and Over Wallop is pretty good if the weather looks iffy. Otherwise a picnic is great. You have to penguin up but it's surprisingly unstuffy.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Enjoy!

Done the Barber of Seville, Madam Butterfly in the UK and just seen a 'street' version of Carmen in Riga, all different but all enjoyable. I love Mozart so think my next one will be Magic Flute...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I visited a friend once who told me he had some complimentary tickets for Glyndebourne to see the premier of Harrison Birtwistle's "The Second Mrs Kong". Because I hadn't been forwarned I wasn't dressed for the occasion in ripped jeans and t shirt. Because it was the premier everyone was in full evening wear, djs and tuxes. I stuck out like a sore thumb and everyone was giving me disapproving looks. The bit I enjoyed the most was when Harrison Birtwistle approached us after the performance as he knew my friend and started chatting to us while everyone stared at us in utter bewilderment wondering why the esteemed composer was chatting to the scruffy oik in the ripped jeans.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here