Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queens Birthday Honours List

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No, not the usual time serving MPs and Civil Servants, or even Charidee donating Selebs, 3George Crosses awarded to civilians for acts of outstanding bravery. PC Keith Palmer,posthumously for the Westminster attack, Bernard Kenny, for coming to the aid of Jo Cox, and Dominic Troulan, for the Nairobi terrorist attack. Other lesser awards have gone to Police officers, and civvies for the Tunisian attacks.

I doff my hat to each and every one,

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
when we consider all these worthwhile recipients
can we have a special award for that Millwall bloke.
What medal is applicable for standing your ground, luzzing some bottles and saying frig off to jihadi knobs.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I imagine that the Millwall bloke ,and the Transport Policeman will be shoo ins, in the New Year Honours for a George Cross.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
when we consider all these worthwhile recipients
can we have a special award for that Millwall bloke.
What medal is applicable for standing your ground, luzzing some bottles and saying frig off to jihadi knobs.

You mean the Millwall fan who tried to stop the terrorists entering a restaurant, was stabbed 8 times, rushed to hospital in the back of a police car in a critical condition and is still in hospital?

Apologies for the sense of humour bypass on my part but the guy deserves a medal not a pisstake and hopefully will be recognised in the NY honours.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You mean the Millwall fan who tried to stop the terrorists entering a restaurant, was stabbed 8 times, rushed to hospital in the back of a police car in a critical condition and is still in hospital?

Apologies for the sense of humour bypass on my part but the guy deserves a medal not a pisstake and hopefully will be recognised in the NY honours.

i think you misinterpreted my post chap
the bloke deserves a ****ing knighthood.....stood his ground like a champion

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No, not the usual time serving MPs and Civil Servants, or even Charidee donating Selebs, 3George Crosses awarded to civilians for acts of outstanding bravery. PC Keith Palmer,posthumously for the Westminster attack, Bernard Kenny, for coming to the aid of Jo Cox, and Dominic Troulan, for the Nairobi terrorist attack. Other lesser awards have gone to Police officers, and civvies for the Tunisian attacks.

I doff my hat to each and every one,
Although in my view they do all deserve George Crosses, none of them actually have them.

What they've been given are George Medals which are apparently for acts of bravery not deemed worthy of a George Cross - makes you wonder what more these people would have had to give for some civil servant or politician to deem them worthy of the full GC.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On a celeb note, as he's one of my all-time favourite comedians I have to say congratulations Sir Billy Connolly.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Olivia de Havilland made a Dame at 101. Only 68 years since she last won an Oscar. :bowdown:

_96518237_oliviadehavillandgettyimages-71215878.jpg

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Although in my view they do all deserve George Crosses, none of them actually have them.

What they've been given are George Medals which are apparently for acts of bravery not deemed worthy of a George Cross - makes you wonder what more these people would have had to give for some civil servant or politician to deem them worthy of the full GC.
The George Cross is a military award. The George Medal is the civilian equivalent and is just as prestigious.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Yeah, I missed that, the fella in Nairobi got the GC, the other two got the GM. As you say, surely all three deserve the GC.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The George Cross is a military award. The George Medal is the civilian equivalent and is just as prestigious.

Not so, I'm afraid.

The Victoria Cross is military-only (for gallantry in the face of the enemy), the George Cross can be given to civilians or military personnel for "acts of the greatest heroism or of the most conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger". The George Medal was instituted at the same time as the GC (by George VI) and was designed for "wider distribution" in cases not deemed deserving of a full GC.

That said though, it is of course right that these phenomenally brave people have been honoured for what they did, I just feel they deserve the highest possible honour, which in two of the cases mentioned in the OP they have not been given.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I knew John Dillon who was awarded the GM for an act of extreme bravery in the Falklands, he was a serving able seaman at the time. The rule used to be that any Crosses, medal wise( Dsc,Dfc Mc etc) were awarded to Officers, and Medals ( Dsm. MM etc) were awarded to non officers . I don't know if this still applies.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I knew John Dillon who was awarded the GM for an act of extreme bravery in the Falklands, he was a serving able seaman at the time. The rule used to be that any Crosses, medal wise( Dsc,Dfc Mc etc) were awarded to Officers, and Medals ( Dsm. MM etc) were awarded to non officers . I don't know if this still applies.
What we may have here is a question of rank. When I served in the RAF '61_'75 we were taught badges of rank etc order in which medals should be worn etc. In the dark days Officers would have got the cross and other ranks the medal. During the Battle of Britain officer pilots would gave got DFC's and AFC's whilst the sergeant pilots would have got DFM's and AFM's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here