Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10 games in 37 days?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We all know that the season is going to be tough, but between 25 November and 1 January the Albion (and the other PL teams) are scheduled to play a ridiculous number of league games, including trips to Old Trafford.

This will be an advantage for those clubs who can afford bigger squads, and let's just hope that no key players are injured during this period.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We all know that the season is going to be tough, but between 25 November and 1 January the Albion (and the other PL teams) are scheduled to play a ridiculous number of league games, including trips to Old Trafford.

This will be an advantage for those clubs who can afford bigger squads, and let's just hope that no key players are injured during this period.

Surely each team is only able to name 25 players in their squad?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Isn't this squeeze due to the season ending slightly earlier because of the World Cup?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

'Stronger squads' would make the point valid. Teams will inevitably need to rely on second choice players in that period. If that means playing Aguero over Jesus, or Pedro over Willian, or Smalling over Rojo you are not really weakened. If it means playing Oliver Norwood over Dale Stephens....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I think it's an advantage to the clubs who have a manager that does NOT whinge and moan about these things, because those managers who do put a doubt in their players mind. You say over and over again that the fixtures are asking too much of your players, that they are tired, and cannot give of their best, and you are putting it in their minds that it is the case. It also gives them a ready made excuse for a lackluster performance even before the game kicks off.

I'd be surprised if CH does this. he's very much old school, head down, get on with it, and I think we will BENEFIT from a tough run of scheduling because others will have a weaker mindset.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yah but bigger squads would likely have more youngsters who, I think, don't count towards the 25. Also, I don't think the 25 man squad rule counts for the cups but I could be wrong there. Some teams would be able to rest most of their starting eleven and still field a squad capable of winning in the early rounds.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Newcastle have trips to Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea during that period. Appreciate that the Toon is a long way from anywhere, but over 2,500 miles in that period is some serious travelling time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
'Stronger squads' would make the point valid. Teams will inevitably need to rely on second choice players in that period. If that means playing Aguero over Jesus, or Pedro over Willian, or Smalling over Rojo you are not really weakened. If it means playing Oliver Norwood over Dale Stephens....

Yah but bigger squads would likely have more youngsters who, I think, don't count towards the 25. Also, I don't think the 25 man squad rule counts for the cups but I could be wrong there. Some teams would be able to rest most of their starting eleven and still field a squad capable of winning in the early rounds.

Yep. agreed.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

All three promoted teams will be battle ready after the demands of the Championship.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Newcastle have trips to Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea during that period. Appreciate that the Toon is a long way from anywhere, but over 2,500 miles in that period is some serious travelling time.

I think they've got a big London Supporters Club. Easy for them

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Should be a walk in the park for us. We played 46 league matches last season.

EDIT: I'm not sure we really "played" the last three though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here