Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pointing a patio

Last weekend I purchased myself a Jet Washer and proceeded to set about my patio, although the results of the cleaning are quite astounding it has left me with an issue, namely most of the cement/concrete stuff between the slabs is now no longer between the slabs.

Now, bearing in mind I am extremely impractical and add into this inherently lazy when it comes to all things DIY I ask for advice from NSC:

What mix do I use sand and cement wise? I keep hearing blokes talking about 3/1 or 4/1 etc and really have no idea what they mean, which is the greater, sand or cement?

Also, I have heard people talking about a dry mix that is swept into the gaps and watered, this sounds infinitely better than a wet mix that you have to force down the gaps and then make it look nice. Thoughts?

One more thing, if anyone has a reason that sounds plausible as to not do this when it’s too hot, like it will be this weekend, that the Wife may believe I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I remember my dad asking my grandad a similar question. Grandad's answer was simple.

"You should do what I do. First you do a seven year apprenticeship. And then it's easy".

So, there's your answer [MENTION=16843]Hillian1[/MENTION]

I'd cover it in a tarp in the meantime to stop it getting worse over the intervening years :)

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
[MENTION=16843]Hillian1[/MENTION] 3/1 ratio is a good bet depending on the level of action your backdoor/patio area receives.

(Sand being the larger number, cement the smaller.)

I'd definitely use a dry mix to make sure it gets in all the nooks and crannies [emoji1303]

But to be honest this thread is worthless without pictures to make a proper judgement call

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just put some flower seed between the slabs. Will look lovely. Herbs would smell nice when you walk on them, and keep the weeds out. Maybe.

Why do you need a patio.... 20 yards away is the Weald Garden.... ;-)

The Wife Marshy, her and the grand-kids love being in the garden, which is fine by me as it means they aren't in the pub with me.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My husband, Hillian, was attempting to build a patio for the first time. He bought 100 cement blocks. Laying them out in a pattern, he discovered the chosen area was too small.

He stacked the blocks against the house and cleared more space. The next day Hillian put the cement blocks back down, only to find that the ground was too hard to keep the patio level.

He ordered a truckload of sand to be delivered the following morning. Again he stacked the 100 blocks against the house.

Observing all this, our next-door neighbor asked, "Hillian, are you going to put your patio away every night?"

Last edited:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I've always used 4 to 1 sand to cement. Use enough water for it to be shapeable but dry enough for it not to stain the slabs. Push in with a bucket handle or similar. Slabs should be dry so as not to stain oh yes and if it's too hot it csn dry out too quickly and crack.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If the joints are 10mm or wider, then a good 3 or 4 to 1 sharp sand to cement with a bit of water and plasticiser (optional) to make it pliable into the joints.

Less than 10mm, you can use a 1:1 builders sand to cement completely dry mix that you brush in, this is likely for setts or tightly laid slabs.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I've always used 4 to 1 sand to cement. Use enough water for it to be shapeable but dry enough for it not to stain the slabs. Push in with a bucket handle or similar. Slabs should be dry so as not to stain oh yes and if it's too hot it csn dry out too quickly and crack.

That ratio Worked for me. I then cut a piece of close board fence to around 6 inches long. Cut a piece of placcy pipe to the same length with a cut running length ways. Inserted the close board in the pipe and it makes the ideal tool for getting the mix in between the slabs

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That ratio Worked for me. I then cut a piece of close board fence to around 6 inches long. Cut a piece of placcy pipe to the same length with a cut running length ways. Inserted the close board in the pipe and it makes the ideal tool for getting the mix in between the slabs

Natural wedge, like it :thumbsup:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I had the same problem and was advised to use a good quality builders fine sand
Spread it all over your patio then just brush it in the cracks dry and it should stop the weeds
You've got to put enough in though otherwise it's useless

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here