Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately for supporters wanting a seat,the only way i can see any small increase in capacity is via extra corporate areas ,maybe the north corner ,like the new TV area in the south corner.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Financially it makes no sense.

Strip out VAT and the cost of the travel levy, assume 50% of tickets are allocated for STís and 1/4 of total tickets are at concession prices and it works out at £18 per fan per match.

Assuming 20 home matches a season gives an extra £360,000 a season, so 5,000 tickets is £1.8 million and 10,000 is £3.6 million. The cost of extending the stadium would run into tens of millions, would disrupt access for at least one season, possibly two and the existing inadequate transport issues would be amplified further.

The club earns £2.1 million for each incremental place in the PL table at the end of the season, so moving from 15th to 13th is more beneficial than an extra 10,000 seats.

If the club is still in the Premier League in 3-4 years 30,000 attendances will be the exception rather than the norm as ambition fatigue will set in when the aim every year is to avoid relegation.

The Amex is fine as it is.
      Genuine question. Is this Bournemouth's motivation? That it makes more financial sense to pump £25million into Jefferson Lerma and finish 4 places (£8.4million) higher, than to spend £25million redesigning their league one ground for a return of £3.6million? Or is their owner just having a shorter term goal of spending loads and having a bit of fun without caring about long term ambition?
      "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BNthree View Post
      Also the people in the offices behind the north stand, where the old TV studio is, have been told they will move out in April as the club are using the space "for commercial purposes" which sounds like another lounge of some sort.
      Yes, this. More hospitality.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...=1#post8323949

No chance of significant increase in capacity given transport issues.
      I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      They could always just wack the prices up significantly if we have a decent season....that will cut the waiting list down considerably.
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      12th biggest capacity in the Premier League. Whilst I'd like us to add another 2,000 to take us to 10th, we really don't need anything much bigger.

I'm sure a bit of creative design in the north and north east and some squeezing of existing seats could see the required increase.
      :guitar:

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      Good grief. I was agreeing with him.

Talk about YOU having a spiteful agenda...
      It came across more like you being a pompous arse than agreement to me as well.
      To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal...

1 Not allowed!
      The cost of stadium expansion would be astronomical and completely out of step with the rewards it might bring. From that point of view, it would only ever get done as part of a Tony Bloom vanity project and that doesn't seem to be how he chooses to run the club. Regardless, as @Wozza says, I reckon the biggest issue is transport. There is no chance of expansion given the limits on parking and rail.

Now if we're talking ideal worlds written on message boards, I'd love to see a stadium capacity of 37,000 - a touch bigger than clubs of similar size and coincidentally a touch bigger than our biggest ever gate - but it's pie in the sky and completely unfeasible.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
      Financially it makes no sense.

Strip out VAT and the cost of the travel levy, assume 50% of tickets are allocated for STís and 1/4 of total tickets are at concession prices and it works out at £18 per fan per match.

Assuming 20 home matches a season gives an extra £360,000 a season, so 5,000 tickets is £1.8 million and 10,000 is £3.6 million. The cost of extending the stadium would run into tens of millions, would disrupt access for at least one season, possibly two and the existing inadequate transport issues would be amplified further.

The club earns £2.1 million for each incremental place in the PL table at the end of the season, so moving from 15th to 13th is more beneficial than an extra 10,000 seats.

If the club is still in the Premier League in 3-4 years 30,000 attendances will be the exception rather than the norm as ambition fatigue will set in when the aim every year is to avoid relegation.

The Amex is fine as it is.
      This is all true and I agree with every word. The words that particularly resonate with me however, are 'ambition fatigue' and this is where my problem if I have one with the status quo exists. If we want to increase our status as a club and compete at the top end of the table and I would hope that we do or what is the point? We are going to need to become a 'bigger' club. Part of that must surely be attracting larger crowds? Growing our fan base both locally and globally? While it makes no sense financially, it does make sense from a sporting prospective. Bigger clubs get better players, both because they pay more but also because they attract ambitious players because they are bigger clubs? If you look at the way say Newcastle are treated by the media and the game itself v us you can see they are perceived as a far bigger club despite having a record no better than ours in recent years and less spending power. Clearly their history comes into play too but its mostly because they are getting 50k for a home game and as such are considered a big club..

If we don't expand and the figures against doing so are compelling I agree. We surely consign ourselves to at best staying in the lower reaches of the PL and losing our better players to the big boys when we find them. If that happens apathy could well set in. It's a very difficult balancing act.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by wakeytom View Post
      Yes, sorry I forgot. Its just a 48k seater stadium which when built 21 years ago was viewed as one of the best new stadiums and when fans visit now it is still seen as one of the better grounds to visit all at a cost of under £50m after inflation (£24m at the time) and an average attendance this year of exactly 30k in league 1 is not exactly bad going (only 500 less than Brighton's PL attendance on average this season)
      The simple attendance comparisons don't really work here though, as our ground is sold out pretty much every league game. Given a limitless capacity like your 48,000, we'd be averaging 10,000 more than you I suspect.

Sunderland are a big club though - I can only think of one other club averaging over 28,000 at that level in the past 2 or 3 decades. That said, I've always felt that 48,000 is just about the upper limit of what your ground capacity needed to be, a bit like 34-35,000 for us.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Chopper View Post
      I always thought that the East stand was built in a way that makes it reasonably easy to put another tier in to match the west stand.
      I know that the stadium had to be designed in a certain way to enable us to build it, but would it have made any difference to anybody if the east matched the west from the start.
      Doh!
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals