Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just following this on BBC news - just wondering how a fire could spread as it has.

Hopefully everyone got out alive.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It sounds absolutely horrific. R5 are interviewing a guy who went in a and tried to save some people. Says it was near impossible to get in or out of. Thinks that anyone above the fourth floor wouldn't have been able to get out. He sounds shell shocked. Awful situation.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just hearing about this on early morning news. Sounds absolutely horrific. Hope people managed to get out ok.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
It would appear that the original concrete building had been faced with some form of cladding to improve the appearance. I would guess that the gap between the cladding and the building has not been fire stopped at each floor level or at vertical junctions. Failure to do this would create a chimney effect on the outside of the building and suck the flames in when windows were opened.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
A local councillor was just on BBC news saying there had been some work by the gas services in the block and that the residents had called for a fire safety inspection after some concerns and it had been passed.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I work in cladding, particularly refurbishment of towers blocks. We actually looked at this job in 2014.

There is a piece of guidance - BR135 - which states the materials that should be used in the cladding zone on buildings over 18m. It often gets overlooked. If the correct products are used (and installed correctly) there is little risk of fire spreading like this.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I work in cladding, particularly refurbishment of towers blocks. We actually looked at this job in 2014.

There is a piece of guidance - BR135 - which states the materials that should be used in the cladding zone on buildings over 18m. It often gets overlooked. If the correct products are used (and installed correctly) there is little risk of fire spreading like this.

Cavity barriers too, does sound like it's spread around the outside. Can only hope that the fire protected lobby's inside gave sufficient time to escape if the fire was spreading outside.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Just woken up to see this.

Shocking to see the extent of this fire and then read (via the earlier posted link) that residents were advised to stay in their flats in the event of fire

You would like to think in this modern age we live in that there would be ways to stop fire spreading as quickly or as widely as it has done here on buildings like this and there would be evacuation and fire suppression systems that sprung into action when the fire first started. (is new legislation required? and more importantly, making sure legislation is enforced)

I hope everyone made it out alive but fear that there will loss of life from this incident.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here