Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mason Crane picked for England T20 squad

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
20 year old Worthing lad Mason Crane, binned by Sussex because his fielding was 'sub standard', picked for England T20 series against South Africa.

A huge gaffe by Sussex CC?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
20 year old Worthing lad Mason Crane, binned by Sussex because his fielding was 'sub standard', picked for England T20 series against South Africa.

A huge gaffe by Sussex CC?

I hope so (not hope that Sussex have made a gaffe, but that Crane comes good). I don't really see it YET though - a bit of a desperate pick by England tbh - they'd just love to find a 'mystery spinner'.

Crane has done nothing at all to justify this selection. Briggs is currently ahead of him in development (understandably).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing to see really. Seem to recall there was a lot of hype when he made a successful start (against Warwicks ?). Not heard much since.

All sounds a bit 'Ian Salisbury'. Like to be proved wrong.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Nothing to see really. Seem to recall there was a lot of hype when he made a successful start (against Warwicks ?). Not heard much since.

All sounds a bit 'Ian Salisbury'. Like to be proved wrong.

He had quite a good winter in Oz when he became the first overseas player to be capped by NSW in the Sheffield Shield since Imran Khan in 1985.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Delighted for him,great down to earth lad from lancing college

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A classic working class boy made good story. Heart-warming.

He attended Thomas A Becket First and Middle School, played cricket for Worthing CC from the age of 8 and eventually won a sports scholarship to Lancing College.

So 12 years after rocking up at the Manor Ground he gets an England call up.

Sounds a good story to me.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Has his fielding improved?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He attended Thomas A Becket First and Middle School, played cricket for Worthing CC from the age of 8 and eventually won a sports scholarship to Lancing College.

So 12 years after rocking up at the Manor Ground he gets an England call up.

Sounds a good story to me.

Yeah, it is. Only joking. Who does he play for, I've not heard of him until now?

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
One of my ex-pupils at Thomas A Becket Middle. Was a genuinely lovely lad (at 8 through 11 years old) and thrilled to see him getting these opportunities - I don't follow cricket at all but as a Sussex chap it's a shame he isn't playing for 'us' but I am unaware of why it didn't work out here.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Shame that doesn't include people in the know at Hove.........
Yes, a shame, but far from the end of the world. I don't know all the details but wasn't Raj Maru (Hampshire CCC) being the coach at Lancing College something to do with it?

Regardless of the reasons why it happened, these sort of things are not that unusual and Sussex have benefitted in the past (e.g. Luke Wright, Chris Jordan and Ollie Robinson).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yes, a shame, but far from the end of the world. I don't know all the details but wasn't Raj Maru (Hampshire CCC) being the coach at Lancing College something to do with it?

Regardless of the reasons why it happened, these sort of things are not that unusual and Sussex have benefitted in the past (e.g. Luke Wright, Chris Jordan and Ollie Robinson).

Fair point Moshe, these things do happen, I think in this particular case it was the way it was done, but no doubt that will all come out one day when he puts in a classic England performance.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fair point Moshe, these things do happen, I think in this particular case it was the way it was done, but no doubt that will all come out one day when he puts in a classic England performance.
How was it done, did Sussex treat him unfairly?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Everything to do with it, I'd say.

And again - it is too early say whether Sussex have missed out. Best of luck to Crane, because I'd LOVE England to have a quality leggie, but he has achieved nothing yet - played a handful of first class matches, with fairly uninspiring figures.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
How was it done, did Sussex treat him unfairly?

I believe he was making great efforts to improve his fielding, including extra coaching sessions, but it didn't cut any ice with individuals, who in some cases, and in Sussex's defence, are no longer connected with the club.

Not much in the Argus, if anything, and given he's Worthing born and bred that's a tad disappointing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here