Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2022

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Labour to win.

Corbyn will be 73 then, so the PM will be a younger member of Momentum. Opportunists such as Umunna won't get the role, due to their moderate agenda.

This assumes this parliament will last five years. I would say, Labour to retain power in 2023.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This assumes this parliament will last five years. I would say, Labour to retain power in 2023.

Well, this. I can't see this parliament lasting a full term.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought that about Labour's in 74-79 and Major's 92-97, both relying on the votes of others on a vote by vote basis, especially in the latter years. Both parties suffering from internal division.

I don't know how they did it, but they lasted the full 5 years.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Markets are going against another election this year.

0101a2dd05c2b600afffc498be710436.jpg

d9734b01a23d26cfa5780c8a1034886b.jpg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There'll be nothing left in 5 years after everything's been sold off.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Major had a majority despite half his party hating his guts over Europe

Sadly they hated his guts because he is a working class oik (in their vernacular, circa early 90s - and I admit this is no longer an issue in the tory party, even though it, like 'class war' in labour, still exists).

Looking back on him now, he reminds me a lot of May. Good loyal party person, willing to promote any policy cooked up by the party, no matter how brain****ed, then crucified when it dioesn't work out. Sadly, that's politics.

Except in current Labour, where the leader is propagating his own agenda (and getting crucified for it by many - including me from time).

I am not sure Corbyn believes inall his agenda though; but he has sort of said that he does not expect to agree with everything he promotes. Hang on - doesn't that make him like May? Er, no, because she pretends the things she disagrees with (like Brexit) are a smashing idea! FFS.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly they hated his guts because he is a working class oik (in their vernacular, circa early 90s - and I admit this is no longer an issue in the tory party, even though it, like 'class war' in labour, still exists).

Looking back on him now, he reminds me a lot of May. Good loyal party person, willing to promote any policy cooked up by the party, no matter how brain****ed, then crucified when it dioesn't work out. Sadly, that's politics.

Except in current Labour, where the leader is propagating his own agenda (and getting crucified for it by many - including me from time).

I am not sure Corbyn believes inall his agenda though; but he has sort of said that he does not expect to agree with everything he promotes. Hang on - doesn't that make him like May? Er, no, because she pretends the things she disagrees with (like Brexit) are a smashing idea! FFS.

Brexit's a funny old thing. Some people, wrongly, try and portray Brexit as a purely right wing voter thing. In reality, masses from both ends of the political / socio-economic spectrum wanted out.

BBC this morning gave the real world numbers from this election. 43% of UKIP departees went back to Labour, 57% to Tory.

Millions of working class Labour voters from Margate, to Peterborough, to Sunderland, wanted the UK out of the EU and immigration curtailed.

Corbyn himself has been a lifelong critic of the EU (other than its labour laws), recognising it favours big business, globalisation and a drive to the bottom in wages.

The TV stations on Election night mentioned how Labour has masterfully appealed to the young urban vote, giving an impression of being pro EU with no change on immigration, whilst appealing to the working class elsewhere on a ticket of no back tracking on Brexit.

So other than with the LibDems and UKIP, Brexit is not a straight forward issue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brexit's a funny old thing.
<snip>
So other than with the LibDems and UKIP, Brexit is not a straight forward issue.

Indeed. As I once posted on here during the run in, late at night after having a few I would think '**** it, let's leave'. Then in the morning (etc etc).

An additional factor is a lot of people voted without thinking. I was going to add 'about . . . .'. but 'thinking' just about covers all bases.

That includes 'inners' as well as 'outers'.

Which all goes to show, having a referendum was a clueless piece of cockwomblery. Referendums are for governments who have lost the plot. I may need some knee surgery soon. Will I hold a referendum on it, among the people on my street, friends and family, etc? Will I ****. I will trust the experts. Politicians are supposed to be the experts on governing. I don't expect the ****ers to come back to me, after I have voted for them, asking my opinion on this or that policy. Should we raise taxes? Let's have a referendum. No. Utter platinum plated snot-hounds (Cameron and May especially).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here