Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country pub for food near Arundel ish

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Good people of NSC, you never let me down.

Looking for a really nice West Sussex country pub for tea tomorrow for my Dad's birthday. Ideally nearish to Arundel (ideally east of Arundel as we are travelling from Hove), was considering The George in Burpham. Any advice and experiences very welcome, thanking you in advance. :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sportsman at Amberley, now run by the Greyhound Brewery, first class grub, excellent beer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The George at Burpham is as good as any imo.

The Woodman's Arms on the A27 near Angmering serves good old fashioned Pub food

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
The George and Dragon at Houghton is excellent and the Sportsman at Amberley is almost as good. Both have excellent views too.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The Black Rabbit - right on the river, but gets pretty busy...food ok

Great pub & location, it will be rammed tomorrow although the 3 - 5pm slot may be OK.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Sportsman at Amberley, now run by the Greyhound Brewery, first class grub, excellent beer

I've not been in there since it changed hands, but a few people i know have said its not atrocious. Is that the case? Shame if so, I loved stopping off there mid bike-ride.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Sportsmans foods nothing to write home or here about, better half went last night.

George at Burpham for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you fancied somewhere new try The White Horse in Sutton - http://www.whitehorse-sutton.co.uk.

Take the first left coming down Bury Hill, and weave your way through the hamlets (past the Bignor Roman Villa) to Sutton. (no more than 10 mins from Whiteways).
It doesn't get much more 'countryside' than having Lord's Piece just up the road, and a spectacular view of Burton Mill Pond round the corner from that.

NB - Best check they are open all day Sunday - that's how remote it is!!

pulborough_106.jpg

20358374.jpg

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Sportsmans foods nothing to write home or here about, better half went last night.

Another vote for this one. Maybe watch a bit of cricket next door as well?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've not been in there since it changed hands, but a few people i know have said its not atrocious. Is that the case? Shame if so, I loved stopping off there mid bike-ride.

Since it was taken over a month ago they've been getting into their stride, beer is excellent. As for the food, I've had delicious burgers there and Sunday roasts are both generous and very tasty. I think you may have been unlucky if you had a bad meal.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Since it was taken over a month ago they've been getting into their stride, beer is excellent. As for the food, I've had delicious burgers there and Sunday roasts are both generous and very tasty. I think you may have been unlucky if you had a bad meal.

Dollop of mash three sausages shoved in, swimming in a pool of watery gravy. Nothing too taxing for a chef to knock up well, apparently it is.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If you fancied somewhere new try The White Horse in Sutton - http://www.whitehorse-sutton.co.uk.

Take the first left coming down Bury Hill, and weave your way through the hamlets (past the Bignor Roman Villa) to Sutton. (no more than 10 mins from Whiteways).
It doesn't get much more 'countryside' than having Lord's Piece just up the road, and a spectacular view of Burton Mill Pond round the corner from that.

NB - Best check they are open all day Sunday - that's how remote it is!!

View attachment 86225

View attachment 86224

Another good shout - lovely place, not easy to get to but well worth it. Might bike up there later, it's only 5 miles and i can weave through Coates, which is lovely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another good shout - lovely place, not easy to get to but well worth it. Might bike up there later, it's only 5 miles and i can weave through Coates, which is lovely.
It's certainly all about location location location.
Sutton is well signed, as there's nothing else to write on the signposts.
The road naturally take you to the pub, although the longer route round does have the advantage of missing the 20% slope.

I doubt there are many NSC'ers who even know the pub exists.
It was always a perfect stop off after the dogs had a massive tear up at Lord's Piece, although one of mine would always disgrace himself in the 'black ponds', :facepalm: making a pub stop short and not too sweet.

As you say though it's a great place for safe riding (or at least it was until some loud mouth told people of the t'internet about it).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's certainly all about location location location.

I doubt there are many NSC'ers who even know the pub exists.
It was always a perfect stop off after the dogs had a massive tear up at Lord's Piece, although one of my would always disgrace himself in the 'black ponds', :facepalm: making a pub stop short and not too sweet.

As you say though it's a great place for safe riding (or at least it was until some loud mouth told people of the t'internet about it).

Even though i've lived in the area (Fittleworth) for all bar 10 years of my life, it wasn't until...2009 or so i knew about it when a friend living in Bignor suggested it. Even turns out its popular with the Goodwood fans when the FoS is on - had a great night with some Dutch attendees a few years back.

Whilst I'm a big fan of the more popular 'summer' pubs (Black Rabbit, the White Hart at Stopham back in its day) there's still a bit of a soft spot for the White Horse.. let's not mention it anymore though, it can be our secret :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here