Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
"Get Dad's present early! You'll earn bonus points with us...and with him!"
He's been dead nearly thirty years!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I guess (hope) that if their database includes your date of birth, they would have a threshold on the age of the person they send it to? Being 52 myself, I guess it is not entirely unreasonable to think my father may still be alive?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
How are they to know he died before they even existed as a company if you don't tell them?

They're damned if they do and they're.. no I'll stop there.

They're not supposed to know, so therefore they should just advertise Fathers' Day in a way not likely to upset anyone if they have just suffered the passing of their Dad. To receive a personal email to the one I received was heartless, unthoughtful and most companies would be lambasted for weeks for doing so. I really hope that no one receives this email at a bad time.
I was thinking of other people rather than myself.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I dislike Fleabay, but agree with the fact they didn't mean to upset anyone.

A caveat of - *if he's still alive" - at the end would look a bit daft.

These days there are ways to offend pretty much anyone as long as you're looking for something to be offended by

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Really! are people really upset by this??

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I dislike Fleabay, but agree with the fact they didn't mean to upset anyone.

A caveat of - *if he's still alive" - at the end would look a bit daft.

These days there are ways to offend pretty much anyone as long as you're looking for something to be offended by

Would you say the same if his father died just last week?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'd say the same if my own Father had died yesterday, so - yes.

What about all the people who have parents who died on Christmas Day, Easter - or New Years Eve? Stop advertising those too?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'd say the same if my own Father had died yesterday, so - yes.

What about all the people who have parents who died on Christmas Day, Easter - or New Years Eve? Stop advertising those too?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "It's Fathers' Day/Christmas/Easter etc, soon. We have lots of great gifts", etc etc. What I felt is wrong is receiving a personal email assuming that my father is alive.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Waitrose did the same for Mother's Day, while we were arranging her funeral.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Really! are people really upset by this??

I'm flying back to the UK to cremate my father next week. Emails such as this (I've received a few too) cause me to reflect on the death of my father, an event that causes me emotional pain, at times when I would rather not do so (such as when I'm at work). One also caused a moment where I thought "oh, Dad will like that" before instantly realising that he can't like anything anymore. That wasn't a fun experience.

So yes, people are really upset about this. I'm pretty surprised I need to spell this out, tbh.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Had to look, and yes you can get coffins on E Bay! They could have covered all angles. Oh yes about 6 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here