Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a Brexit Poll next week

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I strongly believe the majority want stay but with massive reform.

This car crash started with the in or out vote.

Many remainers forced to campaign on something they were deeply troubled with.

What you ended up with was the frothing in the mouth leavers versus the smug remainers.

A debate which continues on here to this day....

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

I am a "Remoaner" . I still am.

EU does need reforming and I think Merkel and Co now know we weren't bluffing when they offered Cameron nothing last year.

The problem lies in that no one cared about the 48% who voted remain last year, who last night let their feelings known at the ballot box.

I thought that we would just remain last year but knew that a lot of Brexiters would not be happy, thinking both sides of the divide needed to reach out to each other.

I went on one of the threads on here and was told "Get over it, YOU lost" (not the country).

If there was nothing new offered by Merkel, I don't think the Brexit vote would change much

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Now we have hung parliament I'm hoping for a Con/Lib Dem coalition with the Lib Dems only agreeing to be a part of it if we have another vote on berexit needing a 55% majority to start the leave process

That is quite an interesting proposition......the Lib Dems agreeing to go into a coalition with the Cons....if the Cons give the country another referendum on EU membership, the Lib Dems get what they want (another referendum) and it might get the Cons out of a huge huge headache (negotiating Brexit).....I am sure that would make Farage happy!

If the result was say reversed, the EU would take us back.....they need our money

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
That is quite an interesting proposition......the Lib Dems agreeing to go into a coalition with the Cons....if the Cons give the country another referendum on EU membership, the Lib Dems get what they want (another referendum) and it might get the Cons out of a huge huge headache (negotiating Brexit).....I am sure that would make Farage happy!

If the result was say reversed, the EU would take us back.....they need our money

Personally, if such a coalition were to happen, I'd want the Lib Dems to demand the voting reform that was a part of their election manifesto too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I voted Leave but think if it were to be held now, Remain would, narrowly, win

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I voted leave and would vote leave again. Overall I think the result would be remain.

Not all brexit voters were duped or persuaded by lies.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Leave - you can't have border control without it. Nothing has changed.

Well, that's nonsense for a start. The DUP leader in Westminster has said that the absolute essential element for an agreement between his party and the Tories is no hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland ie no border controls. As May says she's reached agreement, she's presumably accepted this

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Personally, if such a coalition were to happen, I'd want the Lib Dems to demand the voting reform that was a part of their election manifesto too.

But they did that to get the deal in 2010 with Cameron and (AV?) electoral reform got widely rejected by referendum.......what we really really really don't need is more referendum (I know I said about another one over Brexit, but that I do think is different, as it seems to overshadow all else in this country at the moment and for the Lib Dems they really could, in their eyes, be the saviours of the hour).....we as a country all of us, don't need to keep on going to the polls about one thing or another in referendum and general elections (they are talking about another one this year:eek:)...it is boring and their is undoubted voter fatigue............lets just get on with living, lets leave the politics to politicians....if we done that maybe we wouldn't be in this absolute pickle over Brexit.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
..odd question I know and no agenda.

I've posted on here that I was a relunctant remainer deeply suspicious of big beaucracy.

Throw your own beliefs to one side and suggest what the result would be now after what we have learnt...

So not a poll - how do you think OTHERS would vote if asked again.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk
Depends on how many lies were believed.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I am a "Remoaner" . I still am.

EU does need reforming and I think Merkel and Co now know we weren't bluffing when they offered Cameron nothing last year.

The problem lies in that no one cared about the 48% who voted remain last year, who last night let their feelings known at the ballot box.

I thought that we would just remain last year but knew that a lot of Brexiters would not be happy, thinking both sides of the divide needed to reach out to each other.

I went on one of the threads on here and was told "Get over it, YOU lost" (not the country).

If there was nothing new offered by Merkel, I don't think the Brexit vote would change much

Interesting times ahead.

Big rebellion with close to 10k Tory majority overturned in Oxford and now we wake up with a Lib Dem MP. Hardly surprising BMW plant, Science with close ties to Europe, loads of Euro orientated education etc.

I've learnt nothing in the past 12 months that suggests we're be better off under Brexit.

We're a laughing stock today, we need to pull ourselves together

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Well, that's nonsense for a start. The DUP leader in Westminster has said that the absolute essential element for an agreement between his party and the Tories is no hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland ie no border controls. As May says she's reached agreement, she's presumably accepted this

So we can have brexit and have border controls in place with the EU?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I voted leave and would vote leave again. Overall I think the result would be remain.

Not all brexit voters were duped or persuaded by lies.

Absolutely. Of course they were not.

But you DO recall, just how close the vote actually was?

Only needs to be a tiny swing to change the result.

FWIW (nothing, as it goes) I believe the vote would be a big Remain win if it went to a poll now. Even those now advocating Leave in government have largely given up even trying to pretend its a good thing for the economy of the country, and are only 'campaigning' on a 'we will deliver what the nation voted for' ticket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So we can have brexit and have border controls in place with the EU?

As I've just said, the condition of the deal between the DUP and the Tories is no border controls between the NI and the Irish Republic. Whether there are border controls elsewhere is a matter for discussion but we've already accepted the principle that there doesn't have to be any border control

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course we would remain. That's why the Leave voters go postal when anyone even suggests a 2nd referendum. It was a fragile result that would shatter on a 2nd referendum.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
But they did that to get the deal in 2010 with Cameron and (AV?) electoral reform got widely rejected by referendum.......what we really really really don't need is more referendum (I know I said about another one over Brexit, but that I do think is different, as it seems to overshadow all else in this country at the moment and for the Lib Dems they really could, in their eyes, be the saviours of the hour).....we as a country all of us, don't need to keep on going to the polls about one thing or another in referendum and general elections (they are talking about another one this year:eek:)...it is boring and their is undoubted voter fatigue............lets just get on with living, lets leave the politics to politicians....if we done that maybe we wouldn't be in this absolute pickle over Brexit.

I'd argue that the electoral landscape is in a different place to 2010 when, post-crash, people just wanted some stability. The fact that only 42% of people voted during that referendum shows the levels of voter apathy in this country, as has every election for the past few decades. The only real way you get people to care about politics again is by giving them a real voice. Put simply, we don't have that at this moment in time, and that's why Brexit is happening and why this absolute sham of an election has taken place under such a cloud. So sorry, but I thoroughly disagree with you.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Of course we would remain. That's why the Leave voters go postal when anyone even suggests a 2nd referendum. It was a fragile result that would shatter on a 2nd referendum.

But could reverse again on a third referendum.
Why don't we just all agree to a referendum every year for five years, so that there can be nothing clouding the issue. Best of five wins. Or there again, if we wait for a few more years, there won't be an EU, so it will all be irrelevant anyway.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have always believed that leaving is just a time vacuum with a virtually impossible objective. Brexit just means untangling a load of old washed up fishing nets rather than buying new ones. It would have been easier to proactively change the things we don't like rather than start again from scratch surely?

For the people who voted Brexit what are the top 3 reasons for you voting to leave the EU?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There's too many factors to consider I think.

There's the Leave voters who did buy into the "bus" and all that nonsense who may well change to Remain
There's the Leave voters who voted Leave for other reasons and would vote Leave again
There's the youth vote who would likely vote Remain

Personally? I voted Remain but I'd be thinking about voting Leave. There's no need for a 2nd referendum. We had one and it had a result and I think that should be honoured no matter how unpalatable the result may have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here