Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK energy supply hits more than 50% renewable for the first time

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40198567

Renewable sources of energy have generated more electricity than coal and gas in the UK for the first time.
National Grid reported that, on Wednesday lunchtime, power from wind, solar, hydro and wood pellet burning supplied 50.7% of UK energy.
Add in nuclear, and by 2pm low carbon sources were producing 72.1% of electricity in the UK.
Wednesday lunchtime was perfect for renewables - sunny and windy at the same time.
Records for wind power are being set across Northern Europe.
The National Grid, the body that owns and manages the power supply around the UK, said in a tweet: "For the first time ever this lunchtime wind, nuclear and solar were all generating more than both gas and coal combined."
On Tuesday, a tenth of the UK's power was coming from offshore wind farms - a newcomer on the energy scene whose costs have plummeted far faster than expected.
So much power was being generated by wind turbines, in fact, that prices fell to a tenth of their normal level.
Environmentalists will salute this new record as a milestone towards the low carbon economy.
Critics of renewable energy sources will point to the disruption renewables cause to the established energy system.
At the time of Wednesday's record, 1% of demand was met by storage; this will have to increase hugely as the UK moves towards a low-carbon electricity system.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40198567

Renewable sources of energy have generated more electricity than coal and gas in the UK for the first time.
National Grid reported that, on Wednesday lunchtime, power from wind, solar, hydro and wood pellet burning supplied 50.7% of UK energy.
Add in nuclear, and by 2pm low carbon sources were producing 72.1% of electricity in the UK.
Wednesday lunchtime was perfect for renewables - sunny and windy at the same time.
Records for wind power are being set across Northern Europe.
The National Grid, the body that owns and manages the power supply around the UK, said in a tweet: "For the first time ever this lunchtime wind, nuclear and solar were all generating more than both gas and coal combined."
On Tuesday, a tenth of the UK's power was coming from offshore wind farms - a newcomer on the energy scene whose costs have plummeted far faster than expected.
So much power was being generated by wind turbines, in fact, that prices fell to a tenth of their normal level.
Environmentalists will salute this new record as a milestone towards the low carbon economy.
Critics of renewable energy sources will point to the disruption renewables cause to the established energy system.
At the time of Wednesday's record, 1% of demand was met by storage; this will have to increase hugely as the UK moves towards a low-carbon electricity system.

This is great news. How fantastic if we could get the storage solutions right, and get our power from renewables.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Over to you Donald (it's gonna be great) Trump.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not surprising due to low demand. But 100s of heavily polluting diesel generators are being built across the countryside for when there is a shortfall.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not surprising due to low demand. But 100 of heavily polluting diesel generators are being built across the countryside for when there is a shortfall.

How's that been given the "green" light then, when the government are punting around the idea of phasing out diesel cars

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are you sure? Or is that for resiliency if power is lost for some unseen reason?

Yep. Not for an unseen reason, just a lack of wind or whatever. I've been involved in planning applications for several of these. They are essentially unregulated and are re government subsidised. Until we can store energy efficiently (which we cant) or we have are part of a europe wide energy grid (somewhat unlikely following brexit), wind power is imho not a good way to go at any great scale.
How's that been given the "green" light then, when the government are punting around the idea of phasing out diesel cars

There's a bit more on STOR here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...nerators-to-be-built-with-175m-subsidies.html

http://ippr.org/read/mad-maths-how-...ring-excessive-returns-at-billpayers-expense#

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I have a raft of solar panels on the roof of my industrial unit. On a bright day these provide around 60-90% of the power we use.

My leccy bills are bugger all, and I'm saving a squirrel from choking on fumes. Hopefully a red one, not one of those hench grey *******s! :hilton:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm doing my bit (and raking it in thanks to Government subsidy).

Surely tidal barrages are the way to go for guaranteed renewable sources. The one planned for Swansea should provide power for 155,000 homes for a year (they've currently only got 110k homes).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here