Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big 6 clubs trying to take more of the TV cake

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Greedy *******s. How much money do they want? Maybe if they stopped spending ridiculous amounts on transfers and wages they might be able to reduce ticket prices. If they're that bothered about the money maybe they should get together and agree caps to transfers and wages, the stupid amounts involved can't go on forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The downside of winning a prize in the Championship is gaining a place in the Premier League, full of non footballing types filling their boots including players, owners and agents. Tell you what Man U, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal, just FO, go play in Europe, not interested in your big club, big city mentality. I really do not give a flying shit if Barca, Lisbon or Bayern win a cup, but if Mile Oak or Haywards Heath get thee Fa Vase I will be over the moon!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think Paul Barber will actually be saying that there should be a big 7 which includes Brighton. He will support this by pointing out our large following in Israel and the Seagull supporting fans in Australia, America and elsewhere.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
In five to ten years time there will be another breakaway. The top 4-6 clubs here and the rest of the European elite will pop off and have their own thing except this time it will be closed off. No relegation, no promotion.

I think this would be the ideal situation for many, but not sure there will ever be the collective effort to make it happen. Would take a real change in attitude from fans of those clubs and a hpshift in power to such a point that little clubs don't even compete with the bigger ones. This is basically true at the moment, but certainly in England the likes of BBC are guilty of propagating the idea that the Premier League is an open and exciting race where anyone DNA beat anyone.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
In five to ten years time there will be another breakaway. The top 4-6 clubs here and the rest of the European elite will pop off and have their own thing except this time it will be closed off. No relegation, no promotion.
Good.

I just wish they'd get in with it and leave the league to the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think this would be the ideal situation for many, but not sure there will ever be the collective effort to make it happen. Would take a real change in attitude from fans of those clubs and a hpshift in power to such a point that little clubs don't even compete with the bigger ones. This is basically true at the moment, but certainly in England the likes of BBC are guilty of propagating the idea that the Premier League is an open and exciting race where anyone DNA beat anyone.

It wouldn't take collective effort really. Just the same clubs making the same noises as when the Premier League formed. Plus the added heft of the European big boys.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It wouldn't take collective effort really. Just the same clubs making the same noises as when the Premier League formed. Plus the added heft of the European big boys.

Possibly, but I do wonder I feel those 'noises' are more of an attempt to give the impression that English football is lucky to have them and should reward them accordingly than a genuine wish to overhaul the status quo. On a purely financial basis, a European super league of, say, 20 clubs would not only have to replace the champions league but also massively devalue the commercial worth of all those countries first divisions. Would this really suit those clubs, or are they better off stramrollering their domestic leagues and saving their real efforts for Europe as a cup competition, in the meantime making huge revenues from the TVs deals for both?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Greedy *******s. How much money do they want? Maybe if they stopped spending ridiculous amounts on transfers and wages they might be able to reduce ticket prices. If they're that bothered about the money maybe they should get together and agree caps to transfers and wages, the stupid amounts involved can't go on forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Apparently, last I read, the inflated transfers and wages are due to relegated sides 'banking' their parachute payments and going all out when promoted back to the PL. :shrug::facepalm:

They will not breakaway, too risky, our domestic league will strive while their super euro league could eventually lead to apathy.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Ian Ayre, Liverpool’s former chief executive, generated controversy six years ago by arguing that the top clubs were being short-changed. He famously insisted “in Kuala Lumpur there isn’t anyone subscribing to ESPN to watch Bolton’, pointing to Liverpool’s reputation around the world and particularly in Asia.

Right or wrong, he's got a point you know.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How depressing to hear your club referred to as a 'bigger brand' shows where liverpools focus is and why normal fans can no longer get a seat over the tourists

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If they get a larger slice of the TV pie they weaken the competition as there is even less chance of a Leicester etc. The strength of the league will be affected the very thing that made them rich in the first place. Turkey's voting for Christmas indeed...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here