Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Man TT racing deaths

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've just read that the TT racing has claimed 3 victims this year,and 5last year.
How is this allowed to carry on, I'm not saying it should be banned, I'm just amazed it hasn't been ,what with elf and safety,and what have you. It has a long history of fatal accidents, I just can't believe the riders are just allowed to carry on.

RIP to all the fatalities

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I worked in motorsport for many years and two work mates were heavily into bike racing. They said the holy grail for many was the I.O.M.TT races. It's their choice safe or not.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I often wonder about the TT races and people dying every year... I drove the course a few years ago, and the amount of flowers and memorials was quite sad.

I suppose it's free will. The choice of the people who go there. I live a few miles from Beachy Head and often think "just put bloody fences up!" when people lob themselves off the cliffs like clockwork. Nobody really does anything apart from the Chaplains....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I often wonder about the TT races and people dying every year... I drove the course a few years ago, and the amount of flowers and memorials was quite sad.

I suppose it's free will. The choice of the people who go there. I live a few miles from Beachy Head and often think "just put bloody fences up!" when people lob themselves off the cliffs like clockwork. Nobody really does anything apart from the Chaplains....

The fact the deaths at TT get hardly mentioned in the press, either. If three F1drivers died in a season , the press would be incandescent, I still can't believe no one is screaming for it to be banned, or at least,made a hell of a lot safer.
And, just to repeat, I don't think it should necessarily be banned or changed, I just can't believe the organisers get away with it year on year.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
They die doing something they love, they all know the risks! I love the TT and long may it continue.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Driving to work along the A259 every day I often see motorcyclists weaving in and out of traffic and undertaking it's a kind of collective madness that forbids them to have to keep pace with other road traffic. Give them free reign as in the IOM TT and you have a recipe for disaster.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
You'll probably want boxing banned next.

Freedom of choice and the racers know what they are doing and they love it. Tiote died whilst kicking a ball around the other day, Muamba very nearly died, Ugo Ehiogu died far too young. Football bad for your health?

Come on, we only get one chance at this. It ain't a rehearsal.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You'll probably want boxing banned next.

Freedom of choice and the racers know what they are doing and they love it. Tiote died whilst kicking a ball around the other day, Muamba very nearly died, Ugo Ehiogu died far too young. Football bad for your health?

Come on, we only get one chance at this. It ain't a rehearsal.

I've said I don't want it banned, for all the reasons above, im just amazed it hasn't been.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The fact the deaths at TT get hardly mentioned in the press, either. If three F1drivers died in a season , the press would be incandescent, I still can't believe no one is screaming for it to be banned, or at least,made a hell of a lot safer.
And, just to repeat, I don't think it should necessarily be banned or changed, I just can't believe the organisers get away with it year on year.

The difference is probably due to frequency. Jules Bianchi in 2015 was the first since Ayrton Senna back in 1994. It is of course freedom of choice but my sympathies would be with any kids of the deceased who don't get to grow up with their dad.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
It is the curse of the modern man - to labor without joy, to continue without purpose, to slave away unrewarded by others.

Or die going a ton up doing something you love.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

No offense but you're sadly misinformed. Sussex Oakleaf had a Place of Calm drop in for Beachy Head that was known to have prevented many people jumping over. This was a successful pilot scheme that has not been extended (despite much evidence and appeal by many people and services)due to cuts in government funding.

http://www.sussexoakleaf.org.uk/place-of-calm-suicide-prevention/

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My late father raced there for 10 years (1947-57) and won a Clubmans TT (basically what would be a Production TT these days ).

He had no issues with the course and pointed out that if you didn't want to ride it you didn't have to enter.

He was clearly a braver man than me as I have ridden the course on a road bike and it utterly terrified me!

The fact that the lap record is now past 130 MPH is mind blowing.

Triumph

Apr 30, 2017
I have this morning ridden over the mountain section of the course where a competitor sadly lost his life today and it is scary. I can understand why people want to race here, it is the ultimate challenge. As to why has it not been banned, maybe it has something to do with the Isle of Man having its own government and not being part of the UK and them not wanting to stop a valuable island industry. I know that sounds harsh and insensitive, but they must look after themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here