Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please use your vote.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Quite simply do what you want with it,eat it,play noughts and crosses,spoil it,even vote for a candidate. Yet please just use it as for me not to do so is an insult to those who paid the ultimate price for us to be able to vote. Thanks.:bigwave:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
guy_waving_vote_sign_hc.gif

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Quite simply do what you want with it,eat it,play noughts and crosses,spoil it,even vote for a candidate. Yet please just use it as for me not to do so is an insult to those who paid the ultimate price for us to be able to vote. Thanks.:bigwave:

With respect. Didn't those people win us the right to have the choice of whether we vote or not?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With respect. Didn't those people win us the right to have the choice of whether we vote or not?

No. That's an individualistic logic. A democratic logic insists that you're a citizen and not an individual, and that requires that you do certain things that supersede choice.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Agree... and don't vote Tory :flounce:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I've never understood this viewpoint, tbh.

In what way is not attending a polling station, any more of an 'insult' to those people, than going along with the sole intention of NOT voting? :shrug:

I appreciate that you might feel that none of the candidates in your constituency are worth your vote, but in what way does defacing your voting slip achieve anything?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
No. That's an individualistic logic. A democratic logic insists that you're a citizen and not an individual, and that requires that you do certain things that supersede choice.

Ooh, whatever happened to the "Philosophy" thread that Goldstone1976 set up a few years back? Does democratic logic necessarily require active responsibility to be taken, rather than for it just to be available? What about other democratic "rights", such as freedom of speech - do they have to be exercised? Probably not wise to start this debate - really should be getting on with some work here, and I'm sure you'll have some valid counterarguments...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

In what way is not attending a polling station, any more of an 'insult' to those people, than going along with the sole intention of NOT voting? :shrug:

I appreciate that you might feel that none of the candidates in your constituency are worth your vote, but in what way does defacing your voting slip achieve anything?

If you don't do anything, you can't complain at the outcome.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
If I don't agree with any of the parties policies or I don't think any of the party leaders are capable of being PM then I wont be voting. I'm not being forced to vote.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Can't remember where I read this but there's an argument to be made along these lines:

Not bothering to turn up to vote indicates a certain level of apathy towards the whole democratic process but turning and purposely spoiling your ballot indicates that the problem lies with the parties on offer rather than the process. You care enough to turn up and do something but feel that none of the candidates speak for you or your values.

Something like that. Whoever wrote the article put it much more succinctly than I just did.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Can't remember where I read this but there's an argument to be made along these lines:

Not bothering to turn up to vote indicates a certain level of apathy towards the whole democratic process but turning and purposely spoiling your ballot indicates that the problem lies with the parties on offer rather than the process. You care enough to turn up and do something but feel that none of the candidates speak for you or your values.

Something like that. Whoever wrote the article put it much more succinctly than I just did.
Yeah but they just put said soiled paper in the bin .

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I can completely see why you would feel that you'd 'made a point'. Just not that you'd made it to anyone who gave two ****s.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I can completely see why you would feel that you'd 'made a point'. Just not that you'd made it to anyone who gave two ****s.

The part which does 'make a point' is the final spoilt ballot count, which is counted as part of turnout. It at least partly quantifies political dissatisfaction.

On a related note, I believe voting should be compulsory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here