Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you carry or are considering carrying any self defense items?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
..... apart from your natural wit of course....

My sister gets the train to London and walks across London Bridge daily for work. I also get the train to work and go to crowded events regularly (the Albion obs, Glastonbury etc).

When we met up after the London Bridge attack we inevitably spoke about it, and also referenced the recent attacks on trains in the US and Belgium. When we were at "code red" or whatever the highest level it was, the beeb showed numerous clips of armed police on trains. She seemed nervous in a way she hasn't before.

Now, yes, it's all good and fine to keep calm and carry on your usual business and not change anything at all (which we've all been doing) - and I'm not thinking of going all Sarah Connor here - but it did make us consider whether to carry something like:

- A tactical torch, that has an instant press strobe function, such as the Klarus XT11

- A Uk-legal dye spray, such as the FARB spray

There may be no time to use them of course but they could also give you and others the few extra seconds to get away from the (to quote the London pub-clip that Sky showed at least twice when I was watching Sat night) " ****ing Muslim ****s ". <I'm not condoning such language and have no ill feeling to the majority of Muslims but it did make me laugh, even at the time, that Sky kept showing the clip, apologising for the bad language at the end.... and then a few minutes later showing it again>

Part of me thinks this is paranoia getting the better of me, part of me thinks do the families of the victims wish they had bought them?

The torch particularly cannot be considered a weapon, and is small, the spray is advertised as legal but still may be a grey area in terms of assault if used.

?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was thinking about this today. Not wishing to slip into the mindset of a south london black tenager, but I am musing about a stiletto.

I walked across Westminster bridge today, on the way to work. I looked at the new barriers, and the flowers, and had a bit of a moment. I feel personally threatened, and, well. Its not a great time right now.

But, no. musing but not going for it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its not something that I have even considered, and I have no intention of doing so.

The chances of being caught up in these incidents is still very remote, and I see it as something akin to wearing a parachute when flying on a flight just in case something happens to put the plane in difficulty. The chances of that happening is very low and no one goes to that length.

Also my personal view is that when your times up its up and there is no point worrying about what may or may not happen.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Also my personal view is that when your times up its up and there is no point worrying about what may or may not happen.

This, really

What kind of miserable life would we be leading if we've constantly got one hand on a blade hidden in our coat, or a finger on the trigger of a can of mace when we're walking the streets?

That said, it would seem the best form of defence is to carry a Milwall supporter in a backpack at all times if you really had to!

deena_gold

Banned
Jun 5, 2017
How about in-city 'stacker truck and ride' services, you could be issued with sticks that you insert in to the stacker and had to pay a small monthly fee to top up, also all major towns and cities could be 'stacker ride only' so the culprits in their white vans could be instantly recognized and vaporized on the spot from surveillance cameras fitted with 'heavy ion cannons' (that way the poor van remains in-tact). Try running in to a stacker truck you *****! besides that an out of control stacker truck being driven inconsiderately by an extremest would be easily avoided.

Bullet proof vest hire anyone???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't leave the house without my assault rifle.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Going to get myself one of these.
I mean who wouldn’t want to see the expression on a jihadis face when you produce this little cute guy out of your pocket.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I carry a copy of The Times and my umbrella. Never without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No that's not a very good idea I don't think we need a vidulanty population as they do in areas of the USA let's leave safety issues to the Police

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Nope.

Not sure what good it would do anyway if a Muslim nutjob decided to drive a van at you or blow himself up next to you.

I'd guess they'd find a way of convincing themselves it was some kind of justification anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Going to get myself one of these.
I mean who wouldn’t want to see the expression on a jihadis face when you produce this little cute guy out of your pocket.

View attachment 86092

Or the expression on yours when he accidentally torches your bits whilst in your pocket:ohmy:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We are off to London in early August for my daughters 13th, meeting up with family in a restaurant for a surprise dinner and doing The London eye, Madame Tussaud's and The Shard.
It did cross my mind to carry some sort of protection yesterday.
But when we are queuing for The Eye, for example, I will be looking to see if there are any armed police around just for reassurance.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Carrying something sounds like a recipe for disaster. More likely to be struck by lightning than caught up in a terrorist incident so you'll just end up getting nicked for carrying it or hurting yourself.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Rounder’s bat? If you have kids or can justifiably say you play with palls for fun just have it in your bag along with a tennis ball and say you were off to the park after work if ever questioned. Won’t stop a bullet but you can thwack away a machete with one. I don't think I'd like living in London at the moment. I feel for everyone and hope nothing more happens.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/5ia/M-Y-...8&qid=1496820290&sr=8-3&keywords=rounders+bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here