Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Necessary or over the top?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
There was a planned non school uniform day this week for my youngest Sons school. He has just come home and told me that it has now been cancelled in-case someone wears a bomb vest/knives/guns etc.

I am all for security after recent events but just wondering where this all ends.

Last edited:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Couldn't they wear one anyway?

Well you would think so... I am going to give the school a phone and ask them to clarify the reasoning behind it. To me it seems an extreme decision to use the recent attacks to stop a non uniform day.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I presume the school authorities mean a 'fake' bomb vest, rather than a real one?
What about in case someone wears a mankini, or 1000's of other inappropriate costumes / types of clothing? Is there nothing in place to prevent / respond to wearing other clearly inappropriate choices?
Ludicrous
(I also happen to think that a 'non school uniform day' is a daft idea too, but that is a whole different subject matter...)

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
He just said they mentioned guns and knives could be concealed as well. As another poster pointed out, surely this could happen anyway with Coats/blazers on a normal school day. The only reasoning I could see behind it is if someone from outside the school came in disguised as a student. Even then they could just buy a uniform...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There was a planned non school uniform day this week for my youngest Sons school. He has just come home and told me that it has now been cancelled in-case someone wears a bomb vest.

I am all for security after recent events but just wondering where this all ends.

I know some people are risk adverse but this is just stupid. I would have thought that most children would want to go dressed up as there favourite film or tv characters. there would a load of children dressed from Harry Potter, Batman or whatever.

I doubt that any would even consider going as an Urban Guerilla or wearing a bomb vest.

Expect that shortly the school will be running a lock down exercise , where the children all have to run, hide and stay silent for several hours in case a madman enters the school at some future date.

Whatever happened to the innocence of youth?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I really, really hope that either your son loves his school uniform so much that he is desperate to wear it that day, or that he is just on a mission to wind you up.

Please tell me that no teacher would seriously say that you can't have a 'non-uniform day' as it would improve your chances of smuggling guns and knives into school.

Maybe at the next teacher / parents evening you could discuss how to raise funds for metal detectors / full body scanners at every entrance? :ffsparr:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What sort of sicko parent would allow their kid to arrive at school wearing a bomb vest? :nono:

I would send mine as an armed police officer complete with balaclava!

baby_terrorist2.jpg

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Definitely OTT.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd consider pulling my boy out of school if they thought that was a reason to cancel mufti day*. its suggesting the school is unsafe. you should email the head with that point.

(* ironic name for it eh?)

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Sounds like bollocks to me.

My Son has no reason to lie and I certainly wouldn't post it here if I didn't believe him. I have emailed the school as I want a reply in writing, will update when I get a response back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here