Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Skids

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
If you get the chance, go see them on their 40th anniversary tour.
Went last night at Northampton Roadmenders and what a great night!
Richard Jobson, still dancing in his own unique way, just had a big grin on his face all the way through. Very engaging and telling us about how the Skids were formed, great references to Stuart Adamson, and an abundance of energy for a bloke his age.
Finished the night with TV stars (Albert Tatlock) which he morphed into Simon Cowell , he's a w@nker.
Top night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Went last night at Northampton Roadmenders and what a great night!
Richard Jobson, still dancing in his own unique way, just had a big grin on his face all the way through. Very engaging and telling us about how the Skids were formed, great references to Stuart Adamson, and an abundance of energy for a bloke his age.
Finished the night with TV stars (Albert Tatlock) which he morphed into Simon Cowell , he's a w@nker.
Top night.

Saw them at the Marquee, Wardour Street, New Year's eve, 1977. Also saw Big Country in Vancouver citca 1985. And Dead Men Walking, featuring the surviving Big Country guitarist, Folkestone circa 2005 . . . . The Skids were great, and its good news to hear that Jobson is at it again. Thanks for posting :cheers:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Saw them at the Marquee, Wardour Street, New Year's eve, 1977. Also saw Big Country in Vancouver citca 1985. And Dead Men Walking, featuring the surviving Big Country guitarist, Folkestone circa 2005 . . . . The Skids were great, and its good news to hear that Jobson is at it again. Thanks for posting :cheers:

Went to see Big Country last year in Leamington Spa, with Bruce Watson more or less fronting them, and he was playing with the Skids last night.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Went to see Big Country last year in Leamington Spa, with Bruce Watson more or less fronting them, and he was playing with the Skids last night.

I like that. I just checked the website. Sadly no gig near me :-(

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
My first ever gig, at the Top Rank in 1979 or '80 I think.
Got my ticket for June 17th at Concorde 2 and greatly looking forward to it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I was there too!

Saw them in Manchester on Friday night, Jobson is a superb front man. St Pauli T shirt, drenched in sweat,
passionate and charming.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved 'Circus Games' which was a bit later.

I never got to see the original line up. But I had a great evening at the brilliant Big Country gig at the Top Rank Suite in 1983, promoting their very unique album 'The Crossing'. 2,000 packed in, going bananas.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.

I was at the Top Rank too. They were one of my favourite bands at the time and they certainly didn't disappoint. Enjoy the Concorde gig, pretty miffed that I can't make it.

I like that. I just checked the website. Sadly no gig near me :-(
Don't people bother supplying links on NSC any more?

Saw them in the Basement of the Hope & Anchor Islington in 79.
Blimey, that sounds like a bit of a comedown from the Manchester Apollo. That makes the 534-seat Mansfield Palace Theatre a viable venue! (although it scored a coup in the 1980s when it managed to attract Gloria Gaynor ).

OK, just in case I'm accused of hypocrisy..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_Theatre,_Mansfield

Last edited:

scottieboy

Feb 2, 2009
I was there. Band had to walk through crowd to get onto the small stage. Into the Valley interrupted because audience surge caused people to spill onto the stage. Happy Days.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Skids for Kids Longhill School I think 1980.

To make up for playing in the over 18s Top Rank Suite (you know the same Top Rank Suite that would let you in if you were 14 and looked at least 15). The Skids played an after school gig off the back of a lorry at My school and I was delighted. Good band nice gesture.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Skids for Kids Longhill School I think 1980.

To make up for playing in the over 18s Top Rank Suite (you know the same Top Rank Suite that would let you in if you were 14 and looked at least 15). The Skids played an after school gig off the back of a lorry at My school and I was delighted. Good band nice gesture.

image.jpg

This photo came up on Twitter recently, yes it was 1980.

Top Rank Suite wouldn't let me in to see Stiff Little Fingers when I was about 15.
I never got turned away from gigs at Jenkinsons though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here