Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another take on last night.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Many of you on here know Laura ( BAG)

Laura was out last night at a blitz party in London and after hearing what was going on, she made her way outside to get home..nothing was moving, all the train stations were closed and tube stations the same.

She and her friend, started walking to kings Cross hoping to get a cab or train. She couldn't get one so at 11 to 12 o'clock she started walking like many other Londoners to get to Waterloo where she had heard there would be great western trains to Woking where she could get a cab home. After walking from kings cross for an hour or so she finally arrived at Waterloo only to find that the last train to Woking had left leaving her on her own to try and see how the hell she could get home.

Here is the power , yes The power of social media.......she tweeted SWT south western trains and explained the situation...she was contacted by a lovely person who told her to go and get a taxi and SwT would be happy to pick up the tab. She eventually got home at around 3 am. Imagine that!

I am welling up just typing this only imagining what she was going through on her own in a city in lockdown not knowing how to get home.

I know Southern gets a bad press and sure enough they damn well deserve it a try times, but SWT have stepped up and help out my child.

I have no words of gratitude to South Western Trains that could do justice to how I feel about that person who kept in contact...also to the woman in London who gave her a charger for her phone as the battery was going...to the people of London who stopped and helped and to the taxi driver who drove an hour to get her home safe. To the police and emergency services who tried to keep the situation under control and to the spirit of people under pressure.

Sorry if this sounds overly sentimental, but I hope those of you who have known Laura for many years will be happy that she is safe and well.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Sorry if this sounds overly sentimental, but I hope those of you who have known Laura for many years will be happy that she is safe and well.

Damn straight.
You're allowed to be overly sentimental when your kids are involved, I think.
Social Media can be a force for good. Like here, clearly.
But, sadly, it often isn't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Laura was out last night at a blitz party in London and after hearing what was going on, she made her way outside to get home..nothing was moving, all the train stations were closed and tube stations the same.

She and her friend, started walking to kings Cross hoping to get a cab or train. She couldn't get one so at 11 to 12 o'clock she started walking like many other Londoners to get to Waterloo where she had heard there would be great western trains to Woking where she could get a cab home. After walking from kings cross for an hour or so she finally arrived at Waterloo only to find that the last train to Woking had left leaving her on her own to try and see how the hell she could get home.

Here is the power , yes The power of social media.......she tweeted SWT south western trains and explained the situation...she was contacted by a lovely person who told her to go and get a taxi and SwT would be happy to pick up the tab. She eventually got home at around 3 am. Imagine that!

I am welling up just typing this only imagining what she was going through on her own in a city in lockdown not knowing how to get home.

I know Southern gets a bad press and sure enough they damn well deserve it a try times, but SWT have stepped up and help out my child.

I have no words of gratitude to South Western Trains that could do justice to how I feel about that person who kept in contact...also to the woman in London who gave her a charger for her phone as the battery was going...to the people of London who stopped and helped and to the taxi driver who drove an hour to get her home safe. To the police and emergency services who tried to keep the situation under control and to the spirit of people under pressure.

No apology needed. Glad she's OK.

My wife and her friend decided to go shopping in London yesterday/today. Her friend has a small flat in Tooley Street (v near London Bridge) but they decided to book a hotel at the last minute for last night in the West End instead to be nearer the shops. Fate is a fickle thing.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne

Reading that has made me quite emotional.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm on the night shift and was following the #londonbridge hashtag. There seemed to be a lot of people tweeting that they could offer a sofa and cuppa/sandwich to people stuck in London.
It does show that, despite the actions of a bunch of deluded murderous ****wits, there are a lot of very decent people out there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
laurajaynew14How I want to remember last night in #London . I don't want to think about how scared I was walking near London Bridge. I don't want to remember being told to "run for our lives" not knowing where was safe to run to at Bank. I don't want to remember the meltdown I had at Waterloo after walking 8 miles to get the last train and missing it by 1 minute. I want to remember the joy that London gives me, the feeling of being part of something bigger, the multicultural melting pot where you're both anonymous and seen. That's my London, not the terror. My heart goes out to all those who weren't so lucky

These are her words

I am so proud of her.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Glad she is safe. Hope the taxi driver didn't sting SWT for a fortune, I know it's his income but a little profit would be good.
Liverpool cabbies raced to Manchester for free to collect stranded people.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Fantastic story. The stupid, pathetic, extremist filth don't seem to realise that the more poison they spout and the more they attack us, the more we appreciate the freedom that we have and the closer together our nation becomes. They are making us stronger.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I use SWT regularly in to Waterloo, on the Woking line, and they never cease to amaze me with a great service and really friendly guards.

Was on my way back from the Amex on SWT and lost my return ticket so handed over my inbound one to try and blag it. When he told me of my mistake I obviously couldn't then find the return but he said all was ok as I must have just lost it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my daughter was going to London but decided to to go to Barcelona at the last minute
and I would not have known where she might have been in London
original post was great
family EH!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
laurajaynew14How I want to remember last night in #London . I don't want to think about how scared I was walking near London Bridge. I don't want to remember being told to "run for our lives" not knowing where was safe to run to at Bank. I don't want to remember the meltdown I had at Waterloo after walking 8 miles to get the last train and missing it by 1 minute. I want to remember the joy that London gives me, the feeling of being part of something bigger, the multicultural melting pot where you're both anonymous and seen. That's my London, not the terror. My heart goes out to all those who weren't so lucky

These are her words

I am so proud of her.

Brilliant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here