Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What to do with a broken MacBook Pro [Way O/T]

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I didn't think I'd ever have to write this and I'm very sad that it's come to this.
I love my MBP and I've dragged it all over the world and didn't treat her right.

It's a late-2013 MacBook Pro with a fecked SSD and slightly damaged bottom (ooo-er) cover.
The cost to replace both parts looks to be around £200.

Anyone know of a company, or even better, whether Apple (in the U.K.) take in old Macs as part of an exchange program (as they do with iPhones)?

Cheers

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
57d61ea698cabd3aa468db443fc10ad0.jpg

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Google "part exchange apple laptop"

The 1st 4 links in the list (after the ads) give you a fair idea of the options.
Short version - yes, Apple take in laptops as well as phones for P/X

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
While it's true that Apple accept trade ins I don't think it offers that great value - better to sell on eBay (being as explicit as you can with description and photos).

Even better why not just fix it yourself. An SSD in most models can just be swapped out.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Even better why not just fix it yourself. An SSD in most models can just be swapped out.

I am definitely able to fix it up myself, I'm just weighing up whether to get a newer model dependant on trade-in value.
Unfortunately with my model (late-2013), as far as I'm aware after some research, I need a very specific SSD, which can only be bought in a used condition.

The bottom plate is ok and easy to swap.
But I think I'm limited to L2013-2015 MBP SSD's only. So they will be fairly old and certainly used.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I'd be tempted to flog it on eBay if I were you and put the proceeds towards a new one. You'll get a much better price than anything Apple will give you.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
have a look on ebay to see what it's worth broken and what it's worth if you fix it. If it costs in, fix it and sell it (or keep it).

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'd be tempted to flog it on eBay if I were you and put the proceeds towards a new one. You'll get a much better price than anything Apple will give you.

Seems like my only options so far is Sell it privately or fix it myself.

Did the Apple calculation for exchange and got a big fat £0 offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here