Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Internment

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It's time to bring back internment I believe. Build a large prison on an uninhabited Scottish island, dump all the terrorists or suspected terrorists there and throw away the key. The fact that we have thousands of these bar stewards walking the same streets as us and breathing the same air is truly appalling. If they don't like our values and culture they should bugger off or be forced out. We have been too soft for too long. Rant over.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Just as well you don't have a say then.. what a great way to disenfranchise and radicalise! Internment is the imprisonment or detention of individuals without a fair trial or hearing based on their political or religious belief. Operation Demetrius is a prime example of why internment doesn't work.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Tommy, is that you?

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
If they don't like our values and culture they should bugger off or be forced out. We have been too soft for too long. Rant over.

Many people in the countries that were under control of the British Empire thought the same. Just saying..

And I would feel sorry for the many beautiful species of birds that inhabit those scottish islands if we dump these scumbags on them.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Historians generally view the period of internment as inflaming sectarian tensions in Northern Ireland, while failing in its goal of arresting key members of the IRA. Many of the people arrested had no links whatsoever with the IRA, but their names appeared on the list of those to be arrested through bungling and incompetence. The list's lack of reliability and the arrests that followed, complemented by reports of internees being abused far in excess of the usual state violence,[7] led to more nationalists identifying with the IRA and losing hope in non-violent methods. After Operation Demetrius, recruits came forward in huge numbers to join the Provisional and Official wings of the IRA.[19] Internment also led to a sharp increase in violence. In the eight months before the operation, there were 34 conflict-related deaths in Northern Ireland. In the four months following it, 140 were killed.[19] A serving officer of the British Royal Marines declared:

It (internment) has, in fact, increased terrorist activity, perhaps boosted IRA recruitment, polarised further the Catholic and Protestant communities and reduced the ranks of the much needed Catholic moderates.[21]

In terms of loss of life, 1972 was the most violent year of the Troubles. The fatal march on Bloody Sunday (30 January 1972) in Derry, when 14 unarmed civil rights protesters were shot dead by British paratroopers, was an anti-internment march.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Demetrius

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
We are NOT to blame for what happened in the past, how long does it take to understand this?

Yes, obviously I understand that. I preferred to make comparison of the OP's thought process rather than support these over the top supposed solutions for something I believe can be fixed much more progressively.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
terrorist have generally been found to have done something and are in prison. suspected terrorists havent yet, are held on remand and theres a process of law to go through. how would you feel about internment when you are put on the watch list because you have some passing connection to some else on the list?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
If you put even a moments thought into this you can see what an absolutely terrible idea it is. To defeat the death cult will take a long time and a lot of effort and we will need to be clever about what we do.It isn't going to be solved by one extreme idea dreamed up in the pub.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
And can I ask how you are going to identify these Muslims? Dulux colour chart? I know people are upset, angry and feeling despair but nonsense like this is not the answer to this problem. I'm not saying we should all link arms singing Heal the World but widespread discrimination will only feed this plague. And before anyone tries the 'so you're saying we deserve it' argument that is not what I am saying. These people are subhuman and I have nothing but resent for them, however proposing locking up millions without reason or charge is both insane and impractical in equal measure.

boik

It's time to bring back internment I believe. Build a large prison on an uninhabited Scottish island, dump all the terrorists or suspected terrorists there and throw away the key. The fact that we have thousands of these bar stewards walking the same streets as us and breathing the same air is truly appalling. If they don't like our values and culture they should bugger off or be forced out. We have been too soft for too long. Rant over.

Forced out to where? And when they go there do you think they'd just take up flower arranging, or do you think they might target the people that did this to them.

I understand people are angra#y, but just lashing out with no thought of the consequences will only make things worse.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
And can I ask how you are going to identify these Muslims? Dulux colour chart? I know people are upset, angry and feeling despair but nonsense like this is not the answer to this problem. I'm not saying we should all link arms singing Heal the World but widespread discrimination will only feed this plague. And before anyone tries the 'so you're saying we deserve it' argument that is not what I am saying. These people are subhuman and I have nothing but resent for them, however proposing locking up millions without reason or charge is both insane and impractical in equal measure.

'dump all the terrorists or suspected terrorists' can you read?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The best way to deal with terrorist is as the police did last night.....They can`t do it again and will not cost taxpayer anything in court or prison costs.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
'dump all the terrorists or suspected terrorists' can you read?

So how do you define a suspected terrorist? If someone is yet to break a law how can you justify locking them up? If you start locking up people based on suspicions then we destroy the freedom and liberty that separates us from the terrorists.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
So how do you define a suspected terrorist? If someone is yet to break a law how can you justify locking them up? If you start locking up people based on suspicions then we destroy the freedom and liberty that separates us from the terrorists.

That is not my job now is it, we have a very good secrete service and I'm sure they will know who to target. but anyone who has left the country and fought for isis would be the first to be identified. then hate preachers and supporters of hate speech.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
That is not my job now is it, we have a very good secrete service and I'm sure they will know who to target. but anyone who has left the country and fought for isis would be the first to be identified. then hate preachers and supporters of hate speech.

I agree. And let's hope that we're actively looking to eliminate some of these individuals as well. The fact that they can come and go as they please must now end.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Forced out to where? And when they go there do you think they'd just take up flower arranging, or do you think they might target the people that did this to them.

I understand people are angra#y, but just lashing out with no thought of the consequences will only make things worse.

How would you feel if this were in Brighton?. We must stop appeasing them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here