Page 63 of 89 FirstFirst ... 13536061626364656673 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by e77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    'Inferior race'. You are a racist and with that I am out.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawros left foot View Post
    If you call other races inferior, you open your self up to accusations of racism, whether you are or not.
    <Pendant alert and not defending @sydney in any way> Muslims are no more a race than Christians.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

ESU Zimmer Crew

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      I agree. The problem is clearly Islam and we do need to ask serious questions about it and all those who follow it but let's remember we live in a free society where people have the right to express views that we find abhorrent. I find much of Islam goes against Western liberal values and it seriously needs a reformation but bulldozing mosques isn't the answer.

We need to do away with the idea that we can't insult Muhammed and we can't insult Islam. It's just a belief system, people should be allowed to hate it but likewise people should also be allowed to follow it. Just make sure that the values that we hold dear are the ones that have absolute precedence over any religious beliefs and these are the ones we promote and protect.
      I don't disagree with any of that. Except to say that when it comes to insulting religion I recoil at what I see as deliberate provocation. I wouldn't deliberately insult someone's religion just because I can. It's rather churlish. Challenging it, yes.
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      Was that when we took Bejams....?

2 Not allowed!
      they are killing people on the streets....corporal punishment .....hung , wrapped in pig skin , sailed out to the continental shelf......
      Which is all the more reason that we look for measures that will bring results rather than will just make us feel better. There isn't always a correlation between the apparent extremity of measures suggested and how much someone cares. I was out in a busy pub in Borough Market last week and stopped and stood next to some tourists on the bridge as we all looked across the river at a stunning sunset. I felt so proud of London at that moment and I can visualise last night's seen very well and it fills me with anger and revulsion. I hate the scum that did this as much as anyone.
      ESU Zimmer Crew

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by symyjym View Post
      You haven't even listened to it.
      I have.
      Was that when we took Bejams....?
      Glory hunting since 1969 lawros left foot's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
      <Pendant alert and not defending @sydney in any way> Muslims are no more a race than Christians.
      Yeah, I realise that, my post was in the context of the original post
      You be glad you be Sussex born!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      I don't disagree with any of that. Except to say that when it comes to insulting religion I recoil at what I see as deliberate provocation. I wouldn't deliberately insult someone's religion just because I can. It's rather churlish. Challenging it, yes.
      Oh same here. Just because I don't respect the religion doesn't mean I don't respect the right for someone to follow that and if that's their sincerely held belief and the way in which they follow it doesn't impinge on anyone else then it's none of my business.

It's that free speech thing again though. There is (or should be) free speech. What there isn't is free from consequences. If you take the piss out of someone just to insult them rather than challenge then don't be surprised if they get insulted and react badly. That goes for all sides. A lesson Kathy Griffin badly needs to learn also.
      My music blog: de-minimis music

10 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      I agree. The problem is clearly Islam and we do need to ask serious questions about it and all those who follow it but let's remember we live in a free society where people have the right to express views that we find abhorrent. I find much of Islam goes against Western liberal values and it seriously needs a reformation but bulldozing mosques isn't the answer.

We need to do away with the idea that we can't insult Muhammed and we can't insult Islam. It's just a belief system, people should be allowed to hate it but likewise people should also be allowed to follow it. Just make sure that the values that we hold dear are the ones that have absolute precedence over any religious beliefs and these are the ones we promote and protect.
      I agree with this. As a person with christian beliefs, whilst I think everyone should express ideas thoughtfully, I would not hesitate to defend someone's right to dispute and even denigrate my religion should they so wish. Christianity went through a reformation which Islam never has. I think that makes a difference apart from the peaceful nature of Jesus Christ as opposed to Mohammed. There has been a kind of Orwellian situation the past twenty years or so in which, if I may misquote, 'All religions are equal, but some religions are more equal than others.' It is precisely because we have pussy-footed around the problem of criticism of Islam/The Prophet, that we have many of these home grown nutters who have been allowed to nurture their intolerance for our way of life whilst enjoying the benefits befitting of some one who lives in the West. I am of the opinion that all belief which is likely to allow for indiscriminate treatment of our laws and any separate system of law, such as Sharia, should be outlawed. Any such people who desire to live under such laws/beliefs, should be encouraged to emigrate to a country where their beliefs will not cause discord and if that is not possible, they should be interred. Imagine if in the second world war, we had allowed Nazi sympathisers to try to build another society alongside our own culture, that would have been unthinkable.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Cross Code Man View Post
      I agree with this. As a person with christian beliefs, whilst I think everyone should express ideas thoughtfully, I would not hesitate to defend someone's right to dispute and even denigrate my religion should they so wish. Christianity went through a reformation which Islam never has. I think that makes a difference apart from the peaceful nature of Jesus Christ as opposed to Mohammed. There has been a kind of Orwellian situation the past twenty years or so in which, if I may misquote, 'All religions are equal, but some religions are more equal than others.' It is precisely because we have pussy-footed around the problem of criticism of Islam/The Prophet, that we have many of these home grown nutters who have been allowed to nurture their intolerance for our way of life whilst enjoying the benefits befitting of some one who lives in the West. I am of the opinion that all belief which is likely to allow for indiscriminate treatment of our laws and any separate system of law, such as Sharia, should be outlawed. Any such people who desire to live under such laws/beliefs, should be encouraged to emigrate to a country where their beliefs will not cause discord and if that is not possible, they should be interred. Imagine if in the second world war, we had allowed Nazi sympathisers to try to build another society alongside our own culture, that would have been unthinkable.
      Stands up and claps. Top post, mate.
      Brighton Born &amp; Bred symyjym's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      I have.
      Did you understand that he knew he was blatantly lying with intent to deceive people. It's one thing being opinionated and having different views but to be deliberately deceptive with intent to manipulate is a step towards evil and certainly insulting our intelligence.

3 Not allowed!
      No more candles, prayers or flags on government buildings please. What would be brilliant is if the authorities projected this picture onto Big Ben:

Send them a message they won't forget.