Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke Wright steps down as Sussex Skipper.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Sussex Cricket has today announced that Luke Wright had decided to step down in his role as county captain.

The 32 year-old batsman, who has been with the club since joining from Leicestershire in 2004, has taken the decision to relinquish the captaincy.

Wright originally took over as NatWest T20 Blast captain for Sussex ahead of the 2015 season, which was also his Benefit Year at Hove. He then took over the captaincy across all three formats of the game in 2016, following Ed Joyce's decision to end his own reign as skipper.

He has now decided to step down as Sussex captain, with the side having played four Specsavers County Championship matches so far this summer, as well as the Royal London One-Day Cup campaign, which the Sharks narrowly missed out on a quarter-final berth.

Chris Nash will lead the team for tomorrow’s Specsavers County Championship match with Worcestershire.

http://www.sussexcricket.co.uk/news-1/player-news-luke-wright-steps-down-as-sussex-captain

--------------------------------

That has come out of the blue!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is the decision driven by the poor results of late?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Wright said of his decision, “Firstly, I would like thank Sussex for the privilege and honour of being made captain of this fantastic club.

“I have always been someone that loves and enjoys the game, but over a period of time now whilst being captain, this has not been the case and it has affected me both on and off the pitch.

“After taking some time I decided that stepping down was in mine and the club's best interests going forward.

“I look forward to giving my full commitment as a player to future Sussex successes.”

Sussex's Director of Cricket Keith Greenfield said, “Luke has made this decision with the best interests of himself, his young family and the team, and we thank him for all of his efforts while captaining the club. It is an all-encompassing position, particularly whilst rebuilding the team.

“Luke plays his best when enjoying his cricket and playing in an attacking manner. We all want to see Luke play with a smile on his face and enjoying his cricket.

“This way, we will all see the best of Luke and we know he’ll continue to drive success for Sussex Cricket going forward.”

Head Coach Mark Davis said, “I would like to thank Luke for everything he has done for the team in his role as captain. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with Luke and establishing a new-look Sussex team that will bring success back to our great club.

“His passion and enthusiasm for the club is second to none and without the stress and strains of captaincy, I am convinced he will be back to winning games for the club.”

Chris Nash will lead the team for tomorrow’s Specsavers County Championship match with Worcestershire.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Yet there is still no better way to spend on a sunny day lounging about at the county ground, beer to hand, gala pie to eat, chat to your mates. Sometimes you even watch cricket. Roll on tomorrow.

Indeed, i'm a real 'bad fan' when it comes to Sussex, I have a membership and spend a lot of time down there and of course want us to win, but it's more the day out for me and i'm never that down if we lose. Sometimes wish I could take football defeats in the same light!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'm sure we have many cricket experts on NSC, why are Sussex crap at the moment?

Is it whilst a young team develops before we return to the glory years or are we just crap now?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Not before time, a lovely bloke but never a Captain, not sure Nash is the right answer either, I would opt for Ben Brown.

This. Wright having to resign himself indicates the leadership malaise right through the club. It was clear that Wright was not enjoying the role and that his form had suffered a long long time ago. Yet nothing happens until he himself took this step. We will probably have to wait for Davies to resign as well, despite the appalling results he has led since he took over.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm sure we have many cricket experts on NSC, why are Sussex crap at the moment?

Is it whilst a young team develops before we return to the glory years or are we just crap now?

Sussex First innings scores:
Kent - 164 a/o - Lost by 147 runs
Durham - 668 - Won Inn & 177
Notts - 155 - Lost by inn & 88 runs
Kent 291 - Lost by 226 runs
----------------
Glos 435 - Draw
Wors 229 - Lost by 11 runs
Lancs - 313 - Won Inn & 59
Kent - 180 - Lost by Inn & 127

etc......

This isn't a new problem, our batting hasn't been good enough now for a few seasons, it doesn't give our very good bowling attack anything to bowl at! We need to be consistently getting 350 in first innings to give ourselves a chance.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Sadly the 'Glory Years' were the exception and this is the norm.

Only got to wait another 200 years before we enter another golden era!

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Yet there is still no better way to spend on a sunny day lounging about at the county ground, beer to hand, gala pie to eat, chat to your mates. Sometimes you even watch cricket. Roll on tomorrow.

deck chair snooze after tea break is normally in order...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wright is a top one day batsman hence him consistently being selected by the Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash T20. Was down in NZ/Oz a couple of years back and watched all their games (free to view - ECB take note) and he was superb. But not a Captain - haven't had a real Captain since Grizzly...

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Wright is a top one day batsman hence him consistently being selected by the Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash T20. Was down in NZ/Oz a couple of years back and watched all their games (free to view - ECB take note) and he was superb. But not a Captain - haven't had a real Captain since Grizzly...

Scored a shedload of runs in the Championship as well in the last season in Div 1. Can't remember the last time he got a decent score for Sussex.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not an expert, but go a fair amount.

I think appointing the coach from within the club was a mistake and a big shake up is required.

Adams may work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can see where you coming from,but just look at what Adams had in the way of players.

Yes but for me, the warm-up is always sluggish, some of the chances we put down other teams would take, and everything always strikes me as a little unprofessional.

I think they need a nasty bugger to shake them up a bit, Adams fits the bill, but could be anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Adams was not a success as Surrey coach, although he clearly hankers after the Sussex job.

I'm not clear what significant difference changing the coach would make. The innate quality of the players are the problem, especially the lack of class batsmen. We really need some who are just below international standard so England keep their greedy paws away, like Adams, or who don't want to play internationals even though they are obviously class, like Goodwin.

And a world class leg spinner...

Except there aren't any available.

The coach can only polish the turds - he can't transform them into gourmet meals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here