Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It Was 50 Years Ago Today.........

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Happy birthday Sgt Peppars Lonely Hearts Club band, probably the greatest album of all time

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Here Here. But perhaps you need to be of a certain age. I'll play it all day today and see what my Daughters think.
PS those guys at 8:50 on Sky News looked bad.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yes, Sgt. Pepper even had the great Brian Wilson scratching his head in amazement.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Off to the Royal Albert Hall for the concert tonight - looking forward to it.
Same here - we got the tickets ages ago after we saw The Sessions there last year. Have been looking forward to this evening, should be brilliant.
Not sure what happenend with the Sessions production - it disappeared without trace after the Albert Hall show. It must have been a fortune to put on - I wonder if it went skint.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Happy birthday Sgt Peppars Lonely Hearts Club band, probably the greatest album of all time

OK album, but not even the best of 1967. Love's Forever Changes is streets ahead.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Absolutely momentous album. I remember a baking hot day, everybody's windows open trying to get a breath of air through - and where someone had bought a copy of Sergeant Pepper, people paused in the street outside to listen in wonder. Yes, probably the greatest album of all time, but in terms of impact, definitely the number one.
Peppers was a high point in many ways; it was after Peppers that rock and pop went their separate ways, and never again would we see such universal enthusiasm right across the nation.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
OK album, but not even the best of 1967. Love's Forever Changes is streets ahead.

True, as is 'Something Else by the Kinks' and 'The Velvet Underground & Nico' also both 1967.

Howard Goodall was on the radio this morning plugging this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tb97f

Could be of interest to Beatles fans and musos.

He had me shouting at the radio by repeating the usual myths about this album coming from nowhere and changing popular music single-handedly. Apparently it was the first time that anyone had used studio technology in pop music. Tell that to Brian Wilson. 2016 was the 50th anniversary of 'Pet Sounds'. Tell that to Phil Spector who had been doing it for most of the decade. Oh but they used strings on rock and roll records? So did Leiber and Stoller on 'Spanish Harlem' in 1960. They used odd vintage instruments! What like the Bonzos had been doing for five years? No it wasn't the first concept album. The Kinks had made 'Face to Face' a year earlier. No it wasn't the first use of drone in pop music. Cale and Reed had already done this with the Velvets after working with La Monte Young.

Yes 'Sgt Pepper' was the first time that a lot of critics and the general public noticed that pop music could be art, rather than throwaway fluff, but it wasn't created in a bubble. The Beatles took influences from all over and packaged them for the masses. They didn't invent them. The only real invention that happened was from George Martin and the studio engineers who found ways of making Lennon's nebulous demands reality.

Virtually the only repeated claim about 'Sgt Pepper' that is true is its being credited for starting prog rock. I'd use the word blamed rather than credited.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
True, as is 'Something Else by the Kinks' and 'The Velvet Underground & Nico' also both 1967.

Howard Goodall was on the radio this morning plugging this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tb97f

Could be of interest to Beatles fans and musos.

He had me shouting at the radio by repeating the usual myths about this album coming from nowhere and changing popular music single-handedly. Apparently it was the first time that anyone had used studio technology in pop music. Tell that to Brian Wilson. 2016 was the 50th anniversary of 'Pet Sounds'. Tell that to Phil Spector who had been doing it for most of the decade. Oh but they used strings on rock and roll records? So did Leiber and Stoller on 'Spanish Harlem' in 1960. They used odd vintage instruments! What like the Bonzos had been doing for five years? No it wasn't the first concept album. The Kinks had made 'Face to Face' a year earlier. No it wasn't the first use of drone in pop music. Cale and Reed had already done this with the Velvets after working with La Monte Young.

Yes 'Sgt Pepper' was the first time that a lot of critics and the general public noticed that pop music could be art, rather than throwaway fluff, but it wasn't created in a bubble. The Beatles took influences from all over and packaged them for the masses. They didn't invent them. The only real invention that happened was from George Martin and the studio engineers who found ways of making Lennon's nebulous demands reality.

Virtually the only repeated claim about 'Sgt Pepper' that is true is its being credited for starting prog rock. I'd use the word blamed rather than credited.
'Sgt Pepper' is a great album but nothing next to 'Pet Sounds' for me. 'The Beatles', 'Abbey Road' and 'Revolver' are all better Beatles albums than 'Sgt Pepper' for me.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Some good points here.

I absolutely LOVE the Beatles, they were unquestionably the most influential band of all time and the vast majority of their songs are brilliant, timeless classics that appeal across the generations. But weirdly none of their albums feature in my personal top 10, although they're all great.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
True, as is 'Something Else by the Kinks' and 'The Velvet Underground & Nico' also both 1967..

1967 was a ridiculously good year for classic albums. As well as those there was Disraeli Gears, Are you Experienced, The Doors, John Wesley Harding

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1967 was a ridiculously good year for classic albums. As well as those there was Disraeli Gears, Are you Experienced, The Doors, John Wesley Harding

As well as Buffalo Springfield and the brilliant Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane. I am still a fan of Between the Buttons by the Stones which has disappeared into obscurity.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Forever Changes, Pet Sounds, Disraeli Gears, Revolver, Are You Experienced? The Doors. Wow! I'd add Da Capo by Love except that Side 2 was pure self-indulgence. Rubber Soul was maybe better than Sgt Pepper and very different from what The Beatles had done before. And what about Pink Floyd The Piper at the Gates of Dawn? Moody Blues Days of Future Passed pitched the group with a full orchestra. Then there's the one that got away: Smile. What an era for music! And yes, Sgt Pepper was a great album but so many were!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here