Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Liked the Beatles and Stones,but Hendrix and Jethro Tull were better.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some years ago I bought the Apple USB containing the complete works. I think I was plugging a noticeable gap in my music collection - had lots of Stones and zero Beatles.

I'm glad I bought it and I certainly didn't pay anywhere near what it seems to cost now.

Love all the classics, but as an observation amidst all those classics there is (say it very quietly) quite a lot of dross. IMHO naturally.

Octopuses garden?

I'm strangely drawn back to this thread. I was brought up in Rottingdene till the age of five, and the Beatlemania (62-63 when I moved to Portslade) was palpable. But I remember the hype on the five O clock club about an appearance of the Beatles . . . I was SOOOO excited. And then when they appeared is was a lot of beetle puppets miming to 'she loves you' with Pinky and Perk helium voices. I felt SOOO cheated. I actually think it warped my tiny mind. Ever since, I studiously avoided being mugged over by media hype, and always prefered to find my music magic from stuff that your average wanker would find 'difficult'. I moved on from that a bit in my thirties, and now find quite a lot of mainstream pop (Madonna, Massive Attack, Mesh, for example from among the Ms) agreeable. But still.

Despite their undoubted impact, I still find the Beatles lack the charm that lights my fire. Perhaps the reports of Lennon's cynicism didn't help. Paradoxically the ONLY two examples of the Beatles and related ouvre that got the hairs on the back on my neck standing up includes Lennon's 'Working Class Hero'. The other (which will have one or two on here demanding that McCartney be stripped of is knighthood) is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaO4XeHhwo8

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
True, but I was posting so that the youngsters could understand.

Whitelion, the journalists and presenters tried to make a rivalry with Beatles and Stones fans, but having lived throughout the 60s, and met many other people, I never came across anyone who was totally for one and against the other.

You didn't hang around in my circles.

Mods or clean cut youths liked the Beatles and the rockers/bikers etc went for the Stones.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Loved the Beatles I was a bit to young to see them live but my brother saw them, I have seen two of the Beatles live George and Ringo

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I preferred them all once they went onto solo careers.

George Harrison went onto create super band the 'Traveling Wilbury's', Paul McCartney joined up with Michael Jackson, Ringo became the voice of 'The Thomas the tank engine show' and John Lennon became lead singer for the very successful band 'Oasis'.

Not bad considering these were the same guys who wrote Yellow submarine!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
the-beatles-statue-opposite.jpg

Beatles statues on Liverpool pier head

My best mate saw them play at the Cavern from the start (when a spotty teenage Cilla worked in the cloakroom). I asked him once how many times; "20-30". That's quite something. He told me about the time he saw them in their new suits and with their new instruments, and how everyone realised they (locals with little cash) would probably never see them live again.

Oddly, the Beatles are far from my mate's favourite band, and he waxes lyrical about numerous other bands from the time (Little Richard playing a New Brighton, etc).

For me, in the 60s, I loved them, but I found them strangely overhyped, even as a 5-8 year old. I love my music (and listen to maybe 30 tracks a day on the train to and from work) but I have no Beatles on my iPod (I did, but I wiped it). As a 5-8 year old, the music that made me go 'wow' was:

Telstar by the Tornados (the first record that blew me away)
Shakin' all over by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates
Kite by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound
Break Away by the Beach boys
Marrakesh Express by Crosby Stills and Nash
Walk away Renee by the Four Tops
You've lost that lovin feelin by the Walker Brothers
Baby Come back by the Equals

Oh, I could go on . . . :lolol:

Good stuff on that list Mr. W

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can't deny their importance but unlike the Stones, an awful lot of Beatles songs haven't aged particularly well. Those with the greatest input from George Harrison have weathered the years best IMO and that's probably the only Beatles tracks I'd actively seek out and listen to...

*goes off to listen to I, Me, Mine for the umpteenth time*

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My best mate saw them play at the Cavern from the start (when a spotty teenage Cilla worked in the cloakroom). I asked him once how many times; "20-30". That's quite something. He told me about the time he saw them in their new suits and with their new instruments, and how everyone realised they (locals with little cash) would probably never see them live again.

Oddly, the Beatles are far from my mate's favourite band, and he waxes lyrical about numerous other bands from the time (Little Richard playing a New Brighton, etc).

For me, in the 60s, I loved them, but I found them strangely overhyped, even as a 5-8 year old. I love my music (and listen to maybe 30 tracks a day on the train to and from work) but I have no Beatles on my iPod (I did, but I wiped it). As a 5-8 year old, the music that made me go 'wow' was:

Some crackers on there, matey.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Discovered their music mainly in the 70s, though do remember sitting in front of the radiogram in the 60s (it was top tech, kids) listening to She Loves You.
Sgt Pepper certainly in my top 10 albums by anybody, and Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road and the White Album aren't too far behind.
Pioneered popular music as we know it, and their songwriting was streets ahead. Loving all the '50 years ago today' stuff ...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Some great songs there, but 'You've lost that lovin' feeling' was The Righteous Brothers, not The Walker Brothers. You could chuck in 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore' though. Mr Engel may have got fed up with singing it, but it's one of many Gaudio & Crewe classics from the period.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

You usually do, especially after a dip in the wine lake :wrong:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No I wasn't joking, all the big acts came to Brighton in the 60's either at the Hippodrome or the Top Rank Suite or the Regent Ballroom (which is now Boots)

And each year there was a New Musical Express Award Winners concert at the Wembley Arena. Steve (my best friend at Hove Grammar) and I managed to get tickets for three or four years running and saw pretty well everyone who was anyone in pop music (Except Elvis, of course).

Great days to be young.

Minor pedantry but the Regent Ballroom (as The Big Apple) hosted many big acts in the 70's (including The Stones, T-Rex, Johnny Winter). And it was up the road a little from what is now Boots. I never knew that it was used in the 60's for concerts. Every day's a school day.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I loved the Beatles as a kid age 9 to about 14/15 to the point of obsession and for some reason just drifted away from their music mid teens. Dipped back in now and then, used their music to get the kids interested in music but it didn't have the same magical effect on me until now. I'm now 36 and have gone Beatles mad this year.

I can't get enough of them. Worked my way through every album and incarnation and the body of work is simply stunning for such a relatively short time frame.

I watched the latest film about the touring years two nights ago and was utterly blown away. Will there ever be another band like them? I just can't see how it could be possible now.

I like their music both pre and after 1966, their style completely changed. They manged to pull off one of the great deceptions of the 20th Century followig the death of Paul Mcartney in 1965, the new Paul (William Shephard aka Billy Shears) was two inches taller than Paul, played both left and right handed and procurred a hairstyle that managed to conceal his ears that were totally different to Pauls. I like all oft heir stuff, but evidnce of this deception is compelling and lengthy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here