Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

The Beatles

5 Not allowed!
    I loved the Beatles as a kid age 9 to about 14/15 to the point of obsession and for some reason just drifted away from their music mid teens. Dipped back in now and then, used their music to get the kids interested in music but it didn't have the same magical effect on me until now. I'm now 36 and have gone Beatles mad this year.

I can't get enough of them. Worked my way through every album and incarnation and the body of work is simply stunning for such a relatively short time frame.

I watched the latest film about the touring years two nights ago and was utterly blown away. Will there ever be another band like them? I just can't see how it could be possible now.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Grey bearded old man Cadiz Seagull's Avatar
      Between Bexhill and Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain

0 Not allowed!
      Saw them live a number of times, both at Wembley and in Brighton.

Best group ever (with the exception of Ben Nevis and the Summits )
      If history teaches us anything, it is that history teaches us nothing

0 Not allowed!
      I never really appreciated them at the time (the Stones were my band) and I never saw them live as a result but I have grown to really appreciate them over the years. They were songwriting geniuses but, and this is only an observation not a criticism, I suspect they relied enormously on George Martin for the arrangements of their songs which are nearly always the perfect complement to the songs themselves.
      برايتون حتى أموت

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cadiz Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Saw them live a number of times, both at Wembley and in Brighton.

Best group ever (with the exception of Ben Nevis and the Summits )
      If you aren't joking, what a lucky person.

I grew up in the 70's listening to their vinyls (and four-track cartridge in the family car), played by my Dad, plus the Christmas TV showings of their (mediocre) movies.

No other band created 30 or 40 amazing, varied tracks, which half the world adored. Lennon and McCartney were pop music geniuses, way ahead of their time. Lennon's vocals were unique and incredible.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      My best mate saw them play at the Cavern from the start (when a spotty teenage Cilla worked in the cloakroom). I asked him once how many times; "20-30". That's quite something. He told me about the time he saw them in their new suits and with their new instruments, and how everyone realised they (locals with little cash) would probably never see them live again.

Oddly, the Beatles are far from my mate's favourite band, and he waxes lyrical about numerous other bands from the time (Little Richard playing a New Brighton, etc).

For me, in the 60s, I loved them, but I found them strangely overhyped, even as a 5-8 year old. I love my music (and listen to maybe 30 tracks a day on the train to and from work) but I have no Beatles on my iPod (I did, but I wiped it). As a 5-8 year old, the music that made me go 'wow' was:

Telstar by the Tornados (the first record that blew me away)
      Shakin' all over by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates
      Kite by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound
      Break Away by the Beach boys
      Marrakesh Express by Crosby Stills and Nash
      Walk away Renee by the Four Tops
      You've lost that lovin feelin by the Walker Brothers
      Baby Come back by the Equals

Oh, I could go on . . .
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA
      It's only them that aren't their targets that love the violent and the madmen
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLijS6Cstk

2 Not allowed!
      My all time favourite band. I saw them at the Hippodrome in 63. They weren't even top of the bill, Helen Shapiro was.
      As a 14 year old, when Love Me Do got to 17 in the charts in Nov 62, I was hooked and have been ever since.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

0 Not allowed!
      Hooked since early 60s when they had two series of bubblegum cards out. I didn't get my first record until the please please me EP. I now have just about every conceivable piece of their music in my collection. Just love their stuff.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Alba Badger View Post
      I'm now 36 and have gone Beatles mad this year.
      Please go and see the Bootleg Beatles, they play the Brighton Centre every year, December this year. Its brilliant they really do the lads justice, this will be my third time this year.

I'd also recommend delving into the solo stuff too. All Things Must Pass, Ram, Plastic Ono Band etc etc

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by PoG View Post
      Please go and see the Bootleg Beatles, they play the Brighton Centre every year, December this year. Its brilliant they really do the lads justice, this will be my third time this year.

I'd also recommend delving into the solo stuff too. All Things Must Pass, Ram, Plastic Ono Band etc etc
      Agree 100% about the Bootleg Beatles - absolutely fabulous performances, including playing live a lot of songs the Beatles never did play live - A Day in the Life, for instance.
      Have to differ with you about the solo stuff, though. I have delved, and there are a few gems to be sure, but on the whole a load of awful c---! (IMHO, of course).
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      I actually have a tattoo in memory of my father (a big Beatles) fan. "And in the End, the Love You Take, is Equal to the Love You Make"... The final lyric to "The End Medley". We definitely bonded over The Beatles as father/son, and that band will always own the lion's share of my heart. No other artist, band... etc... could possibly take their place.

I've listened to so much Beatles music in my life, even all of the completely obscure stuff, countless times. So, at some points I drift away from them for a bit. However, I always make my way back to them. There's just something about their music that isn't from this world.

I don't think there will ever be another band like them, for quite a few reasons. The main ones not even having anything to do with their ability. Just certain things like the timing of them coming along, was perfect. Music is segregated far more into genre's now, and a band under a big label isn't really going to be allowed to mess with so many different types of music. You're kind of forced to have an identity, and keep on a one way street... at least when you're coming up. Once you've made it big, you can kind of do whatever the hell you want. But by then, for most bands... complacency kicks in. Which is when you see the decline in their work.

One of the most amazing things to me, is that they didn't burn out or decline in the midst of all of that fame sooner. Six-plus years operating in the climate they did, is like the equivalent of sixty years for any other band. It was pure chaos, and they just kept turning out brilliant album, after brilliant album.

Some of their solo stuff was quite good, but it was never the same. Wings had some good tunes, "All Things Must Pass" was a great album... In my opinion, John had the best and biggest impact with his solo work. However, many think I'm silly for saying that (he is my favorite Beatle, so I'm biased). Ringo, kind of just kept being Ringo.