Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Leadership' debate

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My local MP completely fired up tonight, and on brilliant form.
The debate is actually a piece of political theatre (although I'm running a tad behind time).
Beyond her poor communication skills, you can clearly see why Theresa May wanted no part of this, Amber 'Money Tree' Rudd has such a hard task here, and is actually doing as well as she could and is being combative, but is being torn to shreds, especially by Caroline.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Rudd didn't come out of it particularly well, but the audience was largely Momentum / Corbyn cheerleaders -not sure how the BBC managed to recruit them as a politically balanced group. Paul Nutall and Leanne Wood were the two weakest - both of them are embarrassingly poor really - Nutall is like a real life version of Pub Landlord, but less convincing. Corbyn did okay but looked as though he was over-compensating on the terrorism question because of the IRA-links. Farron is strangely unappealing - not sure whether it's the yokel accent or just a natural chippiness - but he seemed sharp and on the front foot.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Rudd didn't come out of it particularly well, but the audience was largely Momentum / Corbyn cheerleaders -not sure how the BBC managed to recruit them as a politically balanced group. Paul Nutall and Leanne Wood were the two weakest - both of them are embarrassingly poor really - Nutall is like a real life version of Pub Landlord, but less convincing. Corbyn did okay but looked as though he was over-compensating on the terrorism question because of the IRA-links. Farron is strangely unappealing - not sure whether it's the yokel accent or just a natural chippiness - but he seemed sharp and on the front foot.

The audience was specially selected by a polling company to be 'representative' of the country, in terms of:
-- political party support, and undecided voters
-- support for/against Brexit
Given that, why are you so convinced that the audience was largely Momentum/Corbyn cheerleaders?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Few swipes at each other don't like the way these debates are refereed we should be able to listen to whoever answering the question without snide remarks or being interrupted.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I don't believe debating skills should be viewed as the essential qualities for being the alpha chimp of the country. I'm not saying debates are pointless, but I do prefer the question and answer platform where there are no tedious interruptions from other debaters / audience members.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
See you in the General Election thread.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I don't believe debating skills should be viewed as the essential qualities for being the alpha chimp of the country. I'm not saying debates are pointless, but I do prefer the question and answer platform where there are no tedious interruptions from other debaters / audience members.

Agreed with this. Blair could talk the talk and make all the right noises but was totally useless and a to$$er of the highest order. IMO of course. On a 'debate' basis, he was the best for the job - but WTF has that go to do with running a country really?? As he proven.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
45% of the electorate still state that they are voting Tory, but the BBC were outsmarted yet again by Momentum minded supporters who dominated the audience. The BBC producers of these programmes have admitted in the recent past that it's impossible to police as people 'fib' when requesting tickets.

But ultimately decibels, interrupting and jeering have never swayed the non-decided. Those who started watching favouring a party, always support the very same party at the end.

Leaving the quiet tens of millions who don't tune into these bun fights, to make their private choice on June 8th.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Stick them all in a big mud bath and see who comes out cleanest, surely that'd be more fun... and fitting for the shit they ALL are?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
The audience was specially selected by a polling company to be 'representative' of the country, in terms of:
-- political party support, and undecided voters
-- support for/against Brexit
Given that, why are you so convinced that the audience was largely Momentum/Corbyn cheerleaders?

I would suggest that the answer to that was self-evident. Raucous applause and whooping for pretty much everything Jezza said (and to a lesser extent Caroline) and silence for Amber - not even a polite smattering of applause, which might be expected from the Tory voters in the room, had there been any. Have a look on Twitter - I'm far from the only one who thinks the audience recruitment went seriously wrong.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
More pantomime than theatre. Absolutely nothing more than mob induced hysteria at times - I really do not see the point of these head to heads, 1 to 1 interviews from a decent pundit are more telling eg Andrew Neil. Half the time it's student tossers who feel they have the right to show disrespect and utter contempt towards our leaders in 'their 5mins of fame'. Embarrassing and I wouldn't waste my time watching given past 'debates'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Respect due to Amber Rudd for stepping up to the debate despite the death of her dad earlier in the week.

I didn't know this, but thought she gave as good enough show as she could in the circumstances, and showed some courage.
And, like you (I think), I'm no fan of her politics.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I would suggest that the answer to that was self-evident. Raucous applause and whooping for pretty much everything Jezza said (and to a lesser extent Caroline) and silence for Amber - not even a polite smattering of applause, which might be expected from the Tory voters in the room, had there been any. Have a look on Twitter - I'm far from the only one who thinks the audience recruitment went seriously wrong.

Paul Nuttall got more applause than Amber Rudd.
What does that say?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not that I care but the Rudd woman was sent into the wolves den by her bottling leader.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

There are other explanations, which I don't need to offer, but will do if you can explain what evidence you have for your position. The BBC is publicly funded and made a clear claim that the audience is/was 'representative'. I trust the BBC on this, you quite clearly don't (and probably have a problem with trust in general), but I'm more interested in hearing why you don't trust the BBC.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There are other explanations, which I don't need to offer, but will do if you can explain what evidence you have for your position. The BBC is publicly funded and made a clear claim that the audience is/was 'representative'. I trust the BBC on this, you quite clearly don't (and probably have a problem with trust in general), but I'm more interested in hearing why you don't trust the BBC.

I trust the BBC, they've been showing Eastenders unbroken for 30 years without any sign of getting the shit off the tellybox :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here