Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou pledges to give half of £2bn fortune to charity

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"The easyJet founder, Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, has promised to give more than half of his £2bn fortune to charity after he was “inspired” by the world’s richest man, the Microsoft billionaire and philanthropist Bill Gates.

Haji-Ioannou said he had signed up to the Giving Pledge, an organisation founded by Gates and fellow billionaire Warren Buffett, which asks the world’s wealthiest people to give away the majority of their money.

The Cypriot-born magnate, who has stamped his orange-hued “easy” brand on everything from aeroplanes to cut-price convenience stores, was estimated to be worth £1.95bn in the latest Sunday Times rich list. He is expected to give away about £1bn of that, some of it in cash during his lifetime and the remainder by selling assets through the terms of his will."

Great man, worth a mention

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Affordable aviation............crazy stuff we had before Brexit.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"The easyJet founder, Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, has promised to give more than half of his £2bn fortune to charity after he was “inspired” by the world’s richest man, the Microsoft billionaire and philanthropist Bill Gates.

Haji-Ioannou said he had signed up to the Giving Pledge, an organisation founded by Gates and fellow billionaire Warren Buffett, which asks the world’s wealthiest people to give away the majority of their money.

The Cypriot-born magnate, who has stamped his orange-hued “easy” brand on everything from aeroplanes to cut-price convenience stores, was estimated to be worth £1.95bn in the latest Sunday Times rich list. He is expected to give away about £1bn of that, some of it in cash during his lifetime and the remainder by selling assets through the terms of his will."

Great man, worth a mention

:thumbsup:

Under no obligation to give any away.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Affordable aviation............crazy stuff we had before Brexit.
Yes, a real shame there's been no cut price airlines running since last June - or was it when we triggered Article 50 that it all came to a sudden halt? Please remind me - I can't quite remember...................

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Indeed good of him to so do.......Although if Corbyn has his way there will be no Billionaires to create jobs and leave legacy to anyone!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great gesture, good thing his Dad a shipping magnate gave him the money to start Easyjet

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes, a real shame there's been no cut price airlines running since last June - or was it when we triggered Article 50 that it all came to a sudden halt? Please remind me - I can't quite remember...................

Wait until after 2019? Perhaps you could explain to me how IAG PLC will exist after then?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed good of him to so do.......Although if Corbyn has his way there will be no Billionaires to create jobs and leave legacy to anyone!!!

Calm down dear, he won't be picking on you.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Good on him. If more of the world's billionaire's took this approach it could seriously help to end some of the most disgraceful situations that people in need face all around the world. Let's face it, when you get into the billions neither you or your kids can spend that kind of money so why not leave a legacy that will help millions.

Good on him, if we can all stop trying to score political points off each other to applaud a genuinely selfless act I think that would be nice.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Wait until after 2019? Perhaps you could explain to me how IAG PLC will exist after then?

This sounds interesting?

Presumably similar multiple listed entities such as Shell and Unilever are also at risk of collapse too?

Perhaps you could explain just how this will play out to the class in more detail?

I'm all ears........

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Cost of my return flight to Malaga this week £76.00 with you guessed it Easy Jet, I suppose your moaning that you can't fly for £9.99 anymore?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here