Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chased for a 7 year old fine - advice please

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I have received a letter chasing me for £150 from the HM Courts and Tribunals Historic Debt Team for a debt registered with the court back on 2009.

Apparently it relates to failure to notify the DVLA of the disposal of a vehicle back then.

I have never received any contact regarding this until now. No idea if £150 is the original fine or if it has increased without me being aware of what was going on.

What are my options, other than just paying?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is it legit? How are they asking you to pay?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Is it legit? How are they asking you to pay?

Appears to be. I did own the car they are referencing and a google search suggest as much. Severalpayment methods provided including card / bank transfer etc.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Contact them directly and ask for the details on it.

I missed a couple of vehicle tax payments (they were £12 each). A combination of lost documents and ridiculous admin on their behalf. when it came through they had whacked a load of charges on taking it to £100. I argued that I was willing to pay the full amount owed and a nominal admin fee but not the charges as they were out of proportion to the initial debt which went against FSA guidelines. I found about 10 items that I felt were incorrect or had not followed various guidelines and in the end they just told me the matter was closed and not to even worry about the initial money (which I was still willing to pay)

First thing I would do is contact them on the number from their website (to ensure it is legit) and then ask for a full breakdown of costs, has it gone to debt collection? Have reasonable efforts been made to contact you? Find all of that and then see. You have probably updated your details with them and they have refused to do anything other than send a letter to the address from 7 years ago as it would involve having to look on their system and that would take at least 2 minutes ...

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Contact them directly and ask for the details on it.

I missed a couple of vehicle tax payments (they were £12 each). A combination of lost documents and ridiculous admin on their behalf. when it came through they had whacked a load of charges on taking it to £100. I argued that I was willing to pay the full amount owed and a nominal admin fee but not the charges as they were out of proportion to the initial debt which went against FSA guidelines. I found about 10 items that I felt were incorrect or had not followed various guidelines and in the end they just told me the matter was closed and not to even worry about the initial money (which I was still willing to pay)

First thing I would do is contact them on the number from their website (to ensure it is legit) and then ask for a full breakdown of costs, has it gone to debt collection? Have reasonable efforts been made to contact you? Find all of that and then see. You have probably updated your details with them and they have refused to do anything other than send a letter to the address from 7 years ago as it would involve having to look on their system and that would take at least 2 minutes ...

Thanks - useful.

I am planning on calling them, but want to have as much knowledge on my side as possible before I do.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Have you been chased previously, ever made contact with the company that you owe money to? If the answer is no, it is likely to be time barred (over six years' old)
More information can be found here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW...or-recovering-debts/statute-barred-debt.aspx#

Thats interesting and I thought the same but it raises the question about whether this is a criminal or civil fine? I assume they are classing it as a criminal fine which I understand isnt subject to the limitations, but I can't see anywhere online that states that failure to notify the DVLA is a criminal offence....

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Thats interesting and I thought the same but it raises the question about whether this is a criminal or civil fine? I assume they are classing it as a criminal fine which I understand isnt subject to the limitations, but I can't see anywhere online that states that failure to notify the DVLA is a criminal offence....

Think you must assume it is a criminal offence.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
So - quick update.

I have spoken to the court and as I was unaware of the original case against me, I have arrange to make a statutory deceleration to that effect to nullify the original judgement.

It will then be up to the DVLA to decide if they wish to proceed with the case again, and I will then have a chance to enter a plee.

Thanks for the help

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So - quick update.

I have spoken to the court and as I was unaware of the original case against me, I have arrange to make a statutory deceleration to that effect to nullify the original judgement.

It will then be up to the DVLA to decide if they wish to proceed with the case again, and I will then have a chance to enter a plee.

Thanks for the help

That's good news. The worrying thing is that it's probably cost them more than they are asking for to chase you ( and chase you badly ! ).

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
So - quick update.

Thanks for the help

Glad to hear that. DVLA are a pain in the arse with things like this so I wouldn't assume an easy ride. I ended up going directly to their CEOs office (complaints team are probably sat next to each other) and the excuses for not getting back to me ranged from the complaint handler being knocked off his motorbike through to no complaint being logged/me lying about ever contacting them.

Use ceoemail.com for the details. Keep us updated as many on here will be able to help you either avoid paying it or at least ensure that you pay what you owe and nothing more

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Glad to hear that. DVLA are a pain in the arse with things like this so I wouldn't assume an easy ride. I ended up going directly to their CEOs office (complaints team are probably sat next to each other) and the excuses for not getting back to me ranged from the complaint handler being knocked off his motorbike through to no complaint being logged/me lying about ever contacting them.

Use ceoemail.com for the details. Keep us updated as many on here will be able to help you either avoid paying it or at least ensure that you pay what you owe and nothing more

Will do - cheers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here