Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genoa and Turin

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Will be having a couple of days in each of these Italian cities shortly.

Any suggestions as to what to visit, interesting bars or restaurants etc.?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Not been to Genoa, but I've been to Turin. The first place I sought out was the shooting locations of 'The Italian Job'. Good fun, that. :)

Yes, I forgot that connection. Did you see the Turin Shroud? I know it causes controversy but may be interesting to check out.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
In Turin there's the old Fiat factory at Lingotto with its test track, plus the largest Egyptian museum outside of Egypt.
There's also the Mole Antonella, where the shroud is/used to be kept, with great views from the top, and the Superga, which was the mountain that the Juventus team crashed into.
There's a good cinema museum as well.

Lots of cafe shops - Turin is the capital of chocolate so try bicerin (really thick hot chocolate) and gianduja chocolates.

There isn't a big drinking culture but there are a few Irish pubs which are good for a drink.

Try to stay in between the central station and Via Po / Via Roma, then everything will be within walking distance.

Re eating out - Del Cambio is a great restaurant.
Or sit out in the piazza at Da Michele's in piazza Vittoria Veneto, where the speciality is farinata, a kind of chick-pea batter which is delicious.
Also there are ice-cream places on via Po and via Roma.
Via Lagrange is good to walk down for small shops, foodie shops and the only department store in town, La Rinascente.

Turin is on the intersection of several ley lines so there is a lot of black magic goes on there. Shouldn't be a problem but I would avoid the lock-up rooms along the river bank after dark.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to Genoa 13 years ago -- on a fantastic city-hopping break, we also went to Bologna (do go if you haven't), Florence and Milan, using their excellent rail service. My memory is sketchy, but I remember the Sea Life Centre, and also walking along the vertiginous alleyways. There was a delightful little espresso bar too, which sold a double for about 60 cents, but also served really good cream and fruit/nut coffee-based drinks.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Turin tends to close down in the afternoon at this time of year and whilst being more interesting than Milan is not one to get your hopes really fired up. Now Florence or (my fave) Bologna on the other hand are quite superb. I was in Bologna two weeks back and absolutely loved it. Food great (and good value), drink great (and good value) and architecture to die for......

Not that far from Turin either.....

TNBA

TTF

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Turin tends to close down in the afternoon at this time of year and whilst being more interesting than Milan is not one to get your hopes really fired up. Now Florence or (my fave) Bologna on the other hand are quite superb. I was in Bologna two weeks back and absolutely loved it. Food great (and good value), drink great (and good value) and architecture to die for......

TNBA

TTF

I'll go with Bologna as well. The architecture which I think is why I spend most of my holidays in Italy is just amazing. So many of the streets contain the most incredible porticos making it a stunning city to look at. The nightlife is great as well. They even have a Brewdog bar there.
Going to Verona next month but will be back in Bologna pretty soon after.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for all your tips, some great ideas there.
We are actually Interrailing (first class) so we have already arranged our route so that hotels could be booked.
From Brighton we go to Paris, Provence, Riviera, Italy, Zermatt in Switzerland, Bern then back to Paris and Brighton. A 3 week trip and looking forward to it immensely.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

TNBA

TTF

Not been to Bologna, but have been to Florence - a stunning city. But I'll see that, and raise you Siena. Wonderful. I somehow suspect [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] may well concur...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We are actually Interrailing (first class) so we have already arranged our route so that hotels could be booked.
From Brighton we go to Paris, Provence, Riviera, Italy, Zermatt in Switzerland, Bern then back to Paris and Brighton. A 3 week trip and looking forward to it immensely.

Sounds fabulous. Enjoy yourselves... :thumbsup:

May just be me, but when I think of Riviera, Monte Carlo, Switzerland etc., I think of flash sports cars, flares, laydees, big effeminate hairdos on the men, hairy chests and medallions, some secret international crime-fighting organisation - and a superb theme tune...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

My wife works for Trenitalia, the Italian domestic train company. I have travelled several times on trains in Italy, they are reliable, fast, and comfortable, and so cheap when compared to travelling by train in this country. I envy you your trip.

Not been to Bologna, but have been to Florence - a stunning city. But I'll see that, and raise you Siena. Wonderful. I somehow suspect [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION] may well concur...

Indeed. My advice about Italian cities is always the same. Visit and then stay longer than you might think sensible. They all repay getting to know them better.

Especially Siena, Florence and Bologna.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Indeed. My advice about Italian cities is always the same. Visit and then stay longer than you might think sensible. They all repay getting to know them better.

Especially Siena, Florence and Bologna.

Yep, really love Siena and Florence, not been to Bologna, must try sometime.

Like Italy a lot but strangely was disappointed with Sicily.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yep, really love Siena and Florence, not been to Bologna, must try sometime.

Like Italy a lot but strangely was disappointed with Sicily.

Done two Sicilian trips (West then East side of the Island) and enjoyed both - went with Mrs J's Arts Group so maybe we did some different places? NB did both trips in May - I don't think July/August would be as pleasant heat wise. A bit special as my Grandad went through there on his way to Salerno.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here