Harveys Brewery defies the market to increase turnover

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
putting up prices? (notes production volumes down at the end)

Harveys for years know they charge more for their products than others due to customer loyalty. Many local landlords would chuck it out given the chance but know it will p1ss off customers. Harveys have landlords over a barrel in that regard.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Err..

The historic business reported turnover of £20.9m for the year to 31 December 2016, newly filed accounts at Companies House have shown, up from £19.9m a year earlier.

Pre-tax profits fell slightly to £2.05m from £2.12m.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Harveys for years know they charge more for their products than others due to customer loyalty. Many local landlords would chuck it out given the chance but know it will p1ss off customers. Harveys have landlords over a barrel in that regard.

How awful for them having to sell what their customers want

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Harveys do seem to have invested in new beers recently expanding their range into more american style craft territory. Could be the reason for the reduced profit as they introduce new products, though to be honest that variance on net profit is hardly significant.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Harveys for years know they charge more for their products than others due to customer loyalty.

Not so sure about that. I paid £3.60 for the pint of Harvey's I had on Saturday night - that's not a lot more than other breweries charge - seems pretty average for a Brighton pint.

The Argus ran a survey two years ago that said the average pint was £3.40 (about £3.56 in real terms). Does a couple of pence make that big a difference?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Not so sure about that. I paid £3.60 for the pint of Harvey's I had on Saturday night - that's not a lot more than other breweries charge - seems pretty average for a Brighton pint.

The Argus ran a survey two years ago that said the average pint was £3.40 (about £3.56 in real terms). Does a couple of pence make that big a difference?

That is what the pub charges not what the Harvey's brewery charges for that pint. A cask of Harvey's Best is nearly 50% more expensive than Longman Best (and many other local equivalents). That is why many landlords in Brighton have dropped Harvey's.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That is what the pub charges not what the Harvey's brewery charges for that pint. A cask of Harvey's Best is nearly 50% more expensive than Longman Best (and many other local equivalents). That is why many landlords in Brighton have dropped Harvey's.

you may find thats because Long Man pays a lot less duty as a small brewery?

but those beers from smaller breweries still cost the same last time i was in the pub, so they would like the cheaper supplier. I note Wetherspoons manage to do it cheaper than rest of the industry, £2.45 for Long Man something and Darkstar Hophead.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
you may find thats because Longman pays a lot less duty as a small brewery?

but those beers from smaller breweries still cost the same last time i was in the pub, so they would like the cheaper supplier. I note Wetherspoons manage to do it cheaper than rest of the industry, £2.45 for Longman something and Darkstar Hophead.

Nothing to do with Duty, Harvey's may pay slightly more duty on their products than Long Man because they are a larger brewery (but still pretty small in the grand scheme of things) but not enough to account for a 50% price hike. Last time I looked at prices for various Sussex breweries Harvey's was the most expensive by a considerable margin. Harvey's Best is the most expensive 4.0% Best Bitter on the market, as far as I know. Many of it's direct competitors London Pride, Adnams Southwold; Young's Best and Doom Bar are considerably cheaper. Landlords cannot get away with just charging £5 a pint for Harvey's though.

As to Wetherspoons that is simple economies of scale. They will buy an entire months worth of production off those smaller breweries. Why is Wetherspoons cheaper than a standard pub? Why is Tesco cheaper than your local corner shop?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
They make it extraordinarily difficult to buy Harveys to take home. Very few stockists that I have found - Middle Farm of all places (which is eyewateringly expensive), or their own shop in Lewes (ditto). I assume that is because they refuse to discount to a level that supermarkets require?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Harveys have always wanted to and remained in the small brewer bracket as regards duty by choice. They could produce more if they wished but I was told by Miles Jenner that they do not wish to. Hence they never give discount on their products irrespective of how much you buy. At least that is as was but not sure if this has changed at all.

They make it extraordinarily difficult to buy Harveys to take home. Very few stockists that I have found - Middle Farm of all places (which is eyewateringly expensive), or their own shop in Lewes (ditto). I assume that is because they refuse to discount to a level that supermarkets require?
Noble Wines in Uckfield also sell it from the barrel into containers. Works out very good value if you buy in this manner and you usually end up with a very generous four pints.

Far cheaper than pub price if you have invested in a container.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
As to Wetherspoons that is simple economies of scale. They will buy an entire months worth of production off those smaller breweries. Why is Wetherspoons cheaper than a standard pub? Why is Tesco cheaper than your local corner shop?

'Spoons aren't buying a month of supply or any sort of bulk as far as i can tell. generally the real ales seem to be a few nationally known like Ruddles or Brains alongside local like Long Man or Southwark Brewing (in London). and seem to be when its done its replaced with another beer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing to do with Duty, Harvey's may pay slightly more duty on their products than Long Man because they are a larger brewery (but still pretty small in the grand scheme of things) but not enough to account for a 50% price hike. Last time I looked at prices for various Sussex breweries Harvey's was the most expensive by a considerable margin. Harvey's Best is the most expensive 4.0% Best Bitter on the market, as far as I know. Many of it's direct competitors London Pride, Adnams Southwold; Young's Best and Doom Bar are considerably cheaper. Landlords cannot get away with just charging £5 a pint for Harvey's though.

Is Harvey's worth the premium though?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Their 4.5 gallon containers are good value if you've got people round (or drink a lot). Best works out at not much over £2 a pint, home delivery too. I've used home delivery loads for mixed cases of their bottled beer too.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

btw theres a wine merchant in Hailsham that sells most the range, along with many other locals. £2.10 for Old, £2.40 for Armada, £2.60 for Tom Paine iirc. give Tescos is now £1.80-2 for ales, not too bad (avoiding the Tom Paine, priced to %abv). theres a bottle deposit as well, 10p?, which is overlooked (same applies to their Lewes shop).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here