Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NBR - Thunderstorm TV advice

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Following the storm last night, I remember that during storms we used to unplug TV's. I never knew if that was in case the roof top aerial was struck by lightening or the possibility of a power surge.

The question is, with all the modern fail safe systems, should I still be doing that?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I was always told to leave it plugged in, otherwise you have a bolt of lightning looking to earth down to something else?:shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless you live on top of a prominent hill I reckon it makes next to no difference - chances of being hit are really, really tiny anyway. There is an argument (can google it) to suggest leaving the TV aerial plugged in a good thing, as if the tiny chance of your house being hit happens to occur, you'll end up with only a fried TV and not a fried house as the TV will absorb the charge. I dunno though, I'm not scientist........more of a fatalist.

Mate of mine's house in Burgess Hill was hit a few years ago. Big hole in the roof, ground floor ceilings fell in and the house needed completely rewiring. Every appliance was fooked.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unplugging from mains will only protect from a surge, not a strike to the aerial. for that you'll need to unplug the aerial too. likelihood of a aerial strike is far far lower than the local power grid catching a strike, though thats tiny chance, and somthing should trip and you'll have a power cut. in this case be more concerned with computers getting upset by instant shutdown, so may be good idea to power off when a lightning storm is very local.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unless you live on top of a prominent hill I reckon it makes next to no difference - chances of being hit are really, really tiny anyway. There is an argument (can google it) to suggest leaving the TV aerial plugged in a good thing, as if the tiny chance of your house being hit happens to occur, you'll end up with only a fried TV and not a fried house as the TV will absorb the charge. I dunno though, I'm not scientist........more of a fatalist.

Mate of mine's house in Burgess Hill was hit a few years ago. Big hole in the roof, ground floor ceilings fell in and the house needed completely rewiring. Every appliance was fooked.

I saw a lightning strike hit a house in Culpepper. Struck the aerial and blew a hole in the roof. Luckily no one home but the dogs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here