Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn's "flexible football ticket"

Lush

Mods' Pet
In the Indy: "Jeremy Corbyn ... announces a new Labour policy of a “flexible football ticket” to stop travelling fans losing money on pre-booked train tickets when their match is rescheduled for TV at short notice."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what a loverly idea. what about flexiable tickets to all other event that maybe delayed or cancelled?

and shirley under the nationalised railway, there wouldnt be all those supersaver deals that require you to book so far in advance?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
In the Indy: "Jeremy Corbyn ... announces a new Labour policy of a “flexible football ticket” to stop travelling fans losing money on pre-booked train tickets when their match is rescheduled for TV at short notice."

Or the railways sneakily add a quid to the price of a ticket, include cancellation insurance for 'free', and market it as a new perk to thank the travelling fans for their loyalty?

Or, do what I do... Go to Trainline, get it miles cheaper than rocking up at the station, click the cancellation insurance box, and have no further worries.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I believe a football finance expert was on Radio 4 discussing Corbyn's plan to force the Premier League to give 5% of its TV money to grassroots football, and he said that it seemed harsh on a small club such as Crystal Palace to be expected to contribute towards park football when central and local government funding had been slashed for a number of years.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Governements getting involved in private business is something I don't agree with in the slightest. I'd rather they spend there time elsewhere. This just sounds like populism.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Governements getting involved in private business is something I don't agree with in the slightest. I'd rather they spend there time elsewhere. This just sounds like populism.

Absolutely that.

I've always said : "Politics is a Career - and so is Business"

Politicians have almost always been crap at business. Businessmen have almost always been crap at Politics. Oil and Water. Two very, very different things...

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I didn't even give credence to the fact that he alluded to putting 40 litres of oil in his car at BP.... I assume he's got a sump the size of Michelle McManus's arse, or he meant petrol / diesel.

Anyway. Who cares. It's Sunday.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Absolutely that.

I've always said : "Politics is a Career - and so is Business"

Politicians have almost always been crap at business. Businessmen have almost always been crap at Politics. Oil and Water. Two very, very different things...

People often complain that politicians have never had a 'real' job. I am assuming you are not one of them. Personally, I would like politicians to have had many different careers as an aid to understanding how economics can work.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Old Corbo says a lot of 'pie in the sky' fantasy things.

But at least he's throwing out new (or in this case, re-hashed) ideas rather than just repeating "strong and stable" vs "coalition of chaos" and flip-flopping until she falls over.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I believe a football finance expert was on Radio 4 discussing Corbyn's plan to force the Premier League to give 5% of its TV money to grassroots football, and he said that it seemed harsh on a small club such as Crystal Palace to be expected to contribute towards park football when central and local government funding had been slashed for a number of years.

Do you know how much do the PL currently filter down?

I read somewhere 30 million? Which does seem a lot....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Corbyn might have a point with a club in her patch, Arsenal. The most expensive football club to watch on the planet, who've priced out their modestly paid or unemployed fans from Highbury.

Otherwise a typically centralist sledge-hammer-to-crack-a-nut.

Clubs such as Brighton, Burnley, Stoke and WBA are not expensive to watch. Brighton have some great deals during the season if you're not fussy on seat location.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

A quick Google tells me that the 'private business' to which you refer received £4.8 billion in public subsidies in 2015/16.

http://www.orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/22982/rail-finance-statistical-release-2015-16.pdf

Given that they spent £200 million of the £4 billion they received the previous year on paying dividends to their shareholders, I would quite like our elected officials to subject the public service element of their business to some kind of scrutiny. This idea seems like fair good sense and I would be saying that wherever the idea came from.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/16/rail-operators-200m-dividends-subsidy

In general the argument that governments should not get involved in business is an ideological one that doesn't stand up in the real world. The line between public and private has always been blurred and 'government keep out' is a cry that is heard only when business is being asked to hand money to the public purse and never when it is the other way around.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here