Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When do you become good enough?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Goalkeepers get better with age and Walton still has a long way to go before he'll be ready to fight for the goalkeeper position here. In the season coming, we need a goalkeeper that is experienced and that has a wise head on him.

Both Pickford and Butland had a lot of playing time with other clubs before they were fully ready to establish themselves at their home club and a season long loan at a Championship club would probably be the best thing for Waltons development.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
At 21 Christian Walton is still developing, and nowhere near ready to play in the Premier League. The club are doing exactly the right thing, in sending him out on loan deals to clubs further down the league, to give him experience, and more game time.

If he continues to develop as well as he has been, then his time will come.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Goalkeepers get better with age and Walton still has a long way to go before he'll be ready to fight for the goalkeeper position here. In the season coming, we need a goalkeeper that is experienced and that has a wise head on him.

Both Pickford and Butland had a lot of playing time with other clubs before they were fully ready to establish themselves at their home club and a season long loan at a Championship club would probably be the best thing for Waltons development.

At 21 Christian Walton is still developing, and nowhere near ready to play in the Premier League. The club are doing exactly the right thing, in sending him out on loan deals to clubs further down the league, to give him experience, and more game time.

If he continues to develop as well as he has been, then his time will come.

Good points, well made, however there still has to be a point when you go for it. Whether Prem (Div 1) or League 2 (Div 4), you have to know when it is time to blood a newbie. We have no idea, he could be a sensation in the Prem, but unless he gets the chance we'll end up buying someone with a good name instead of trying these lads out.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He needs a season long loan in the Championship and then he'll be ready for us whatever league we're in. Joe Hart needed a season with Birmingham, in the Premier League, before being considered good enough for Man City. Walton will be a Premier League goalkeeper but he's not got the experience yet and sitting on our bench for a season won't help him as much as playing 40+ games in the Championship.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good points, well made, however there still has to be a point when you go for it. Whether Prem (Div 1) or League 2 (Div 4), you have to know when it is time to blood a newbie. We have no idea, he could be a sensation in the Prem, but unless he gets the chance we'll end up buying someone with a good name instead of trying these lads out.

Also true. But I think that 21 is just too young, especially having had very little Football League experience to his name. A few mistakes leading to heavy defeats, could quite literally ruin his career. Bring him through nice and slowly, and then next season, who knows?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Also true. But I think that 21 is just too young, especially having had very little Football League experience to his name. A few mistakes leading to heavy defeats, could quite literally ruin his career. Bring him through nice and slowly, and then next season, who knows?

The way I see it, ok, just an opinion, is that blood a youngster in the Prem and he'll only ever know the Prem. He may step up and say, shit this is easy. I do agree he could do a season in the Championship, but I am finding us Brighton supporters getting heavily defensive on our options for next season, and I totally understand that. But I think we should be showing a little cavalier attitude too. Not in all positions, but for me, the keeper situation is crying out for someone like Walton. I'll happily take crap from people if proved wrong.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
The club will do the right thing regarding Walton's development I'm sure.

I just hope that we don't lose him as he is a genuine prospect for the first team at some point.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The club will do the right thing regarding Walton's development I'm sure.

I just hope that we don't lose him as he is a genuine prospect for the first team at some point.

Elphick, Barry and a couple of others come to mind that we let slip through our fingers. However, being in the higher echelons of pro football and having the best facilities makes me think we'll keep them now, in a Southampton type way (what we should aspire too).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/christian-walton-brighton-hove-albion-southend-united-3725849.aspx

Surely there comes a time in a clubs life when they have to be brave enough to take a decision?
Good question. Other posts have convinced me that we're doing the right things with Walton (not that I took much convincing - I was already of that opinion anyway), but in terms of youngsters generally, I do wonder sometimes.
Watched a bit of the Europa League final the other night - there were at least two teenagers playing in that! Sometimes I wonder if our policy about when a youngster is ready, the answer is along the lines of, 'Not a day before you're 23, son!' Yes, and before some jumps down my throat yelling JFC and March, yes, I do remember them. And no way am I suggesting we should try our first season in the PL with a load of kids with no experience, but I really would like to see a DS member on the bench occasionally, even if just to get ten minutes experience if we're three nil up (or potentially three nil down on some occasions next season, possibly).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Elphick, Barry and a couple of others come to mind that we let slip through our fingers. However, being in the higher echelons of pro football and having the best facilities makes me think we'll keep them now, in a Southampton type way (what we should aspire too).

In the case of Tommy Elphick, we did the right thing in letting him go, as at the time we were well served by some very good central defenders. Ok so he has ended up having had a few seasons in the Premier League, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. All we could do was what seemed right at the time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Good question. Other posts have convinced me that we're doing the right things with Walton (not that I took much convincing - I was already of that opinion anyway), but in terms of youngsters generally, I do wonder sometimes.
Watched a bit of the Europa League final the other night - there were at least two teenagers playing in that! Sometimes I wonder if our policy about when a youngster is ready, the answer is along the lines of, 'Not a day before you're 23, son!' Yes, and before some jumps down my throat yelling JFC and March, yes, I do remember them. And no way am I suggesting we should try our first season in the PL with a load of kids with no experience, but I really would like to see a DS member on the bench occasionally, even if just to get ten minutes experience if we're three nil up (or potentially three nil down on some occasions next season, possibly).

Alan Hansen;

You can't win anything with kids

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Goalkeeper is a unique position and one where blooding youngsters needs to differ from outfield players.

I don't think you can play a goalkeeper for a game here or there due to the understanding that needs tobe in place with the back 4. Also he cant come on as a sub with 10 mins to go.

Therefore a loan with guaranteed starting games is the way to go.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Goalkeeper is a unique position and one where blooding youngsters needs to differ from outfield players.

I don't think you can play a goalkeeper for a game here or there due to the understanding that needs tobe in place with the back 4. Also he cant come on as a sub with 10 mins to go.

Therefore a loan with guaranteed starting games is the way to go.

Yes, it takes longer for goalkeepers to develop than outfield players, and as you say, blooding them can be difficult. Plus goalkeepers generally don't come to their fore until later, with many not reaching their peak until their early 30's.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes, it takes longer for goalkeepers to develop than outfield players, and as you say, blooding them can be difficult. Plus goalkeepers generally don't come to their fore until later, with many not reaching their peak until their early 30's.

But you still have too, eventually, give them their moment on the stage? If they don't do it you sell to their level, brutal but true.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Does age really make a difference? Old enough, good enough?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Does age really make a difference? Old enough, good enough?

It's as much about experience as age l think, and I question whether Walton has enough senior games under his belt yet. By giving him that that experience it gives him the best possible chance to make the grade at the highest level possible, and I trust the club to do that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here