Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Riga - NSC Recommendations?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As NSC clearly knows everything about everything thought I would ask about this.

Mrs Jakarta has been undergoing cancer treatment for the last 9 months - now thankfully coming towards the end and we could both do with a break.

One of my Clients employs a Latvian lady who has talked me into going to Riga (with Mrs J - not her!)

Anyone been there and can recommend Hotels, Restaurants, places to visit etc.???

And yes I know there are lots of travel websites I can access but perhaps foolishly I am trusting in the wisdom of you lot. :lolol:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hope Mrs J's treatment has gone well, I went on a stag so clearly there were different priorities, but found the place really friendly.
A lot of nicely priced bars and restaurants. Hope you have great time ��

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The centre of old Riga is quite pretty, with architecture being the principle attraction. Walking around in a leisurely way is what we did on our long weekend. Food is heavily Russian-influenced, as you'd expect. Our favourite restaurant was Folkklubs ala Pagrabs. Decent beer, huge (1kg) pork hock, live music, quite buzzy. Riga is cheap, and the people friendly. Our hotel wasn't up to much, so won't recommend that...

Have fun, and glad that Mrs K is on the mend.

Jan 31, 2009
I've been living in Riga for nearly 5 years now. Hopefully, some of these tips may be useful. Hotels-Radisson Elizabetes (good spot, reasonable price, best quality Radisson in town); Alberts hotel is an alternative. Restaurants-high-end has to be Vincents (Michelin class, famous owner who works there every day, special occasion place); Egle is a large outdoor bar in old town that has a good selection of beers and decent gastro-pub style food; go to SkyBar at Radisson Latvija for a cocktail and a great view of the city. Kalnciems market on a Saturday is a nice spot for gifts and snacks. Central Market is worth a look. There is a little very casual fish restaurant in there which has tasty food. Take a walk along the river in Kipsala which is just across the Vanta bridge. Jurmula which is about 20mins from Riga and is definitely worth a look -some stunning properties and a great beach just through a pine forest. For museums, national gallery and Riga bourse. There is a large Art Noveau district which is good for a stroll if you like architecture. There is Sienna cafe which has great cakes and Riga Art Noveau museum which are both near Alberta iela.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Go to Poland instead Much more to see and Krakow is a beautiful city steeped in history

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I love the city and like the people. The city was like stepping back in time but I was last there more than 10 years ago

Lots of drunks drinking on street corners though. And that was long before the Stag Doos even started going there. There is a fabulous Museum which depicts Latvians during a lot of the recent Wars in the 20th Century. It was a real eye opener for me to learn the part they played in the 2nd World War and that about 55,000 Latvian Soldiers actually fought alongside Nazi Germany.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I've been living in Riga for nearly 5 years now. Hopefully, some of these tips may be useful. Hotels-Radisson Elizabetes (good spot, reasonable price, best quality Radisson in town); Alberts hotel is an alternative. Restaurants-high-end has to be Vincents (Michelin class, famous owner who works there every day, special occasion place); Egle is a large outdoor bar in old town that has a good selection of beers and decent gastro-pub style food; go to SkyBar at Radisson Latvija for a cocktail and a great view of the city. Kalnciems market on a Saturday is a nice spot for gifts and snacks. Central Market is worth a look. There is a little very casual fish restaurant in there which has tasty food. Take a walk along the river in Kipsala which is just across the Vanta bridge. Jurmula which is about 20mins from Riga and is definitely worth a look -some stunning properties and a great beach just through a pine forest. For museums, national gallery and Riga bourse. There is a large Art Noveau district which is good for a stroll if you like architecture. There is Sienna cafe which has great cakes and Riga Art Noveau museum which are both near Alberta iela.

Thanks very much - that's all good stuff, just as matter of interest what are you doing in Latvia?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I love the city and like the people. The city was like stepping back in time but I was last there more than 10 years ago

Lots of drunks drinking on street corners though. And that was long before the Stag Doos even started going there. There is a fabulous Museum which depicts Latvians during a lot of the recent Wars in the 20th Century. It was a real eye opener for me to learn the part they played in the 2nd World War and that about 55,000 Latvian Soldiers actually fought alongside Nazi Germany.

A lot of nationalities fought alongside the Wehrmacht, I'm pretty certain in the case of the Baltic States it was to keep the Russians out (which backfired somewhat). Looking forward to it in any case, not a part of the world that I have been to hitherto.

Jan 31, 2009
Bit of a long story. I'm working for an international company and got the opportunity to transfer to Tallinn from Budapest back in 2004. I met my and then later married my Latvian wife in 2008 and moved onto Riga keeping the same job as it covers all 3 Baltic countries. Depending on when you are coming to Riga and also your music tastes, there are a couple of good concerts coming up in Riga that could be worth going to - Foo Fighters on 21st June and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers on 27th July. Tickets are still available for both.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia

My grandfather and great uncle were among the 55,000 - and to confirm what was posted above, they were fighting against the Russians, rather than for the Germans.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bit of a long story. I'm working for an international company and got the opportunity to transfer to Tallinn from Budapest back in 2004. I met my and then later married my Latvian wife in 2008 and moved onto Riga keeping the same job as it covers all 3 Baltic countries. Depending on when you are coming to Riga and also your music tastes, there are a couple of good concerts coming up in Riga that could be worth going to - Foo Fighters on 21st June and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers on 27th July. Tickets are still available for both.

Hello ES - Marrying a local, that is just how I wound up in Sussex!

Anyway many thanks for your tips. :thumbsup:

It looks like 9th-12th June so will miss both gigs - a shame, I have always fancied seeing Foo Fighters live, a job for another day...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Thanks for all your tips, we got back earlier this evening having had a very enjoyable break. Stayed in the Hotels-Radisson Elizabetes and it was very good indeed, also did a fair few of your other tips but sadly we were Touristy enough to do the River/Canal Tour as well. :blush:

The War Museum was a bit depressing, Latvians have had a lot of shit to put up with over their history, they do seem to like a bit of a ruck though..

As you say Skybar views are something else. Lots of good Beers although I was somewhat held back by Mrs Jakarta! Put on a Jacket & Shirt last night to get a bit of Culture down me (LNO Carmen at the Opera House). Don't normally like Opera but this was an updated version based on gang warfare and even I enjoyed it (lots of brownie points have been earned).

Not expensive, not far away, would recommend to NSCer's, weather was very pleasant as well. Once again many thanks, NSC is sometimes full of dickheads but there are clearly lots of Good Guys out there.:thumbsup:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Another vote for folkclub, reserve a table though. Journal is great, skybar, occupation museum. The dark beers are great.

Jan 31, 2009
You're welcome and really glad you both enjoyed it. The opera house is pretty good for price-value and there's no shame in taking the canal tour - I think the bit around the park is the best part of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here