Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gregg Allman has died.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Sad news. I'll always be indebted to him for his interpretation of Jackson Browne's 'These days'. I'd credit Gregg Allman with bringing to my attention the greatest musician that has ever lived.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP another great has left us .

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Jessica....quite a few bods will recognise that one....I worked at HMV as a saturday job early/mid seventies seem to recall a fair bit of there stuff being played

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Live at Fillmore East one of the great live albums. RIP

I'll second that. Saw his son Devon perform a stonking gig last week and was thinking how the Allman musical genius gene has been passed on.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh scollobs. Sad to hear that. Weirdly, I was listening to Eat a Peach only a few days ago after forgetting about it for years. I was always impressed with how straight his hair was. The bloke did rock star long hair better than anyone. He could play a bit too.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I never got to seeing The Allmans. I once queued for a ticket to see them at The Finsbury Park Rainbow, but Duane died and the concert was cancelled. Previously I saw Derek and the dominoes at The Dome in Brighton. Duane Allman was unable to get a work permit and Clapton had to manage without him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm playing Live at Fillmore East right now - it's a great album, one that's never sounded dated. Gregg Allman was a much under-rated talent

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Very sad to hear, huge in the states, maybe not quite as well known, or appreciated here. Devon Allman, his son, played in Worthing last week, sadly it sold out so I couldn't go, apparently he's a bit of a chip off the old block.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My favourite band when I was a student in the early 1970s. Bought Eat A Peach when it first came out, and then went backwards to love at Fillmore east. Probably still my favourite band ever, particularly from before Duane died.

Truly saddened by this news. When my daughter, who is staying with us for the weekend, said "One of your heroes has died", I was ready to say "not really a hero", but this time she was right.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
We've lost one of the greats
I never saw the Allmans as an entity but was lucky enough to see Greg at the Barbican a few years ago and he gave a really cracking show
I've seen Devon too and he is good - well worth catching
A very sad day for rock music lovers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I worked at HMV as a saturday job early/mid seventies seem to recall a fair bit of there stuff being played

You didn't know a guy called Tony Barnes, did you. He worked at HMV around then and, coincidentally, was the person who introduced me to the Allman Brothers

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
When I was at School, we had to do a load of random filler lessons to make up the gaps in the A Level timetable. One of these lessons was 'American Music' run by our slightly weird Economics teacher, Mr Robinson. He was basically a hippy with long hair, velvet loons and those small round tinted glasses.

These lessons were an excuse for him to bring in his album collection. We sat and listened to brilliant albums by The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane and The Doors. He was also a big fan of Southern Rock and one album he played was 'Live at Fillmore East' by The Allman Brothers Band. Listening to this fantastic album served to introduce me to other Southern Rock bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Marshall Tucker Band.

[yt]Bqa1s4jhkQ8[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here