Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mountain Bike Recommendations.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So, I'm going to do the ride 2 work scheme and I am going for the full amount possible of £1000 and I am limited to Evans Cycles only as that is who my work has set the ride 2 work scheme up with.

I used to have a Boardman hardtail but it was stolen. It cost me £600 and I loved it, even though you can obviously spend way more and get better, if you have it.

So far, I have checked out the Norco Fluid 7.2 and compared it to the Boardman Pro 29er both at £1000 and to my limited knowledge the Norco appears better spec. The Norco 7.3 is for suspension a £1,099 which we be fine but I suspect the spec will be better on the hardtail for the difference.

Anyone out there have any recommendations on mountain bikes from Evans?

I plan on going there this weekend to take a look as well.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
So, I'm going to do the ride 2 work scheme and I am going for the full amount possible of £1000 and I am limited to Evans Cycles only as that is who my work has set the ride 2 work scheme up with.

I used to have a Boardman hardtail but it was stolen. It cost me £600 and I loved it, even though you can obviously spend way more and get better, if you have it.

So far, I have checked out the Norco Fluid 7.2 and compared it to the Boardman Pro 29er both at £1000 and to my limited knowledge the Norco appears better spec. The Norco 7.3 is for suspension a £1,099 which we be fine but I suspect the spec will be better on the hardtail for the difference.

Anyone out there have any recommendations on mountain bikes from Evans?

I plan on going there this weekend to take a look as well.

Unless riding cross-country why would you ride a mountain bike to work ?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Hello,

No experience with Evans but have had a look on their website. Where will you be riding?

The SRAM NX on the 7.2 is better than the Deore on the 7.3, not brilliant, but it'll change gears. I have had to put one on my SantaCruz 5010 recently as I smashed my X0, not bothered to replace it as it does what it needs. The 7.2 has a dropper post too, IMHO the best innovation in cycling for years! 1x11 too which helps. The hard tail is a better bike. If you really want a full suspension and it has to come from Evans than that's your option.

I'd personally go for a better spec HT than a 'cheap' suspension bike.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hello,

No experience with Evans but have had a look on their website. Where will you be riding?

The SRAM NX on the 7.2 is better than the Deore on the 7.3, not brilliant, but it'll change gears. I have had to put one on my SantaCruz 5010 recently as I smashed my X0, not bothered to replace it as it does what it needs. The 7.2 has a dropper post too, IMHO the best innovation in cycling for years! 1x11 too which helps. The hard tail is a better bike. If you really want a full suspension and it has to come from Evans than that's your option.

Interesting. I'm looking to buy a bike which has a SRAM X9 derailleur. Not brilliant? My current bike has a Shimano Deore XT which has served me well and still rides smoothly. Does it compare or should I look to get something better?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Interesting. I'm looking to buy a bike which has a SRAM X9 derailleur. Not brilliant? My current bike has a Shimano Deore XT which has served me well and still rides smoothly. Does it compare or should I look to get something better?

It may well be personal preference, I just don't seem to get on with them, no matter how well indexed, they seem to need a click and half click to change. The brakes are great, actually run a set of XT on my DH bike when I was racing to keep the weight down and never has issues. I'd definitely test ride it to make your own opinions. But I seem to favor SRAM shifters and Shimano brakes on Mountain bikes.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Hello,

Hi randy Wagner

Thanks for the info. Riding will be on the south downs, I live in southwick, so from there. Also, there's a number of guys who go out after work around Redhill, not sure on the terrain but is of road though.

Definitely think hardtail will be better, as you said.

I think £1000 on a push bike is huge yet as you mention I would get "cheaper" parts on a FS. Mad world really. And as I said, I loved my Boardman and that was "only" £600!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It may well be personal preference, I just don't seem to get on with them, no matter how well indexed, they seem to need a click and half click to change. The brakes are great, actually run a set of XT on my DH bike when I was racing to keep the weight down and never has issues. I'd definitely test ride it to make your own opinions. But I seem to favor SRAM shifters and Shimano brakes on Mountain bikes.

Sorry. I misread your post. You are saying you prefer SRAM to Deore....which is good as the bike I'm looking at has SRAM.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Hi randy Wagner

Thanks for the info. Riding will be on the south downs, I live in southwick, so from there. Also, there's a number of guys who go out after work around Redhill, not sure on the terrain but is of road though.

Definitely think hardtail will be better, as you said.

I think £1000 on a push bike is huge yet as you mention I would get "cheaper" parts on a FS. Mad world really. And as I said, I loved my Boardman and that was "only" £600!

Redhill isn't too far from Peaslake, some of the best riding in South England can be found over there. A couple Pro's live in the area, trails from Mild to Wild and everything in between.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
As for security, what I did when getting a new bike recently was sign up to SmartWater. It's £12 for an annual subscription, they send you a marking kit in the post and take the details of your bike and it's proven to work. That and a bike lock approved by insurers (like the ABUS U-lock I own) might give you a little piece of mind.

Although as the OP is probably quite a keen cyclist (more so even than me), this may not come as news to him - but it might come in handy for others who are reading this thread.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As for security, what I did when getting a new bike recently was sign up to SmartWater. It's £12 for an annual subscription, they send you a marking kit in the post and take the details of your bike and it's proven to work. That and a bike lock approved by insurers (like the ABUS U-lock I own) might give you a little piece of mind.

Although as the OP is probably quite a keen cyclist (more so even than me), this may not come as news to him - but it might come in handy for others who are reading this thread.
News to me, thanks, I will take a look.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I live in Wales we have mountains and I bought a bike from Halfords for £200. I get up mountains daily..........

Triumph

Apr 30, 2017
I have just bought a Norco Fluid 7.1 and absolutely love it, although it is above your price range. One benefit of Evans is the trade in, I bought a wreck of a bike for £20 and that got me £100 discount on my Norco. So that may help you a little.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I use two different style locks at the same time. Similarly, highly rated on the insurers/police lists.

It seems to work in that light-fingered vermin pick on someone else's bike instead.

Shame to have carry them around, but a necessity.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

This looks fairly decent in your price range

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-scott-scale-960-50218/

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I got a voodoo bizango for £600. I'm not a massive bike geek but I really like it. 20 gears, 29" wheels, front suspension, disk brakes. Probably not to the highest spec models out there but probably the best bike I've had.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here