Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do something that only 4% of UK people do.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They have made it a lot harder, having removed mobile blood wagons

I used to give regularly but it's become so difficult that I haven't given for a couple of years. Every venue in Brighton is two bus rides away so it's the best part of an hour to get to each venue - so that's about three hours out of your day to get it all done. And they're only in the afternoon (when I need to be home for the kids) or the evening (which means even longer to wait for buses). They used to have sessions in the town centre - I've given in the Pavilion and next to the station - but they've stopped those now.

The website says it's "quick and easy" to give blood - it's anything but

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I used to give regularly and didn't mind the long delays as it was for a very good cause. I even didn't mind them selling my blood to other countries as I knew it would still benefit the NHS. But then there came a time when I was unable to donate as my blood count was too low and then a couple of years later the government forced the sale of the blood transfusion service so I never went back..... Now I don't give and won't again as I am a group B and so my blood isn't really needed anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Unless you've got a rare blood type, a WAY more useful thing to do would be to opt into the Organ Donor scheme. Tragically for many people waiting for a life-saving organ, it's still a case of opting IN. If it was a case of opting OUT, there'd be way more organs than there were potential recipients.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I'm not allowed to. Dodgy ticker.

Me too, gave for about 25 years tho. Signed up in first or second term at university and went as often as I could. I never had any problems (not even an empty arm, or an empty anything). It always seemed like a small return to the NHS for all the care I got as a nipper (tonsils and adenoids out, corrective eye and dental surgery). I think it is a sad reflection on society that more people don't help with something that, after all, costs nothing but their time.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My next one is Tuesday evening in West Chiltington, pint number 44 (that must be several arms full!)

It is piece of piss to donate and everyone should at least see if they can do it.

All done in 15 minutes & free tea/coffee/biscuits/crisps. (A highly unofficial tip which the NHS won't give you and I found out in the 1990's is if you have a couple of beers before giving the blood comes out lickety-split!) :lolol:

Sadly Mrs Jakarta can't anymore as she has had cancer. One of the things that upset her the most after she had been diagnosed.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Unless you've got a rare blood type, a WAY more useful thing to do would be to opt into the Organ Donor scheme. Tragically for many people waiting for a life-saving organ, it's still a case of opting IN. If it was a case of opting OUT, there'd be way more organs than there were potential recipients.

This.

My son will need a lung transplant at some point and When it happens it will be because of someone being a registered organ donor. When I'm dead they can have what they like from me!

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
It's a shame as I used to feel that I was doing something really worthwhile but unfortunately I'm not allowed to donate anymore since being diagnosed as diabetic.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It's a shame as I used to feel that I was doing something really worthwhile but unfortunately I'm not allowed to donate anymore since being diagnosed as diabetic.

Mrs Jakarta was diagnosed diabetic in 2001 and still donated - it was the cancer that stopped donations - perhaps you should challenge that decision?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never liked the idea of giving blood, but I did psyche myself up for it, took a deep breath, and took myself off to a workplace blood donor session. They wouldn't take mine, and I haven't been back since.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I would love to give blood, but am not allowed to due to the ridiculous gay men's blood is dangerous attitude that prevails, despite all blood donated being tested for everything known under the sun.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All done in 15 minutes & free tea/coffee/biscuits/crisps.

It's not 15 minutes though, or anything like it. As I said, it's about 3 to 4 hours in Brighton but even when I went to a centre five minutes from my office, it took well over an hour.

I will give again now the kids are older and I can leave them for a bit but childcare, work and giving blood don't mix.

I am on the organ donor list though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here